Need running tips

Options
Got a 5k run for Cancer Research on July 22nd. Starting running again and feel really tired after about 1 mile.... any tips or training advice? Thanks x

Replies

• MSgtD911
    MSgtD911 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. It will get better. Make sure you listen to your body and if you're feeling a bit tired, stop and walk for a minute. Keep at it and it will get easier. Good luck with your race.
  • healthygirl1967
    Options
    As they say don't quit. I am a new runner and have been doing to couch to 5km program (which I can now do comfortable :)). Listen to your body, walk some run some...

Starting to train for a 10 km run in Melbourne on 17 July.

Good luck for your run!
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Don't quit. It will get better. Make sure you listen to your body and if you're feeling a bit tired, stop and walk for a minute. Keep at it and it will get easier. Good luck with your race.

If we quit when we felt tired, there wouldn't be 5km or 10km distance runs, let alone marathons or ultras.
    I would modify the above: Unless you have a medical condition or injury, when you feel a bit tired, push a little harder. When you feel VERY tired, take a short walk break. Don't stop because it's really hard to get motivated to start again....
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Start with interval running. Run 1 minute/ Walk 1 minute, then 2/1 and 3/1. You will find that you will be able to run 5K (3.1 miles) easily. Good luck!
  • bunnygirl1978
    bunnygirl1978 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Mke sure you have fuelled your body 2 hours before with food that will substain your energy.
    Play some motivating music
    Set your self a route, with recovery points so that you can stop, compose yourself for a minute or 2 and then onto the next recovery point.
    Make sure your eat enough protien after to recover your muscles
    Allow at least every other day to every 3rd day for a run, to start with your body will need time out until you get used to it.
    After a month you'll be able to do 3miles.
    I know this works as I have just managed it myself over the last month and running also for the race for life
    good luck
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    C25K. It's an amazing program! If you're able to run a mile you may be able to start further on in the program. Take a look.
  • beccastarr
    beccastarr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Interval training is great. Also, increase your mileage by 10% per week and you will find that it gets surprisingly easier as the weeks go on. Make sure your diet is healthy, include carbs and on the days where you don't feel like running, cycling or crosstraining will buck your fitness levels up. Even swimming. Mix it up.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Run slower? I usually hate, hate, hate the first 10 minutes of a run, but once I get past that I'm fine. Intervals (running/walking) can help too.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Take it slow. Just focus on running a little further each run. If you push too hard you risk injury so listen to your body. If it hurts in a way that feels like injury, stop. Good luck!
  • morganjackson
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses and support!!! I will keep you posted. Feel free to add, I am 22 years old from Leeds, UK. x
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Hi,

I'm in the same position, I just managed to run 1.4 miles last night, each time I go out I just try to go a bit further and then when I'm running and want to stop, I ask myself why, my legs hurting? Stitch? Breathing? If all of these are fine, chances are I'm just a bit tired so I push a bit harder and think about stopping as an easier option and to test myself. After a bit of pushing I do give in for a walk but I have found that I always have a bit more to offer!

Also I try to have a banana about an hour before my run and that has helped my energy levels.

I'm also running the race for life in June, best of luck!