basic calorie help needed.

Options
*think post alert*....

Do i have have to eat ALL of my calories?
I have been given 1100 cals, if i exercise and burn 500 then it bumps it up to 1600 do i still have to finish the day closest to the 0 cals left mark??

Im scared for putting myself into starvation mode. ANY help apreciated. x

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    *think post alert*....

Do i have have to eat ALL of my calories?
    I have been given 1100 cals, if i exercise and burn 500 then it bumps it up to 1600 do i still have to finish the day closest to the 0 cals left mark??

Im scared for putting myself into starvation mode. ANY help apreciated. x

You must have set 1100 yourself, as MFP does not suggest an allowance under 1200.

If you set it yourself you need to think about why you chose that number - you ideally want to create a moderate deficit from your TDEE.

If you are going to use MFP's own settings, It sets a calorie goal that alreday has a deficit built in, but it does not include exercise, so you will eat back the exercise calories to maintain the defict you chose.

Alternatively you can work out your own estimated TDEE (which includes exercise), deduct your deficit of 15-20%, and just eat the same calories every day.
  • debzza
    debzza Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Tbh it said to loose 2lb a week i need 1200 but i thought id loose slightly more is i went slightly under at 1100?!?!?!

ok so my TDEE said 2343....deduct 20% = 1875??? thats seems so high !!! :noway:

Done it on here and its changed to 1200, so i am going to stick to this amount now. so i have to eat back the calories i burn off??
  • wohwy
    wohwy Posts: 22
    Options
    Yes, you have to eat back those exercise calories and net at least 1200 calories/day.

Many advocate eating between BMR and TDEE for a healthier weight loss.

Here are some posts I found very helpful when I started out last month:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    It all depends really - although I am suprised that MFP would give you a caloric deficit below 1200.

Some people have success not eating back cals, some people have great success eating back cals. Personally, I eat back most of the cals I burned working out, & its worked for me (dropped my BF% by 4% doing it this way). Try both & see what works for you!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Tbh it said to loose 2lb a week i need 1200 but i thought id loose slightly more is i went slightly under at 1100?!?!?!

ok so my TDEE said 2343....deduct 20% = 1875??? thats seems so high !!! :noway:

Done it on here and its changed to 1200, so i am going to stick to this amount now. so i have to eat back the calories i burn off??

Yes - see this - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/206951-asked-my-trainer-re-eating-back-calories
  • anitadhey
    anitadhey Posts: 10
    Options
    I eat all of my exercise calories back every day. I'm set a 1200 and I lose weight every week.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Hmm... I was googling around and discovered something I didn't know. Approximate measures: 240ml is a cup (8 oz.) and so is 240g. So, is that commonly interchangeable in the UK? Grams and milliliters? It seems dry goods and liquids could be quite variable.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was at the suggested MFP 1,200 to loose a pound a week. It worked for a while. And I did eat back all or most of my exercise calories back. Then I hit a wall. Realized what my BMR was (1380). Took others advice and adjusted my Caloric intake to 1400. I burn 2,500 calories a day. In short, I eat 1,700-1,900 calories and I'm dropping more weight easily. Don't be afraid to increase your food intake. QUALITY versus QUANTITY!
  • debzza
    Options
    Thank you all so much i personally dont think im eating enough so i am goin to start a few more healthy snacks and bulking up my food with low cal extras like veg and salads. x
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keep in mind, a large deficit doesn't always equate to greater weight loss. I know the math suggest it is, but your body doesn't always follow simple math. Having a large deficit can lead to a plateau and an increased chance of losing lean muscle mass. The more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism and the harder it is to lose weight. Also, when you eat very low calories (especially below your BMR) you make it harder for your body to repair itself post workout. Additionally, you can slow your loss as your body will release cortisol in order to protect your body. Now if you properly eat (generally 20% below TDEE or 30% below if you are obese) and do weight training, you will see better long term results. Resistance training is key for cutting body fat. Also, don't think 1800 calories is high calories. I have worked with women at 125 lbs and I have them eating 2100+ calories to cut body fat.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I was googling around and discovered something I didn't know. Approximate measures: 240ml is a cup (8 oz.) and so is 240g. So, is that commonly interchangeable in the UK? Grams and milliliters? It seems dry goods and liquids could be quite variable.
    It depends on the density of the liquid. Anything with a density of 1, like water, will be equivalent weight and volume. As the density changes, the variance will grow, but pretty much water, milk, juice, will all be close enough that a slight variance wouldn't be noticed. Although, 8 oz is closer to 225 grams than it is to 240, so you can't really swap grams for milliliters.
  • debzza
    Options
    Keep in mind, a large deficit doesn't always equate to greater weight loss. I know the math suggest it is, but your body doesn't always follow simple math. Having a large deficit can lead to a plateau and an increased chance of losing lean muscle mass. The more muscle you lose, the slower your metabolism and the harder it is to lose weight. Also, when you eat very low calories (especially below your BMR) you make it harder for your body to repair itself post workout. Additionally, you can slow your loss as your body will release cortisol in order to protect your body. Now if you properly eat (generally 20% below TDEE or 30% below if you are obese) and do weight training, you will see better long term results. Resistance training is key for cutting body fat. Also, don't think 1800 calories is high calories. I have worked with women at 125 lbs and I have them eating 2100+ calories to cut body fat.

so i am obese so i should - 30% then?? which is 1640... mfp says 1200 so which one do i stick to? ( sorry about the quesrions but ive never really took weigh seriously befor)
  • debzza
    Options
    bump :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

so i am obese so i should - 30% then?? which is 1640... mfp says 1200 so which one do i stick to? ( sorry about the quesrions but ive never really took weigh seriously befor)

Where did you cut your 30% from. Do me a favor, post your BMR results from that website and I will show the calculations. Also what do you do for a living?