SMOKERS UNITE THREAD

Options

Replies

• reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I hate myself every time I smoke. Since I've started running though, I've cut back. Hopefully, my desire to be a better runner will win out over my desire to smoke.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    It's funny...I never had a continuous habit except when I quit smoking weed. I still smoke one every now and then and I think about the commercial with the lady with the hole in throat :( scary. My boyfriend cannot stank cigarette smoke so it helps to not ever fully pick up the habit. You realize how bad you smell once you've stopped.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    raucherlunge-nichtraucherlunge-ENGL.jpg

also

IF YOU SMOKE
    2844349731_you_stink_xlarge.gif
    AND NO ONE ACTUALLY LIKES BREATHING WHEN YOU'RE NEAR, BUT THEY CAN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE IT'S NOT PC

slow-painful-death.jpg

antismoking18.jpg

Enjoy your cigarettes. :sick:

*SIGHS* There is always one person to ruin the fun for everyone else.

Oh god cannot STAND these type of people, everyone does something that may not be great for them in the long run. No ones making you smoke or asking your thoughts on the matter. Go start a different thread for giving out unwanted advice k thanks!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I smoke 2 maybe 3 a day. Sometimes 1, sometimes none. Never in the house, never in front of my kids (no, my parents were not smokers) did not smoke while I was preggers. Actually quit for about 6 years. I can go a week without one and be fine. I just enjoy my mid morning smoke and my night smoke! My hubs always says if you only smoke a little why even smoke at all and I tell him when you quit chewing I will quit smoking and that usually shuts him up! lol
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I feel like I might be ready to try quitting, I have never tried before. I started smoking after my kids were born so I didn't have to stop while I was pregnant. I am tired of the smell, and the expense and the wrinkles around my lips! But I just LIKE IT! it is so relaxing and enjoyable...and I know there is no way to quit smoking and try to lose weight at the same time, that would be self-sabotage!

I have to disagree a bit here. I quit three weeks ago and to me, what better time to quit than when I'm logging calories and exercising. There is no way I'll gain weight, and I haven't. I liked smoking but I don't like the wrinkles, the smell, and the coughing and wheezing. For me it was just time.
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I just started again in January - was three years since I quit and always missed that first puff! I should quit but wanting is the key
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I grew up with a chain smoking mother. The smell of cigarettes and that lingering smell on your clothes, skin, walls, back packs, tables, any thing is probably the most disgusting thing I can think of.

I admit I completely discriminate against smokers. That makes me a complete *kitten* hole I know, but when you grew up with a mother that blew the smoke back in your face after you asked her to roll down the window in the car, that has lasting effects.

I won't even open a door for a person that smokes, I see them as a lower class of human beings. Hypocritical coming from a fat guy with his own vices I know, but smokers suck.

I just wanted to bomb your thread and tell you that.
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke because I'm addicted, I smoke simply because I love it. Each time I've found out I was pregnant, I've quit that same day and not smoked for the duration of my pregnancies. Last year was hospitalized for two weeks. Doctor suggested giving me a patch or meds to "Help you get through your time here without smoking." I refused them and did not suffer withdrawal symptoms nor did I crave a smoke. Smoked as soon as I got home. I simply love smoking and cannot think of a reason to quit. Sorry, but it is enjoyable to me.........:smokin:

Same here, exactly! I don't smoke a whole pack a day and I can go without for hours and even days if I want to. I definitely stopped during both of my pregnancies. But I don't have the desire to stop smoking. I remember when people used to smoke in grocery stores and malls, lol.

So it will be completely ok with you guys when your children start smoking right?

I'm confused. It is mentioned that this person isn't addicted to smoking and just smokes because she loves it and can't find a reason to quit.. I just don't understand how people can't find a "reason" to quit considering all the health related evidence and facts that are out there on smoking.... especially if you're truly not addicted.

