Crash Diet Question!

Options
I wanted to ask how many off you have done a crash diet and kept the weight off?

Thanks for reading looking forward to your replies

xxxx

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Crash diets are nothing more than a complicated way of releasing water and glycogen out of your body faster than normal. I've done one, and won't do it again.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    There are intelligent and effective ways to create a large calorie deficit. I think saying much more than that would be against MFP rules.

Failing to keep the weight off is more a product of people not learning proper weight management once the crash diet is over, rather than anything inherent about crash dieting itself.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Never have and I've done a bunch. However as a previous poster pointed out the quick bounce back isn't something inherent in the crash diet. It's because you haven't really changed your eating in a sustainable way. So you go back to the old way of eating and no surprise you go back to the old weight.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Nope. Usually only put on weight with a crash diet.
  • jarrodleeray
    jarrodleeray Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey Hayley, the crash diet will work for a while but when you start eating normally again it will reverse and you,ll put it back on again, calorie control is the only way mixed with exercise :)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Mine wasn't a specific diet but I lost about 15 pounds creating a high deficit and have kept it off. Putting myself on such a low amount of calories actually forced me to value every calorie, so now I make good choices in food without really thinking about it.

When I was on very low calories I wouldn't even think about eating chips, sweets etc because I knew I needed something that would keep me nourished for a while.
  • scarlettgeorgia4
    scarlettgeorgia4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've done some many 'crash diets', EVERY time i've lost like a stone+ been so starving for something yummy and ate it which triggers a 'i've failed may as well make the most of it for a few days'.. I've always ended up gaining it ALL back, and more.
    This time I've done it healthy like everyone says, and you know what. yesterday I binged on mac and cheese, chocolate, loads of 'BAD' things and woke up lighter because my metabolism is not screwed. Do it healthy, if you want to see permanent results.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I did a cheerio and salad thing for a couple weeks. I felt like crap, lost 10him lbs and then gained it back the first time I looked at a cheeseburger.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50# on a starvation diet (due to some *major* stress). I kept the weight off for almost 3 years, then regained about 20# during another really stressful 12-18 months. I agree with the poster above who said that a major part of it is people not knowing what to do once they're done losing weight, or just not doing it. Also, it does sort of play havoc with your metabolism, so you have to be *really* careful coming off "diets" like that.