Why is MFP changing my calorie goal?

When I started here a month ago my goal was 1490, then for several weeks my goal was 1470. Now this morning I noticed its at 1450. Why does MFP keep changing it? I haven't moved any of the settings. Hoping someone can answer this for me.

Replies

• maybe it is adjusting for weight loss? I don't know if it does that...
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    You've lost weight. When I first started, my maintenance was like 2300... now its down to about 2k.

Its because you burn fewer calories at a smaller mass.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Your calories decrease as you lose weight.
  • mnharrington
    mnharrington Posts: 26 Member
    I believe it adjusts for weight loss and reduces your calorie goal when it registers a 10 pound loss since the last time your goals were updated.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Very very general rule: The smaller you are, the less you need. The smaller you get MFP will keep dropping your calories to try to keep the weightloss steady instead of plateauing. You tend to burn less calories for every pound of muscle or fat that you lose.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Yep. What they all said. Mine has dropped twice since I started.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Thanks but does this mean once i get to my goal will MFP have my goal at 1200? Not like im far from that now...

AND i've not lost 10 pounds yet, only 7 in the last month.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    It's your weight loss. If you use the custom setting for your macros this also gets changed back to mfp setting, when they change it (macros) that can be a tad annoying but it's easy enough to change it back again.
  • Kris1997
    I had no idea it changed everything. Thanks for the replies everybody. Just makes me wonder what my maintenance will be set at.
  • tammyc226
    tammyc226 Posts: 158 Member
    You can test what your maintenance will be by going into the settings and typing in your goal weight and that you don't want to lose weight , just make sure to change it back to current weight and weight loss goal afterwards
  • Kris1997
    You can test what your maintenance will be by going into the settings and typing in your goal weight and that you don't want to lose weight , just make sure to change it back to current weight and weight loss goal afterwards

I did that and now I really don't understand, cause to maintain MFP sets it at ...1720!
    How does that make sense?
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member

I did that and now I really don't understand, cause to maintain MFP sets it at ...1720!

becasue it's adding back in the 500 - 750 calories per day that it subtracted based on what you said you wanted to lose. If you originally said you wanted to lose a pound per week, MFP subtracted 500 calories from your daily calorie intake to ensure that you'd be a pound down at the end of the week. If you change your settings to equal your goal weight and your weight loss goal to 'nothing', those calories are added back in...so that you maintain your current weight.
  • vidoardes
    vidoardes Posts: 70 Member

The value it gives you to eat while loosing weight is a deficit, it's how you loose weight. You eat 500 cals less than your body needs to survive, so your body takes it from you fat stores. Once you want to maintain, you need to eat more so you body can survive off of what you are putting in it.
  • Kris1997
    Thanks everybody