My mother has smoked since she was 16 and has tried to quit once, but is almost 50 and still smoking away. She has always been very into fitness and exercise but it saddens me to see her start developing a slight cough when she exercises or from the slighted exertion lately. She shrugs it off like its nothing but I know deep down it has to w/the smoking.

this really bugs the **** out of me. your mom is a grown *kitten* woman and if she wants to smoke then let her. smoking is not good for you. we all know. but neither is running your mouth about not smoking to smokers. that can be bad for your health too.

oh but i forgot those that are on here preaching the non-smoking bull**** are perfect. you make me want to smoke a cig and blow it in your face.

i say if you smoke thats your choice. too many people want to take away our freedom of choices.

Yes, how unreasonable of her to be upset about her mother's choice to smoke and physically showing signs of deterioration as a result.

If people want to smoke and inflict harm on themselves, then go for gold, so long as it's away from us non-smokers. The problem I have is when I am out in public and have it blown in my face, or when there are 5 million cigarette butts on the ground. I am so thankful that here in Australia, most places have banned smoking. I remember coming home absolutely stinking of smoke when pubs and clubs used to allow smoking inside. Yuck!

Congrats to all those who have given up.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I know we all want to quit....and should...but we know we all still enjoy smoking.

I hang my head down in shame. Yes, you're right.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to bum any of you out, just to share my experience. Twice in my life I had quit for over a year; but started again. I was by no means a heavy smoker (about a pack every 2 days). My kids never saw me smoke and I mostly did it at work due to the fact that my wife is a non-smoker. All that aside, here is my story. On Sept 8, 2011 I urinated blood. No pain, discomfort or any warning or health issue. It only happened once; but I immediately started the Dr. visits the next morning. Well, sparing all of the details I HAD BLADDER CANCER!! Not only that; but it is DIRECTLY related to smoking in males. I was fortunate enough to have caught it early and all of it was removed; but I will tell you that the treatments where a BIT*H and while going threw them is when I decided to get my sh@t together and get back in shape. I threw out the smokes the day I got my lab results back and have not had nor wanted one since. They nearly robbed me of watching my children have children of their own. We always think that it happens to "other" people; but guess what...eventually you turn out to be the other people. Even as I write this there is a nervous feeling overwhelming me today due to the fact that I go for my first 3 month scoping since finishing my treatments. Don't get me wrong ...I AM A FIGHTER!! If they find more polyps, I'll kick it's *kitten* again ...but some fights you would be better to avoid if you have the choice to. MFP is about healthy living and choices...if you smoke, you are not doing either. You just assume eat until you explode, because the cigs will kill you quicker than the food ever will. :explode:

Same boat here. The BCG treatments are not fun, but the end result is! I had a good scope and have started maintenance treatments. I have my 2nd scope on Monday. Good luck to you!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    i quit 3 years ago, but i still have dreams about them. but then when i do have a pull off one, it tastes disgusting. glad i gave it up, but can totally relate to not wanting to let it go. i quit during my 1st pregnancy and started as soon as i stopped nursing. it was only when i gave up with pregnancy #2 that it stuck...
  • Christinah5150
    Christinah5150 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 13 years and I quit 4 months ago. It's bittersweet. It feels like breaking up with someone you love because you know their no good for you and you would be better off without them but you still miss them and want to be with them...but you can't. Ugh!
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    oh, and food for thought, my 44 year old sister-in-law and my 49 year old aunt both have emphysema. that could have been me. glad i quit. basically, you slowly asphyxiate over many years. but, i also used to be that person who liked it and who could quit anytime. i am amazed by the improvement in my lung volume and my sense of taste and smell. i didn't realize how much i was missing out on!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I quit last July after being a smoker for 26 years. I watched my mother die of lung cancer and she never smoked.

But that being said, goddamn I miss them sometimes! Just the sheer comfort and familiarity of them. Like an old intimate friend. I don't miss them enough however. I don't think I possibly could. I don't really care if others smoke though. I'm not a Judgey McJudgerson.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    I quit last July after being a smoker for 26 years. I watched my mother die of lung cancer and she never smoked.

But that being said, goddamn I miss them sometimes! Just the sheer comfort and familiarity of them. Like an old intimate friend. I don't miss them enough however. I don't think I possibly could. I don't really care if others smoke though. I'm not a Judgey McJudgerson.

