Double chin getting me down

Options
I am so happy with my weight loss efforts so far, despite those around me, who see me all the time, not actually noticing the change; however, my biggest issue I have with everything is, My Fat Head!

I have ALWAYS had a large head (and yes I can actually say that I am big boned); however, along with my large head I have the added double chin, which makes my large head look fricken huge compared to others. Now I know this isn't the case but I feel it is this which is stopping others from actually noticing the change which is happening on my body.

As I said I do know it isn't this, but in my mind it is, and for me to be able to start feeling better in myself I need to be working on then things which is bringing me down... At this point in time ... My double chin.

Please don't get me wrong either, I do know that over time this issue will resolve itself and my double chin will go away as I lose more weight; but, it is more of a mental thing - the want to be doing something more about it, and doing it now.

So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions/tips on facial exercises or other things, which have worked for you or others you know of?

Replies

• Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing, I think only weight loss through diet/exercise is about the only thing to reduce the chin situation. I lost twenty pounds and it really made a difference in my face. Good luck! P.S. I think you would look really cute with bangs!
  • jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    okay I have heard you can do chin exercises but I am not sure about that type I too have a double chin and I despise it, try changing your hair for now ( bangs or layers) and like I said chin exercises
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately a lot of that just comes down to genetics. I start getting noticeable jowls at around 15-18% body fat. Just think of it as giving you more motivation to stay fit once you get to where you want to be :)
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    There aren't any exercises that will get rid of a double chin. I have the same hang-up.
    I have decided that when I get to my goal weight, the double chin will be gone either naturally or through surgery.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Do 100 ab crunches a day but never let your head touch the floor. I do it "prisoner" style, hands behind my head. You will really feel the strain in you muscles under your chin.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Ahhh...the dreaded double chin. A double chin is generally just fat, and there's no way to spot reduce. Just hang in there.
  • Lindac672411
    Options
    Tilt your head back on a slight angle and say "Apple" 20x each day. That will work on the jawline. neck and lessen the double chin.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have a large head too. I hate looking at pictures of my boyfriend and me because his is so...normal compared to mine LOL
    I've gotten compliments of weight loss (even when I gained weight) just by changing my hair cut!
    if it's something you would consider doing, search images of hair cuts on women with a similar face shape as you! that's what I did :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have a large head too. I hate looking at pictures of my boyfriend and me because his is so...normal compared to mine

I'm the same way when I see a picture of myself and my 17-year-old. Her head is so small and cute, and mine is...well...not. lol
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    okay I have heard you can do chin exercises but I am not sure about that type I too have a double chin and I despise it, try changing your hair for now ( bangs or layers) and like I said chin exercises

This, I have found layers with the shortest ones hanging just below my chin make a huge difference so I have used that haircut for years.
  • angelique_inspiration
    Options
    I can understand were you're coming from, because I struggle from the same issue. I wish I had an answer for you and me. I think when we lose enough weight the fat in our faces will go to. One thing I have noticed is people that lift weights have noticeably lean toned faces as well, so I have strarted lifting 10 lb. weights. I haven't noticed a difference yet but I just started a few weeks ago. So time will tell. Do you lift weights? Well just hang in there, I'm sure once you get closer to your goal weight you will definitely notice a difference in your face. If not, I guess we will both be getting lyposuction under our chins!
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this is the post I've been wanting to start for a few weeks now. I feel like we need a "Double chin/jowls" support group. My stupid double chin was actually what motivated me one day to get on here and lose weight - I'm tired of looking at the damn thing.

I started at 171 (I'm 5'2), and I have lost 20 pounds. Know what? It's still there. I'm so ticked. I have been coming to the realization that it IS mostly genetic and age related. I weigh now what I did when I got married 10 yrs ago, and it's much more noticeable now. I have about 35 more pounds to lose but I am actually not that hopeful anymore - some of my older female relatives have jowls/double chin sag to the extent it doesn't even look like they have necks anymore. I suspect we have really poor skin elasticity in my family.

Like the other above poster....once I lose this weight, and give it around a year for skin to firm up however much it will....I'm going for surgery.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The double chin....bane of my existance. But, I have learned that how I see me is not how others are seeing me. We are always more critical of ourselves. I see a second head forming under my chin...my family and friends so not! :) I decided the best way to make the chin go away was to "ignore" it. I don't allow myself to focus on it. I am doing what I need to do to be fit and healthy and the chin will eventually "fade" away. Stay positive. You will get there!
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this is the post I've been wanting to start for a few weeks now. I feel like we need a "Double chin/jowls" support group. My stupid double chin was actually what motivated me one day to get on here and lose weight - I'm tired of looking at the damn thing.

I started at 171 (I'm 5'2), and I have lost 20 pounds. Know what? It's still there. I'm so ticked. I have been coming to the realization that it IS mostly genetic and age related. I weigh now what I did when I got married 10 yrs ago, and it's much more noticeable now. I have about 35 more pounds to lose but I am actually not that hopeful anymore - some of my older female relatives have jowls/double chin sag to the extent it doesn't even look like they have necks anymore. I suspect we have really poor skin elasticity in my family.

Like the other above poster....once I lose this weight, and give it around a year for skin to firm up however much it will....I'm going for surgery.

Your post had me laughing so hard, you are hilarious! I too have a fuller face, and it has always driven me CrAaaAzzzyy!!!! Even when I lose weight it seems like the last place for the fat to leave. Grrrrr...it's looking better than it has in a while, but I have lost 80 pounds in the last year for heaven sake!!! I am now noticing that my neck area directly under my chin looks a little looser and chicken-like. LOL So now that my face and chin are smaller I have the loose skin. SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    my double chin has always been my biggest insecurity. =/
    the only advice/motivation i can give is that usually when people keep losing weight, their face really gets thinned out so I think it will eventually be reduced/go away completely if you continue on your weight loss journey :P good luck to you, mate!

p.s. i also think that people with bad posture are more susceptible to double chins, like me =/ even when i was 100lbs as a teen I had a small one :'( but now that I'm exercising my posture is so much better!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and give it time. I know that's not what you want to hear, but I don't think there is any other option.
    My double chin has definitely changed to a single, so it is possible!
  • clairieb
    clairieb Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "Your post had me laughing so hard, you are hilarious! I too have a fuller face, and it has always driven me CrAaaAzzzyy!!!! Even when I lose weight it seems like the last place for the fat to leave. Grrrrr...it's looking better than it has in a while, but I have lost 80 pounds in the last year for heaven sake!!! I am now noticing that my neck area directly under my chin looks a little looser and chicken-like. LOL So now that my face and chin are smaller I have the loose skin. SERENITY NOW!!!!!!"
    [/quote]

Same here! Now that I've lost a decent amount of weight, my double chin, while much smaller, has become very loose and wrinkly looking. I don't care for it, and have started doing some chin exercises that are supposed to help tone the area. I won't hold my breath, but it's worth a shot!

14632831.png
  • BecCutting
    Options
    Thanks guys... I did see some interesting ideas in amongst these, which I will be sure to give a shot. Thanks again
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is sooo me. I can't wear beanies, or hats or anything because of my big head. If you find anything, I wanna know too lol.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had a noticeable double chin at my highest weight, especially when I smiled. It disappeared after losing weight, however it still magically appears in profile pictures when I smile. I've just let it go since it's just not worth worrying so much about and make sure most pictures are shot from the front if possible when I'm smiling. :laugh: