Any fitness ideas for sprained ankles?

Options
Hi All,

So an old injury has reared its ugly head and the muscle on the side of my ankle/foot has given way again. So annoyed as only just started RI30 this week, but now due to all the jumping and standing on one foot I'm going to have to take a break from it.

Tried a legs bums and tums class last night with my ankle strapped and doing the lower intensity versions, but I just felt so deflated with everyone else bouncing around and me unable too...

Did some exercises by myself this morning that excluded my ankle - abs work, squats and plies with weights, and did some punches for cardio (taken from 30DS)

However, does anyone have any other good cardio or exercises that get your heart racing and sweat you out that doesn't include standing on one foot or putting lots of pressures on my ankle? (For example I tried lunges and the ankle was NOT happy).

Don't want to lose my fitness so all help is much appreciated!!

Replies

• FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cycling?

I am in a similar situation having re-injured my ankle 2 months ago. For a while, even cycling hurt it, but I can cycle now - just a shame I am not getting much opportunity.

I am looking for more ideas too. Currently thinking of getting a boxing bag to put in the garage (well I have been thinking about it for quite a while).
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sit ups
    Press up
    Dips
    Bridge/core work

Try doing those exerises in Tabhata mood. That should get the heart pumping(not ideal)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Can you swim? Skip maybe?
  • mhairi_e_mckenzie
    Options
    Thanks! It doesn't like skipping, but will definitely try some of the other exercises, and totally forgot about swimming so will give that a go... Will also dig the bike out of the shed and go for a cycle to the pool!

Thanks Both :)