Burning all Calories

Options
Does your body go into starvation mode if you eat but burn all of the calories?

Replies

• JupitersGhost
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, it can do, yes.

I may not be an expert on this topic, but from what I know you are meant to eat your exercise calories back so you are at least netting your BMR. Your BMR is the minimum amount of calories you need to maintain vital bodily functions and if you eat under this amount for a long period of time, your metabolism will slow in order for survival, which makes your weight loss harder in the long run.

If your BMR is 1200 calories and you burn 500 calories, you will need to eat 1700 calories that day, otherwise you are only netting 700 calories for the day.

Hope this helps.
  • JupitersGhost
    Options
    Under the tools section on this website, you can find a BMR calculator to help you figure out your minimum needs.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    How far can you drive your car with an empty tank?

Your body can't run the functions of life if you attempt to burn off everything you eat. What energy will you use for respiration, heartbeat, digestion?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

does a myth happen ?

dunno, it's a myth.

You either burn or store the calories you eat.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

does a myth happen ?

dunno, it's a myth.

Yarwell, why are you using a pic from the MInesotta starvation study as your profile pic?
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

does a myth happen ?

dunno, it's a myth.

Yarwell, why are you using a pic from the MInesotta starvation study as your profile pic?

I had been wondering this also.
  • TamTamW
    TamTamW Posts: 27
    Options
    So, let me get this straight...

I am given 1420 calories for the day, then I exercise and am given another 600 calories. I have to eat these calories or I won't lose weight? I have been keeping below my 1420 calories and doing some sort of exercise.

Confused!
  • chnkytim42
    chnkytim42 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    okay on the car analogy, the car would, but if you loaded it with an extra 100 gallons of fuel you could drive very far without filling it all the way up........ BAZONGA