HRM-what kind do you like?

I really want to get the Garmin 910xt with hrm, only because I hope to be hiking and biking a lot this summer and it comes with a gps/hrm/speed reader.

I was wondering what kinds of HRM you all use and why you love them over others!

Also.. it says to use it outside, does yours say that or can you use them indoors? Or do the ones for outdoors work indoors as well? I'd like one for when I'm at the gym running/weight training/on elliptical, but that one says its only for biking/running/swimming.

Just wanna make sure I pick a good one :) Thanks!

Replies

• jbad
    jbad Posts: 5
    I have the Garmin 610. I have a power tap for my bike (cycle-ops) that comes with a HR monitor. I use that strap with the Garmin (they are compatible). I think the main difference between the 610 and 910 is that the 610 doesn't have the swimming metrics.

I use mine for everything (treadmill running, street running, indoor/outdoor cycling, strength training, etc). You can use it inside as a HR monitor, but it won't record your speed/distance like it does outside...unless you buy the extras. You can buy add on things for your running shoes, bike that will record those things.

Hope this helps!
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    I have the 910xt, but I use it for the swimming capabilities. If I wasn't interested in swimming I would go with the 610 or one of many other less expensive HRM's.

I find the Garmin HRM's are fairly easy to operate as well. When indoors you want to turn the GPS function off to save battery life. An additional benefit with Garmin is the Garmin Connect site. I enter my weekly / monthly goals and it helps keep me on track. There are other sites you can use such as trainingpeaks.com, but the Garmin Connect takes care of what I need without giving me information overload (I do use training peaks as well).

Hope this helps.
  • only2bfit
    only2bfit Posts: 44
    Thanks you both were a great help!! :)
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    I have a Polar FT4. It's great. I haven't tried any others so I can't compare, but the Polar I have is so simple and the watch part of it looks really good too. I can easily flick between different screens, and pull up previous data. It's not over the top or fancy, it just does exactly what you need it to do.
    My only issue is that it came with a M-XXL chest strap which was too big after a week of working out!