How to get rid of the dreaded lower belly "pooch" - ladies??

Options

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Genetics.

Also, if you don't get rid of the fat there, youll never be able to see the benefits of doing crunches etc. Reduce your body fat and your tummy should get flatter just like everywhere else.

It's a slow process. Frankly, if I get to my goal weight and measurements and still have a little pouch, I'm fine with that.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I find pilates worked best for that area, it really strengthens the core muscle. Of course, I do this while I do cardio and strength training during the week as well.

Most of my weight gain was in my middle section after having two kids. My body type was never curvy so it really shows with all that extra lbs. When I stared adding pilates to my workout once a week I notice a difference
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    For the past three months, I have been doing pilates for abs, and I have seen an amazing difference in my belly. It is Lara Hudson's 10 Minute Solution DVD. I do it twice on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Also do 100 crunches after the DVD. Used to just do it once, but stopped being sore the next day, so I had to increase! It is not flat yet, but it looks better every day!

I have been averaging about 1400 calories a day. I do not eat back my exercise calories. Also do at least 30 mins of cardio daily and on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays use free weights for my arms.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Gah, tell me about it. I'm happy with everywhere else on my body, but my pooch is just a pain in my...front.

I know that some of it is loose skin, which I've accepted. But there's still some fat there, and it's shrinking ooohh-soooo-sloooowly. Slower than anywhere else on my body.

I do 7 hours of zumba a week, 2 hours of zumbatone, 1 kettlebells class and the odd weights session. I think I'm going to have to up the lifting to get rid of the last bit.

Still, bump, as tips are always welcome :)
  • LittleLolita
    Options
    bump - I need this info too!
  • MaggieWatson
    Options
    bump :)
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump good question?
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I just think its worth throwing out there that if it is loose skin and not just fat, it may not ever go away completely. Some people have skin that springs back into place. slowly over time, and for some, it just wont go away altogether, but will improve over time. If there is some fat there as well, then all of the above suggestions are going to help!
    I am by no means giving up on my pooch, but i know there is a good deal of skin and i will likely never have (without a tummy tuck) the flat belly i'd love to have.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I had always had one.. even as a child.. and then I began to run. My belly flattened out, I just couldn't believe it. I never thought I would be able to have a flat stomach. It wasn't just three days a week though, I was training for a half marathon. I'd spend five or six days a week running.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    There is no quick way to do it, you just have to keep on going until your bodyfat is low enough.
    It will probably be the last place you will lose it too,and i talk form experience not just what i have read.
    You will get there just be patient :smile:
  • pdkc1
    pdkc1 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but aside from Heavy Lifting, you could incorporate some Jillian Michaels DvD's...like 30 Day Shred/Ripped in 30/Shed it With Weights/No More Trouble Zones/Yoga etc. It worked for me and alot of others I know...but it is a combination with Weights/Cardio/Dvd and a bit of a larger deficit.

Good luck.
  • skeeter230
    skeeter230 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    bump!
  • KatrineJohansen
    KatrineJohansen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lowering body fat percentage is the only thing that works.
    Ways of doing this varies. Generally a combination of cardio+heavy lifting and clean eating at a moderate deficit (=nothing your grandmother wouldn't eat, as someone said before me) with lots of protein is the way I was taught to do that.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit (250-400), heavy lifting, and time.

Going to add posture to that as well. Tucking your pelvis under and making sure your spine is correctly aligned can instantly improve the appearance of your belly. Strengthening the core (through heavy lifting or whatever your preferred means) helps with posture.
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    Different sorts of abs targeted exercises might help. Lots of people just do crunches, which don't target all the muscles. If you do things like reverse crunches (lift your legs in the air and lift your butt up), or those ones where you put your elbow towards the opposite knee and sideways bends to catch your obliques. I hope all that made sense. A good range of moves alongside whatever you already for exercise and continuing to eat well will help shift it!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Incorporate Tae Bo Insane Abs into your routine. You will see a difference.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I found post pregnancy DVD's useful as they tend to target that specific area. All the females on my dad's side are overweight, but my own mum was very slim.

Sadly she died young so I've no idea whether she would have naturally got bigger with age and I have an under active thyroid (from birth) which may affect my outcome regardless of genetics.

I've reached my initial goal and just trying to lose another four to finish Wii Fit (says I should be 9st 3). my face, neck arms and legs are slim but my biggest area is still around abdomen although it has shrunk loads from 48" to 34 " around the widest part. my top half also shrunk which I never measured to start with as I was only interested in losing my tummy but I do know my boobs were a 40 and are now a 34 also and waist 30" (from 38 ").

Dropping wheat helped too for me. Mines is much flatter though and clothes wise gone from 20-14... not quite in 12's cos of having to get trousers over tummy and most fasten there now instead of your actual waist higher up! so have to go up a size as I'm only 5ft 3 and half too I find petites tend to be a smaller fit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit (250-400), heavy lifting, and time.

Exactly this.

All those workouts that target abs and what not do jack **** unless the fat is gone.

I have a pretty flat stomach, and all I do is a bit of cardio(1-2 days a week) lifting(2-3 days a week) and eat at a deficit. I def. don't eat clean.. there are too many good foods to be enjoyed!