Weight Watchers? Opinions?

Options
2»

Replies

• bananaface222
    bananaface222 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i lost 3 and half stone on ww vintage points it works got to goal then pp came out didnt like it doing this u do get more to eat than ww as i have woked out my cals to points i have all new books if u want them good luck with what u decide
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Other than free fruit I don't understand the advantage of WW over MFP. MFP makes it so easy to count calories that you don't need points. JMHO, save the money you would be spending on WW and use it to reward yourself for reaching fitness or weight loss milestones.

Agree with this ^^^
  • happypath101
    Options
    I've done weight watchers and loved it. But, I love MFP even more - and it's free. IMHO this site has everything ww has, and more.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm a WW lifetime member. I lost over 100 lbs, 11 years ago. I'm a believer! You have to do what works for you!

Good luck on your journey!
    J
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I started at 330 too! WW didn't work for me personally as they preach moderation and you can still eat ___ as long as you don't go over your points. For me, having a much larger amount to lose and clearly more issues with food than the average middle aged woman looking to lose 25 pounds (that was my group anyway), I didn't feel like it really addressed my needs and personality. I spent too much time trying to figure out how to use points for chocolate and salty snacks even though I knew that wasn't good for me (but WW said I could!).

I used the 17 day diet to go cold turkey on sugar and non-veg/fruit type carbs. It worked quite quickly and very well for me. Then after losing 58 lbs, I started to plateau (okay, cheat and get bored!), so I joined here. So far, so good.. and FREE!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers before in 2002 and was starving myself pretty much, after a month, I only lost 6 pounds so I quit.

I was going to try it again with the new system (since I've gained about 20 pounds since my first try) but after I saw the prices and remembered how hungry I was when I tried the first time, I miraculously found this site. Now I'm down 3 pounds in a week and it's so easy to keep myself accountable if I don't have to deprive myself of anything. I also started exercising (swimming an hour twice a week and walking on a treadmill for 45-50 mins three times a week)

I love MFP!! Here's to losing 52 more pounds! :)
  • cindysuew
    cindysuew Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a great program. I reached Lifetime years ago but unfortunately failed when I thought I could eat a little here and a little there without keeping track of what I was eating. We all know what that means......I gained it all back and then some. I've been back on WW for almost a year now and not having much success. It seems with WW, I'm always trying to figure out how many points something has and not necessarily paying attention to whether it's really a good choice or not. And so I'm back here to MFP after being gone for a few years. Gonna give it a serious go of it this time!

This site is free and very easy to navigate......and I've discovered the phone app works great too. I'll be cancelling my WW on line subscription.
  • sle135
    sle135 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a WW member; both online and meetings. I don't attend the meetings but felt like I needed the accountability going to have someone else see my weight/progress so I go simply to get weighed. I do love the online tools and smartphone apps that sync. I loved that I learned to snack much more healthily (I'm sure that is a made up word!) by grabbing a banana when I'm starving rather than something else. I do find myself snacking better which is a great change for me.

All that being said, when my neighbor asked me to walk 4 days a week with her, she raved about this site/app. Since I loved WW online I listened but was sure I would stay there. The more she talked about it, the more I checked around here. I kept trying to find the things I would miss about WW if I quit and did MFP....I can't find anything! This site is set up so similar. Plus, now that I have "friends" here, that satisfies my "accountability" issue. My friend knows I have started the 30DS (I'm on day 5!) and she would comment if I didn't post about it. She also knows how much I want to lose, so even though she doesn't know how much I weigh, she sees my loss (or not!)

I am planning to quit WW at my next monthly payment...and switch to this exclusively. I like the calorie counting better for some reason, although I do think WW makes it easy to do the Points Plus thing.

As one poster said, the ONLY reason I would do WW over this if you feel the meetings would help you. You mentioned you have a large goal which will take time. Maybe the meetings would help keep you feeling motivated. So pay for the meetings but do online here. It's not hard to convert points to calories, especially when you can scan items here! My WW foods are in this database.

