Beginner weights for females

Options
Hey all,

I'm just starting out with weights training as i currently play soccer and do kickboxing. I'm trying to incorporate running into my regime which i do as interval training to work both anaerobic and aerobic systems. But i am unsure how often and what kind of weights to do for women? At the moment its just basic crunches and lunges and lifting with weights but i would like to know what sort of exercises, how many reps and how often a week i would need to be doing. I want mostly atm to concentrate on abs and building core strength as well as some thighs and triceps for kickboxing.

It's a very generic question I know but can anyone help me out or direct me to some internet sites that could help clarify what i need to be doing?

Thanks all I hope your journeys going well :) xx

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should do about 3 sets of 6 - 8 reps at the highest weight you can do where can keep good form but basically fail at the end (i.e. its a real struggle).

Here is a good link to a site that gives exercises for specific areas (although you should also include compound lifts that hit more than muscle group at a time such as squats, bench press etc - these will also work your core): http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Do you have access to a gym?
  • taniam16
    taniam16 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just joined a good gym with plenty of equipment. I have done a few exercises already including bench and incline stuff but don't really know how to use dumbbells or free weights too much
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah I just joined a good gym with plenty of equipment. I have done a few exercises already including bench and incline stuff but don't really know how to use dumbbells or free weights too much

The exercises on the link should be good. Start very light to make sure you have good form and can get comfortable with the 'feel' of it - when you are - go as heavy as you can safely. If you are uncomfortable with the equipment, book a session with a trainer to get them to walk you through proper use of the equipment - it will be money well spent.