Chicken Noodle Soup

Options
DaniNei
DaniNei Posts: 132 Member
Does anybody have any chicken noodle soup recipes?

The whole family has or is coming down with a head cold and I figured this would be perfect for everybody, I just don't have a recipe for it. I don't really want to buy the canned because it is way to salty for me.

TIA

Replies

• bwilton77
    bwilton77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    here is a recipe I learned from my mom

1 lb Chicken Breast
    1 Carton College Inn reduced sodium 99%fat free chicken broth
    2 cups baby carrots
    2 cups celery
    1 cup white onion
    1 cup noodles or rice (your choice)

Place chicken breast in a large pot and fill with water boil until breast pull apart with fork.
    While chicken is cooking chop onion,celery, and carrots into bite size pieces.
    Once chicken is done pull it out of the pot and dice into bite size pieces or shred depending on how you like it.
    Place diced veggies in water from chicken and return chicken to pot.
    Pour chicken broth into mixture until pot is full. Continue boiling on a medium heat until veggies get tender. Place rice or noodles into pot and continue to cook on a low heat until pasta is cooked all the way through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Hope everyone feels better soon. Enjoy.
  • killianrjkl
    Options
    That's the recipe we use, too but don't forget the parsley!!
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I use pretty much the same recipe although I have made some alterations

I use dark meat chicken because it is less 'tough' in the soup. I sometimes use celery seed in place of celery - some people like the flavor but don't like the celery. I like wavy noodles (although I have to use GFree noodles since we have celiac disease).

Cook it for a good long time and it freezes well, too! Let it completely cool and then put it in ziploc bags labeled with the date and freeze. It thaws pretty quickly and is just as good the 2nd time!

Hope y'all feel better!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Here is our family's favorite...

1 whole chicken
    1 T. olive oil
    1 large onion
    4 stalks celery
    4 carrots
    1/2 t. dried basil
    1/2 t. oregano
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 cartons (32oz) of reduced sodium chicken or veggie broth
    1 bag whole wheat noodles

In a large pot cook onion, celery, carrots & olive oil until soft. Add seasonings, cooked chicken and broth and cook for 1 hour or all day on a slow simmer. Add noodles to soup just 10 minutes before you are ready to serve. This soup is great for leftover chicken or turkey and it just gets better the longer it sits in the refrig.

I hope your family feels better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • LaurieB5578
    Options
    These all sound very good...Do you think I could leave it in the crock pot all day and just add the noodles during the last half hour or so?