Does Zoloft Keep Pounds on you.

Options
5 years ago, after 20 years in the legal profession, my body fell apart from anxiety and panic attacks due to stress......no doubt working for those abusive attorneys nearly killed me.....I SHOULD SUE THEM B....S....TDS! Anyhoot, the doctor prescribed Zoloft for me and I've been on it since and will be for the rest of my life. Will this keep weight gain on me? I've been told that Zoloft plays a factor in weight gain. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS HOPE!!!!!

Replies

• Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    5 years ago, after 20 years in the legal profession, my body fell apart from anxiety and panic attacks due to stress......no doubt working for those abusive attorneys nearly killed me.....I SHOULD SUE THEM B....S....TDS! Anyhoot, the doctor prescribed Zoloft for me and I've been on it since and will be for the rest of my life. Will this keep weight gain on me? I've been told that Zoloft plays a factor in weight gain. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS HOPE!!!!!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Zoloft, like many other antidepressants, can cause both weight gain and weight loss. In many instances weight gain is due to the fact that you feel better…you feel more like eating. Likewise, if you overate while depressed, a happier, more stable mood causes you to eat less.

Just focus on being happy, eating healthy, and exercising and you should have no problem getting and keeping the weight off!!! Good luck!!!
  • paperstar
    paperstar Posts: 27
    Options
    I've been on Zoloft several different times. At one point I was thin and in shape while on it. Another time, I was heavier. I don't see Zoloft playing any role in it whatsoever, at least not for me. Hope this helps! :smooched:
  • thegirlwholived
    thegirlwholived Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been on Zoloft twice, and both times I have gained weight. I've been on it the past two years and have gained 20lbs! I watch what I eat and have been working out 3x/wk for most of that time. I do think the longer you're on it , the harder it is to lose weight. After I stopped taking it the first time around I quickly lost weight. I'm seriously considering quitting it now for that same reason.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with the girl that said if you're happier (not as anxious, etc) than you FEEL like eating and that is probably the role any anxiety drug plays in weight gain...
    I was on paxil and very in shape, thin, active, and never gained any weight or wanted to eat any more than usual...
    Then after I had my kids and gained weight, I was still on it and was heavier, but can I blame it on paxil? nope!
    I gained and lost at different times while on it...
    I think it was a combination of not getting enough exercise and eating the wrong foods for me personally...