Parent advice needed: Moving with kids?!

Options
Doreen_Murray
Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
I'm getting ready to move out of state this summer and have a four year old boy. This will be our first move so I'm excited, but am unsure when and how to introduce this to my little guy! I want to try to make the transition as easy as possible for him so if there are any parents who may have moved I would appreciate your suggestions! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    At least you are doing it before he starts kindergarten. Moving during the K-12 years is very difficult on a child.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have moved cross country with my kids a few times. Just tell him now and keep talking about it, show him pictures, tell him you are gonna visit if there is family to be missed so he knows he will see them again. Kids are pretty resilient and these types of situations don't bother them as much as you would think
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    He has one more year of Pre-K since his birthday is in October, so I figured now is the time if we're going to do it! I think pictures are a great idea. He's very visual so that will definitely help. I spoke with his new school and they have a summer program so at least he'll meet some new kids before the school year starts. Thanks peeps!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Being Military I have moved more times then I'd like to remember. We have 6 kids so it is always, shall we say an adventure!?!

Try and keep a few of his fav things with you so you don't find yourself having to dig through boxes to find things that will make him feel comfortable. Also make sure you talk to him about the move.....I found even with my littlest kids, the more I talked to them about it, the better they felt. Look up fun facts on your new state and share them with him. Also pulling up pics of the new area. Good Luck!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Being Military I have moved more times then I'd like to remember. We have 6 kids so it is always, shall we say an adventure!?!

Thank you for your service Mabear! Fun facts are a good idea. Maybe I'll make a picture/fact book for him.