Strength Training

Options
Hi all,

I've just started strength training to go alongside my calorie counting and cardio. After reading a few articles and threads I wish I'd done it sooner!

I've had a small amount of experience with weights in the past through friends, but not much. I've been to the gym three times this week and used the weight machines, doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps on each machine, using around a 20kg weight. I've also used dumbells for arm curls. I'm not confident enough to use free weights yet and I enjoy knowing my form is good using the weight machines.

Any recommendations/suggestions for what I'm doing? Am I doing the correct amount of sets/reps? The weight "feels" fine for now. I'm alternating cardio/weight days but do a small amount of cardio after weights as I read it's the best time for fat burning. I also spend around an hour using weights.

Any help would be really appreciated :)

Replies

• Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My advice is to lift as heavy as you can while still being able to use proper form, and keep putting the weights up as you get stronger.
    Have a protein shake after your workout, and rest the muscle groups you work for 48 hours so they can repair.

Also, if you're trying to lose weight, don't get discouraged if your scale stalls or even goes backwards for a while. Taking measurements is a better way to gauge your progress, especially when you're strength training.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html

Check out this 4 part series, on beginning weight training by Lyle MacDonald, one of the forerunners of nutrition and training. His Philosophies have changed my life. highly reccommend reading his stuff, above anyone else. Honest and readable approach.

I have started training again myself, and i am going back to the basics!

Good Luck, and hope this helps
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    bump
  • truss25
    truss25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crazyartgrrl
    Crazyartgrrl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I see a trainer twice a week, who works with me doing some pretty intense weight work (I told him I don't have much time to work out, so he's tried to make it as intense as possible)
    We alternate upper and lower body on different days. On my upper body days we target shoulders, triceps, biceps, lats, and chest. I do a lot of free weight work but being that you said you're not confident on them yet, you can use pull down machines, bicep/tricep machines, the "dip" machine. I LOVE low rows too. The universal weight machine with all the cables and pullies, the one that has room for like 8 people at a time on it, that's an AWESOME machine. Just look at the pictures and follow the exercises.

Lower body includes a lot of squats and lunges, some calf raises, leg presses. Hamstring curls suck and I hate them and they are probably my "nemesis" so I'm guessing those are the ones not to forget.

As far as sets/reps, we do a "superset". He has me start out with a weight that is reasonable but I'm not blowing out immediately, so we do 10 of something. We move on without stopping to 12 of them, then 15 of them. By the 15th rep I want to die and my muscles are at total fatigue. If you're breaking down at the 1st or 2nd set, and can't make it to the 3rd, you need to drop your weight next time. If you're not at near fatigue by the 3rd set, up your weight a little next time.

Oh and as far as cardio, I do that every weight day, for at least 30 minutes (I have a toddler, and she can handle about an hour in the kids club. I get there early for my appt. and work out on the cardio deck until it's time to get beat up by the trainer for 1/2 an hour. ) It works for me.

Just remember to push yourself. The body won't change if it's not challenged! Good luck!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I think if you can do 12 reps, you might want to go a little heavier on the weights. Right now, I'm doing 3 sets of 10 reps for everything but in a couple of weeks I'm going to start doing 4 sets of 8 reps of everything. Do you have a plan set out? If not, here are some resources I've found helpful:

New Rules of Lifting
    Stronglifts 5 x 5
    Starting Strength
    Bodybuilding.com

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    be careful with machines, the form they make you do is not always right as everyone is a different size, and makes you lift on their plane, which is usually not good form.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    First, swap to free weights. No need for you to use machines. Watch YouTube videos of correct form and start asap. Big compound exercises: Bench Press, Squats, Deadlift, Military Press etc.

If you're 'comfortable' with the weight, add more weight, otherwise you won't progress.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    First, swap to free weights. No need for you to use machines. Watch YouTube videos of correct form and start asap. Big compound exercises: Bench Press, Squats, Deadlift, Military Press etc.

If you're 'comfortable' with the weight, add more weight, otherwise you won't progress.

Avoid the machines and start on Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

Both start you pretty low with weight to tech you form then it ramps up.

SL5x5 will have you squatting 225 in appx 12 weeks if you follow the program to the letter.
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

SL5x5 will have you squatting 225 in appx 12 weeks if you follow the program to the letter.

Agreed. Stronglifts or Tentigers.
  • DRees10
    DRees10 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's advice above.

Sorry guys - like I said, I'm not very confident with the free weights or the terminology used above. I've read a few articles with the machines vs. free weights argument and it seems pretty balanced. I just want to train up so I'm fitter and lose weight, the machines are "comfortable" for me in that sense and I know that I'll never be training with free weights, apart from dumbbells, unless I make a lot of progress and that could be something I may revisit with new goals in a new chapter in my life. I've researched the technique needed for the free weights and if I'm honest it's not something I want to try until later on.

I've read that 6-8 reps of higher weights is better than 10-12 reps of lower ones so I think I'll start doing that from now on.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You'll never be truly strong without the big, compound lifts. You can certainly improve your situation on machines, though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Like I said above, machines make you conform to them, which means your form may not be correct as the machine does not let you use proper form, and this can lead to injury.

Check out Stating Strength, it is meant for beginners and uses free weights. Even when starting out free weights should be the way to go (dumbbells and barbells)
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

Sorry guys - like I said, I'm not very confident with the free weights or the terminology used above. I've read a few articles with the machines vs. free weights argument and it seems pretty balanced. I just want to train up so I'm fitter and lose weight, the machines are "comfortable" for me in that sense and I know that I'll never be training with free weights, apart from dumbbells, unless I make a lot of progress and that could be something I may revisit with new goals in a new chapter in my life. I've researched the technique needed for the free weights and if I'm honest it's not something I want to try until later on.

I've read that 6-8 reps of higher weights is better than 10-12 reps of lower ones so I think I'll start doing that from now on.

Awesome work asking for advice then completely ignoring it.
  • DRees10
    Options

Not ignoring it. Think it's more suited to me later down the line - you seemed very definitive in your answer re: weight machines but I've read articles arguing that they more than have their place in strength training.
  • DRees10
    Options
    Like I said above, machines make you conform to them, which means your form may not be correct as the machine does not let you use proper form, and this can lead to injury.

Check out Stating Strength, it is meant for beginners and uses free weights. Even when starting out free weights should be the way to go (dumbbells and barbells)

Cheers will look at Stating Strength.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Hell yes for Mark Rippetoe programs. I'm currently doing Practical Programming (subbing pulldowns for chins/pull-ups until I can work up to them).
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Not ignoring it. Think it's more suited to me later down the line - you seemed very definitive in your answer re: weight machines but I've read articles arguing that they more than have their place in strength training.

Machines will only get you so far. The most muscular adaption happens when the most muscular system is stressed together. In other words, bigger movements (compound lifts) that include the most muscle groups will yield the most results. A plan with a basis of squats, deadlifts, bench pressing, overhead pressing, etc. while progressively increasing the resistance (read: weight) are what will give the most adaptation.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've been right where you are. There's a lot of great advice here. Only way to get comfortable with free weights is to start using them. I still work to try to get my form right.

Compound lifts is where it's at. Squats, bench press, dead lift, rows... any good program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts is going to focus on these.

You'll be amazed how good you feel lifting a heavy bar. Start light, get your form right and good luck to you!