:flowerforyou:
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    I'm a filthy quitter myself.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I don't smoke because I'm addicted, I smoke simply because I love it. Each time I've found out I was pregnant, I've quit that same day and not smoked for the duration of my pregnancies. Last year was hospitalized for two weeks. Doctor suggested giving me a patch or meds to "Help you get through your time here without smoking." I refused them and did not suffer withdrawal symptoms nor did I crave a smoke. Smoked as soon as I got home. I simply love smoking and cannot think of a reason to quit. Sorry, but it is enjoyable to me.........:smokin:

Same here, exactly! I don't smoke a whole pack a day and I can go without for hours and even days if I want to. I definitely stopped during both of my pregnancies. But I don't have the desire to stop smoking. I remember when people used to smoke in grocery stores and malls, lol.

So it will be completely ok with you guys when your children start smoking right?

My parent's are non-smokers...this has zero effect on my heavy smoking :) your point is irrelevant

It very well could have an effect on your children, is it worth it? Or are they not worth it?
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    :smokin: Sometimes all I think about as I smoke is........ Gosh I got to quit smoking... I will quit.... I will. If I care about myself enough to change my unhealthy eating, then I care about myself to quit smoking. When it comes to a choice of either getting on the eliptical or smoking... Gosh what choice do you make. You know what it feels like to leave the gym, get in your car, and smoke a cigarette on the way home? Haaah. I do... Smoke a cigarette on the way to the gym too why don't I? ... Pretty hilarious. Haaah. Its nasty... Too bad that was something I had in common with my Dad... Smoke cigarettes while fixing tractors on the ranch. Farmers smoking together.... Eat... smoke a cigarette. Smoke a cigarette while your waiting to eat. Get in your car, light a cigarette. Talk on the phone, light a cigarette. Yuck.. Getting a nicotein overdose... Oh gosh... I guess its a bit self destructive to ourselves.. To myself. Its bad. When I was a kid I used to like the cigarette bubblegum. Okie Dokie... :smokin:
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little late, and should go in the other thread complaining about people smoking at the gym, but I felt like it would be appreciated more here!

cig.png
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

I'm confused. It is mentioned that this person isn't addicted to smoking and just smokes because she loves it and can't find a reason to quit.. I just don't understand how people can't find a "reason" to quit considering all the health related evidence and facts that are out there on smoking.... especially if you're truly not addicted.

My mother has smoked since she was 16 and has tried to quit once, but is almost 50 and still smoking away. She has always been very into fitness and exercise but it saddens me to see her start developing a slight cough when she exercises or from the slighted exertion lately. She shrugs it off like its nothing but I know deep down it has to w/the smoking.

this really bugs the **** out of me. your mom is a grown *kitten* woman and if she wants to smoke then let her. smoking is not good for you. we all know. but neither is running your mouth about not smoking to smokers. that can be bad for your health too.

oh but i forgot those that are on here preaching the non-smoking bull**** are perfect. you make me want to smoke a cig and blow it in your face.

i say if you smoke thats your choice. too many people want to take away our freedom of choices.

Yes, how unreasonable of her to be upset about her mother's choice to smoke and physically showing signs of deterioration as a result.

If people want to smoke and inflict harm on themselves, then go for gold, so long as it's away from us non-smokers. The problem I have is when I am out in public and have it blown in my face, or when there are 5 million cigarette butts on the ground. I am so thankful that here in Australia, most places have banned smoking. I remember coming home absolutely stinking of smoke when pubs and clubs used to allow smoking inside. Yuck!

Congrats to all those who have given up.

Too bad this thread wasnt asking how she felt about her mothers smoking. You know what, nevermind. Its pointless even trying to get you all to see the other side of it. No one said smoking was good for you. But its been said several times eating like a freaking werewolf is harmful to your health too.

Sorry but I enjoy smoking. As a matter of fact I love it. The only thing that is going to make me quit is the cost. Cheeseburgers are easier to give up than cigs.