Good for you, whatever you decide! You will feel so much better that you are doing SOMETHING for yourself in such a positive way.
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact I attended WW 5to 7 different times, lost weight, but when I stopped I gained it back and more., my son found MFP for me. I realized that WW count the calories for me and translate it into points, why should I spend money when MFP was doing the same thing but making it so much easier and free. Thanks MFP!
  • Caseybug799707
    Options
    I've joined and rejoined WW MANY times over the years. I think it is a good program, but finally realized that it wasn't the best fit for me. I mostly did the version with meetings, but had tried the online as well.

The meetings were OK, but I found it difficult to really make connections with my fellow WWers.

The biggest issue for me came down to $$. In my area WW is about $13/week. MFP is, of course, free and has (in my opinion) more accessible support and encouragement.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I went for a couple months in 2004, before they started all the online stuff. I DREADED those meetings; they were undoubtedly the worst part of my week. It was a room full of middle-aged women who would spend the entire meeting *****ing and moaning about what they couldn't eat and how hard it was and how they didn't get enough points and figuring out ways they could eat more and...ugh, it was awful. I was an 18 year old college freshman with a generally positive attitude and those people sucked the life right out of me. I didn't lose any weight either, so the whole thing was a wash.
  • lorriratzlaff
    lorriratzlaff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Grace, good for you for taking the bull by the horns and tackling your weight!! You can do it! I personally have done WW before ... I think 4 times. Every time I joined it worked, for a little while, but then it just all got too expensive so I would try and do it on my own, and that just doesn't work. As anyone knows who's been on a weight loss roller coaster being involved in a community gives you way more success!! My success now comes through using MFP as well as being on the Body by Vi health challenge. I love the tracking tools of MFP and the products and community with Body by Vi is truly amazing!! I've lost 40 lbs and 18 inches overall and now I'm working on firming up!!

Good luck to you though! Let me know if you'd like some more information on Body by Vi! I'm happy to share with you! We are the #1 health challenge in North America for a reason! :)
  • Lenindaire
    Lenindaire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i did WW about 5 years ago. it worked really well for me at that time, but then i moved and had a baby so i gained most of my weight back. the only reason i didn't go back was the cost. this place so far seems pretty similar just calories instead of points.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I believe it works if you set your mind to it. It didn't work for me because I would get annoyed with the points and quit after a few days. MFP is much easier to stick to because it's not a hassle to track food and i like the app because I can scan the barcodes on food and it enters in my diary
  • JessieArt
    JessieArt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've done WW before and lost weight. However, I lost the most weight doing the South Beach Diet. For me, it taught me how to balance my food, eat good carbs and it cleansed my body of sugar and got rid of my cravings.

Plus, everytime I cook a South Beach recipe my kids BEG me to make it again. :glasses:
  • Bobbydigitalx
    Options
    Highly recommend
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have heard people have great success with it and feel like they overall have a good grasp on how to eat healthy.

That being said, when I can count calories for free here, I don't really feel like paying for WW. Sure, they have points, but those basically focus in on getting you to eat protein and fiber and less fat and processed carbs. I can just as easily monitor that myself here.
  • naalki
    naalki Posts: 26
    Options
    I did WW..and lost alot of weight...but i must say..for me there is no difference to MFP..only WW you count points and MPF calories...so i guess its what you feel more comfortable with.You have to count in both,they both work the same but one is free......good luck with whatever you choose
  • DivaDiane
    DivaDiane Posts: 73
    Options
    WW = $$

MFP = free

I rest my case.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have tried WW a few times, knowing it's a pretty good sound program. I agree with what someone said about hating the meetings. They weren't motivating to me at all, and didn't really push me to do better. I couldn't relate to hardly anyone in the room. So if you decide to do it, I encourage you to try bunches of meetings until you find the crowd that matches your need.

I really didn't like counting points- things have calories, why not count those? To me it was kind of stupid! lol. And I mean no disrespect to anyone who has done well with the program, or any disrespect to the program. I also think it's beneficial to watch ratios of carb/protein/fats etc (whatever ratio works for you). I think that matters, not just how many points there are in your diet.

And lastly, I really felt like they started pushing products after products........ trying to sell me something.

GOod luck with your decision, and do what's best for you!