Advice on protien powders

Options
Hey just wondering if anyone out there has ever tried my protein products? Especially the whey protein isolate? I'm a 27 year old female that is looking to building lean muscle and reduce body fat. I am considering trying it out but wanted to get some feedback on it.

I'm currently using USN products and wanting to try something different.

Much appreciated.

Replies

• SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Costco's 100% Whey Protein (Cytosport I think). Tastes really good.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Any of the bigger brands will be fine and contain the protein they claim. I use Gaspari Nutrition products as I'm one of their athletes and can tell you its very tasty and will do the job.

Ultimately, whey is whey and will pretty much do the same job.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I've tried several, currently I'm using GNC Amp Wheybolic 60 - good stuff in terms of nutrient stats and taste. Choc, Vanilla and Banana Cream are the flavors I've tried and will stay with. I mix with skim, green tea, fruits, nut butters .....
  • DyanCB
    DyanCB Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I finally came to the realization that i needed to start using protein powder to get the level of protein I need. I bought Whole Foods 365 Vanilla Whey Protein powder. It dissolves very well - mouth feel is important to me. And the flavor is good. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am currently using Optimum Nutrition Chocolate Mint Whey Protein Powder.

It is awesome tasting, kind of like a thin mint girl scout cookie when I mix it with 8 oz of milk. I also mix it into my morning iced coffee. It blends really well, even just using a spoon and no shaker bottle.
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein powder personally. I use the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor (: I think it tastes fine. I usually mix it into a cup of skim milk or throw it in the blender along with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a banana.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am on the GNC stuff in the black container it tastes good. Myoplex tastes awful and has the consitensy or purreed cow piles going down. Avoid using at all costs. I used lean mass builder for a bit. Not so tasty but put on muscle quick. The lean mass builder is anabolic so I stopped using it when I read it in some fitness magazine. I was starting to look manly and i wasn't even lifting weights. Just using my body weight (190lbs at the time) and martial arts training every day. There is one called ISO femme formulated for women. I never tried it but one of my friends did and she likes it.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a lot of cardio - consider supplementing your amino acids with products like Master Amino Pattern (MAP) available at Amazon.com or Hammer Endurance Amino (Hammernutrition.com). Hammer also have a Whey protein.

Also make sure there are as little filler stuff as possible in your commercial products. I recently started using caprotein (goats milk protein)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a lot of cardio - consider supplementing your amino acids with products like Master Amino Pattern (MAP) available at Amazon.com or Hammer Endurance Amino (Hammernutrition.com). Hammer also have a Whey protein.

Why? The OP isn't really isn't at a level that needs additional amino's nor BCAA's.
  • jweymann
    jweymann Posts: 5
    Options
    from what ive learned i know that you want a powder that is low in calories but high in protein, however if youre trying to not bulk up you have to be conservative with how much you drink.
    i think a good amout is less than 300 calories and about 20 g or protein. ive heard that a grown mans body cant digest more than 28 g of protein in one serving.
    i drink it in the moring with milk and it keeps me full until lunch for the most part.
    good luck!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein powder personally. I use the Extreme Milk Chocolate flavor (: I think it tastes fine. I usually mix it into a cup of skim milk or throw it in the blender along with a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a banana.

^^ this is good stuff its what I use
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are unfortunately semi-expensive and I'd advise buying the smallest containers you can to test out the flavors and the ability to dissolve in water. As other posters said Optimum Nutrition tastes good and dissolves well. It also works really well in "recipes".
  • HerHusbandTheirDaddy
    Options
    Promasil by RIVALUS is my favorite...chocolate, of course. 20g protein per serving with only 90 calories and ZERO sugar. It is really good and sold at GNC or online.

http://www.rivalus.net/products/promasil/
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    Hey just wondering if anyone out there has ever tried my protein products? Especially the whey protein isolate? I'm a 27 year old female that is looking to building lean muscle and reduce body fat. I am considering trying it out but wanted to get some feedback on it.

Much appreciated.

I've tried a good few from My Protein, the isolate is minging in comparison to their True Whey range which is very milkshake like in taste. It's a few cals more, slightly less protein but at least you'll drink it! I judge flavour using water, if you're going to use milk, the isolate tastes bearable..... They also do 25g sample packs for a quid each, give those a go? :-)
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    I am currently using Shakeology. It has certainly made a difference in my energy level - definitely fuel for my workouts!
  • mollyr02
    mollyr02 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use Bluebonnet Whey Protein - I LOVE that it only has 4 ingredients. No artificial sweeteners, just stevia. It's DELICIOUS (at least the chocolate is!) and it has 26g of protein per scoop and only 116 calories. Highly recommend. I got mine on Amazon, cheapest price I found...
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    I can't stand the tastes of shakes anyway but i kinda just grin and bare it. So the isolate is really that bad? eiw.. .im looking at samples now i will order a few and give it ago. Thanks.
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options

Much appreciated.

I've tried a good few from My Protein, the isolate is minging in comparison to their True Whey range which is very milkshake like in taste. It's a few cals more, slightly less protein but at least you'll drink it! I judge flavour using water, if you're going to use milk, the isolate tastes bearable..... They also do 25g sample packs for a quid each, give those a go? :-)

I can't stand the tastes of shakes anyway but i kinda just grin and bare it. So the isolate is really that bad? eiw.. .im looking at samples now i will order a few and give it ago. Thanks.
  • musicianbob
    Options
    Hello,

I'm really new here, but I'd recommend checking this out as well; Caesin protein powder:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

A quick quote from the site:

"Sometimes slower is better - especially when it comes to the rate of protein digestion. While rapid protein absorption is desirable immediately before or after exercise, delayed release is probably more beneficial throughout the remainder of the day.

Casein proteins are pH sensitive and gel in the acidic environment of the stomach. As a result, it can take more than twice as long for caseins to be broken-down into their amino acid subcomponents than whey and other proteins. Because of their unique time-released qualities, caseins are aptly described as anti-catabolic or muscle-protecting proteins.*

It is meant for the times you don't eat and should be fueling your body (sleeping, etc). Note that this is NOT anything like an energy drink. It does help though if you are trying to get full so you don't eat as much. Please read up on it if you decide to try it.

Have a good day. Hope it's useful. :smile: Bob
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    Hello,

I'm really new here, but I'd recommend checking this out as well; Caesin protein powder:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/cas.html

A quick quote from the site:

"Sometimes slower is better - especially when it comes to the rate of protein digestion. While rapid protein absorption is desirable immediately before or after exercise, delayed release is probably more beneficial throughout the remainder of the day.

Casein proteins are pH sensitive and gel in the acidic environment of the stomach. As a result, it can take more than twice as long for caseins to be broken-down into their amino acid subcomponents than whey and other proteins. Because of their unique time-released qualities, caseins are aptly described as anti-catabolic or muscle-protecting proteins.*

It is meant for the times you don't eat and should be fueling your body (sleeping, etc). Note that this is NOT anything like an energy drink. It does help though if you are trying to get full so you don't eat as much. Please read up on it if you decide to try it.

Have a good day. Hope it's useful. :smile: Bob

Thanks i will have a read.