I'm quitting!

Options
As of today I'm giving up sugary food. I know this should have been one of the first things to go :( I'm a full fledged sugar addict!! I just needed to put this out there so I can hold myself accountable.....Supporters would be great!!!

Replies

• bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Congrats!

I wish I could have given it up completely. Instead, I just eat it in moderation along with the rest of my daily meals, even if it means counting out each individual piece or measuring my foods so I don't go over my plan. For me, if I forbid a type of food, I tend to crave it even more until I break from weakness. If cold turkey works better for you, go for it!

Keep us posted on your journey!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    Add me I'm a sugar addict. The best thing that has helped me is if I am out and about just buy a single piece at the register. If it is a dessert craving find a yogurt in that flavor, like lemon or cherry pie. I like Yoplait Thick and creamy hate chunks in my yogurt.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I wish I could have given it up completely. Instead, I just eat it in moderation along with the rest of my daily meals, even if it means counting out each individual piece or measuring my foods so I don't go over my plan. For me, if I forbid a type of food, I tend to crave it even more until I break from weakness. If cold turkey works better for you, go for it!

Keep us posted on your journey!

Same here, I don't want to cut anything out completely - was my brother's birthday today so had a piece of sticky toffee pudding when I got home, but don't have that on a regular basis so I'm not worried about going over my sugar intake today (which usually goes over thanks to fruits etc...)

Best of luck on the sugar cut Lindsay :smile:
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    When changing your life, the experts say you shouldn't change everything at once because it's overwhelming and you'll burn out fast. So it's okay that you are just getting to this! Waiting until now may make you more successful in the long run. You were being strategic and didn't even know it!
  • malins2
    malins2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thats great!! I used to be addicted to sugar and it is such a relief not to be anymore! You will be so happy you did this!!
  • cookie_norman98
    Options
    I really understand where ur coming from. I love sugar myself but I believe if u try eating fresh fruit will help the urge alittle. I am going to try it as well. Be encourage !!
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Late last year I gave up sodas and sweets as I was eating loads of chocolate, caramel, etc and drinking many cans of soda daily. Don't miss it at all.

I'm not 100% sugar free though as I'm sure there's sugar in some normal food I have. Not concerned though since it's minor. Oh and sometimes I have a lemonade when I'm dining out, so that's sugar. I just try to limit myself there. And try to limit my Starbucks visit to once per week or two.

I wish you the best!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugary foods and all sweet tasting things (including sugar substitutes) for Lent. It was NOT easy. Once you get through the first few, terrible days, it gets better. :) Good luck!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I gave up all sugars, fat and processed foods....and lost 20 pounds in a month.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Some many things that are good for you naturally have sugar in them as well! I have such a hard time keeping my sugar down for this reason alone! Basically I tried to stay away from artificial and processed crap!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have a gnarly sweet tooth as well, and keeping my sweets intake in check is my biggest challenge. I started eating fruit or small pieces of dark chocolate when I got sweet cravings, and now I find I crave fruit more than cookies and ice cream.

Most of my sugar intake these days comes from fruit, dairy, and honey or agave. The only presweetened thing I eat on a daily basis anymore is breakfast cereal or prepackage oatmeal, but the sugar is pretty minimal so I think it's okay.
  • rudemommafox
    rudemommafox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    you inspired me to do my own quitting post. I am joining you on quitting Fast food thou. I don't eat many sweets now so I need to quit the Fast Food.

Beverly A.
  • Rhonda8165
    Rhonda8165 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • MyTime4Health
    Options
    You can do this! Just keep telling yourself this can be done:) Good Luck!!:smile:
  • lindsayb0422
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive thoughts!! I gave up pop about 6 months ago and it doesn't even taste good to me now!! My problem is cake, cookies, candy and all the other overly processed sugary goodness. My goal is to stick with fruits when I want sweets and I love the coco dusted almonds with only 1 gram of sugar. I'm taking it one day at a time ....I can do this :happy:
  • AMS58
    AMS58 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am a huge sugar addict... there I said it and out loud too!!!!

I wish I could give it up... it is soooo hard.
    Good luck with your quest.
    Add me :smile:
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started eating fruit or small pieces of dark chocolate when I got sweet cravings, and now I find I crave fruit more than cookies and ice cream.

This is what happens, it can be hard at first but you will get there
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If I want sweet I go for fruit, but every once in awhile I will have 5 jelly beans or 1/4 of a Nestle Crunch Bar.. but only if I did not indulge anywhere else that day and I have the calories to waste...

My hardest thing to give up is the flavored iced coffees, they were my spring and summer morning go to.....
    I will experiment this summer with making my own low cal versions, but it will not be the same as stopping at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and grabbing a large Mocha or Carmel something..........
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Hey ;-) im 'an all or nothing' kind of girl, i've given it up completely, cut out sweets, choc, biscuits, cake, crisps...you lose the taste for them anyway...if i want something nice i have strawberries or blueberries...everyones different but good luck x
  • glbragg
    glbragg Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you really want to give up sugary food then you need to look into the 30 Day Diabetes Cure. Even if you don't have diabetes it teaches you how to stop eating sugary food and its an easy day by day step down from your food. My mother has done it for a year now and has lost over 60 lbs and now its a lifestyle. Its really a good read with a lot of information. You should check it out.

http://30daydiabetescure.com/