Zoloft and worried about weight gain

Options
I have myself a pretty serious case of depression and social anxiety. I went to the doctor about it and was given Zoloft to take.

I've lost about 40 pounds over the last 9 months. I've read that Zoloft can cause weight gain, and I'm terrified of that. Having the extra weight makes me feel depressed. Since losing, I have come out of my shell a little bit and feel a "tiny" bit happier, but my depression and anxiety are still pretty severe. I'm very scared about what the possible weight gain from Zoloft is going to do to me. I know it doesn't affect everyone with weight gain though. I'm just scared. It's taken a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, plus a lot of ups and downs to lose this weight, and I still have 50 more pounds to go.

Any advice?

Replies

• nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    As far as Antidepressants go, zoloft is fairly weight neutral. And I would not be suprised if the people on it that found they gained weight actually gained weight because they just werent eating when they were depressed, felt better on zoloft, and got their appetite back.
    That said, you really wont know till you go on it, but I would still give it a go. You can always stop taking it if you need to.
    Also, if you do decide to try it, I really urge you to try it properly, meaning you have to take it for at LEAST two months to really know if it will help. (some people find it helps right away! Just you really have to try it for long enough before giving up on it)

How do I know? Ive been on em all! Zoloft did nothing to my appetite or weight. Remeron (avanza) on the other hand... I would be up at 3 in the morning practically eating sugar out of the sugarbowl....

edit:
    oh, and if an antidepressant does effect your weight, it doesn't happen magically. So it isn't like you will suddenly start piling back on the pounds. Imagine as a worst case scenario it DID effect your weight, and you keep up with the diet and cardio you have been doing, the worst you would see is a sudden plateau or MAYBE just a change in water retention. The scales aren't going to suddenly start heading back the other way as soon as you take a dose.
  • mheightchew
    mheightchew Posts: 334
    Options
    Been there. For me, I was so depressed I couldn't get motivate d to wake up let alone work out or care about my health. You might find that it helps you regain that positive energy you need to go further! Its such a personal decision. Make sure you discuss your concerns with your doc. You can do this!
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Thank you!