Losing Weight AND toning at the same time?

Options
I do not have the resources at the moment to "tone" up while losing weight. I briskly walk right now and watch my calorie intake very carefully. I don't want to end up flabby? Like under my arms and belly. My legs and thighs seem to be more toned then the rest. Any suggestions or how long I should wait before I HAVE to start toning? I know toning burns calories too. But I'm not worried about burning calories, since I eat the amount allowed per day anyway.

Help!

Replies

• AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    What does it cost to tone your body?

Are you talking about light weight lifting? A gallon milk carton with however many pounds of sand or water you like in it will work. Two thick socks full of sand will also work for light weights.
    What is it you are hoping to do for toning?
  • stephalvarez5
    stephalvarez5 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do not have the resources at the moment to "tone" up while losing weight. I briskly walk right now and watch my calorie intake very carefully. I don't want to end up flabby? Like under my arms and belly. My legs and thighs seem to be more toned then the rest. Any suggestions or how long I should wait before I HAVE to start toning? I know toning burns calories too. But I'm not worried about burning calories, since I eat the amount allowed per day anyway.

Help!

push ups. sit ups. and leg lifts. kickboxing or shadowboxing (u don't need gear for this and you can find routines online). holding out your arms to form a "T" and moving them in circular motions for 3 mins each direction "forward and backward", at first it seems easy but just wait a few seconds into the exercise, it'll start to burn. "raise the roof" with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and your palms adjacent to the ceiling and push up for 3 minutes. adjust your time and repetitions accordingly. think of what the army, marines do, they use their own body weight instead of dumbbells, bench presses etc. also i've heard yoga tones lean muscles well.

i personally think you should start toning as soon as you decide to lose weight. I too don't want to lose a bunch of weight all to end up with sagging skin and pouches from which fat was once stored so i think it's important to pay just as close attention to toning as well as ur calorie intake. running is also great for toning and building muscle overall. i try not to lose too much weight all at once because your body needs time to keep up and tone accordingly.

hope this helps.

.s.
  • Lizzy9
    Lizzy9 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What does it cost to tone your body?

Are you talking about light weight lifting? A gallon milk carton with however many pounds of sand or water you like in it will work. Two thick socks full of sand will also work for light weights.
    What is it you are hoping to do for toning?

Alice, thank you so much for your reply. I guess I am always thinking "gym". I am actually trying to lose inches. I want to go back to my original size 8. I've always had a very skinny waistline, but now have a "flabby" one. My upper arms are also flabby. Gee, is there any thing we can do about the neck area? I don't have a double chin or anything like that, just need to tone it up...."an age thing". Thank you.
  • Lizzy9
    Options

Help!

push ups. sit ups. and leg lifts. kickboxing or shadowboxing (u don't need gear for this and you can find routines online). holding out your arms to form a "T" and moving them in circular motions for 3 mins each direction "forward and backward", at first it seems easy but just wait a few seconds into the exercise, it'll start to burn. "raise the roof" with your arms bent at a 90 degree angle and your palms adjacent to the ceiling and push up for 3 minutes. adjust your time and repetitions accordingly. think of what the army, marines do, they use their own body weight instead of dumbbells, bench presses etc. also i've heard yoga tones lean muscles well.

i personally think you should start toning as soon as you decide to lose weight. I too don't want to lose a bunch of weight all to end up with sagging skin and pouches from which fat was once stored so i think it's important to pay just as close attention to toning as well as ur calorie intake. running is also great for toning and building muscle overall. i try not to lose too much weight all at once because your body needs time to keep up and tone accordingly.

hope this helps.

.s.

.s.
    Thank you so much for replying. It meant a lot to me. This is where I don't feel so alone. Thank you for the home exercise treatments...I am walking very very briskly up and down hills. 30 minutes burns 260 calories :( but, it's a start. Thanks!
  • jennb5255
    jennb5255 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lizzy9,
    There was an exercise in a magazine that will help tone your arms and trust me it works!! I have only been doing it for a week, but after the first day I could feel it working. I still have not been able to get to the third set. After the first two sets my arms are burning so bad that I finish there. Like I said I am just starting this so I'm going to work my way to the third set. It's been a long time since I have really worked out so I want to take it slow.

To start stand with feet hip width apart and hands infront of your thighs. Bring your arms to shoulder level and then return them to starting position. 15 reps

Second set - Bring your arms to shoulder level and hold for 5 counts before returning to starting position. 15 reps

Third set - Bring arms to shoulder level and bounce within 3-5 inches 5 times before returning to starting position. 15 reps.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Lizzy9,
    There was an exercise in a magazine that will help tone your arms and trust me it works!! I have only been doing it for a week, but after the first day I could feel it working. I still have not been able to get to the third set. After the first two sets my arms are burning so bad that I finish there. Like I said I am just starting this so I'm going to work my way to the third set. It's been a long time since I have really worked out so I want to take it slow.

To start stand with feet hip width apart and hands infront of your thighs. Bring your arms to shoulder level and then return them to starting position. 15 reps

Second set - Bring your arms to shoulder level and hold for 5 counts before returning to starting position. 15 reps

Third set - Bring arms to shoulder level and bounce within 3-5 inches 5 times before returning to starting position. 15 reps.

Thank you so much Jenn, I will do this every day????
  • eulila
    eulila Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Push ups, crunches, wall sits, lunges, tricep dips, any type yoga move, etc.
  • Lizzy9
    Options
    Push ups, crunches, wall sits, lunges, tricep dips, any type yoga move, etc.

Thank you eulila!