CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Options
Okay I know it has only been 10 days but have been working out more, than in a long time, and making an effort to walk more, and log EVERYTHING I eat. I have had no weightloss. I really have changed A LOT of my eating habits. Can anyone look at my Logs and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I get that it wouldn't be a 5 lbs loss or anything but I thought at least a pound. I know I need to stop eating a snack at night but it's so hard. I am still nursing about 2-3 times a day, could that interfere? My goal is 1500 calories because I wanted to make sure for nursing (I am weaning) and because at 1200 I think it was really low to start. I have really been trying to eat healthy and and exercise. Maybe I'm being crazy?

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Well your diary isnt open so can't see what your eating.. but its been 10 days... give it time, it took you a long time to put on the weight it is going to be slower to get it to come off, workout programs take weeks and months to work and actually show progress not days.. our bodies are amazing machines but they can only change so fast. stick with it
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't think that the nursing is keeping you from losing the weight, I just think you are being hard on yourself. 10 days isn't really all that long of a time, and I am sure that the weight of your boobs has contributed to you not seeing much movement in the scale.

Focus on your NSV (non scale victories). Do your pants feel smaller? Does your stomach look a little flatter?

I am not a mom myself, so I can't speak from experience, I can only suggest the things that my best friend has been telling me and doing (her little guy is about 7 weeks old and she is already back to her pre-baby weight). She does P90X when he is napping and drinks lots of water and has cut back on the carbs.

I know it isn't easy and she really struggles but I try and motivate her and she tries to motivate me.
    So I am going to pay it forward and motivate you too! Don't give up, stick with it, and keep that baby nice and full. Focus on the NSV and not what the scale says.

I am sure there will be some people up here who can give you some more "scientific" suggestions after reviewing your diet, but I just say keep at it. I was feeling the way you felt before, but with sticking to it, I have lost 17lbs in a month (I started my lifestyle change before I joined MFP).

Good Luck!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary. You have to make it public. There is nothing wrong with a healthy snack at night, as long as you incorporate into your total calorie plan. I would suggest a higher protein snack, it will stay with you longer.

You will have to do your research, but there is not a huge calorie difference with nursing. So I think the 2-300 calorie should be healthy. Just make sure you get enough fluids in. Your GYN will be a better source for nursing calorie intake.

When you start a new exercise program, you will retain water as your muscles start to re adjust. Record your measurements as well as your weight. The scale is not always an indication of weight loss. You may start to lose inches, while the scale barely moves. Fat loss is the ultimate goal.
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    You have to give yourself time! I didn't lose any for about 3 weeks but I did lose inches. Have you measured? In my experience you lose inches before pounds. Good luck and DON'T GIVE UP!!!
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Changed my diary to be open. Sorry. Thanks for your input. I know I should give it time. Just too anxious maybe.
  • mbatey
    mbatey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking water? you should aim for at least 1 ltr a day, I looked up a diet example on Maximuscle web page and it suggested I drink 9 pints/4.5 litres per day!!! I think I would sail away myself at that amount but I have been told many times to drink plenty of water.
    Probably not your solution but would certainly help you at least!
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! My daughter is 6 months old and I feel I did gain all the weight at once! If I was back at my pre pregnancy weight I would be so Happy! I will start measuring inches tonight and tomorrow am. I forgot about that. I had taken a measurement before I started. My pants do not feel tighter, but maybe I am hard on myself. I'm not giving up I just have a problem with staying with one diet plan. I wanted to try a detox but until I am all the way done nursing, that is a bad idea.
    I drink A LOT of water. I drink tea and a protien smoothie in the am and then water the rest of the day. I always have water in my hand or at arms reach.
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    I am no expert at all but I suggest more protein, less fat & carbs; going by the MFP standard isn't good. You do need fat & carbs for milk production but lowering these a little and bringing up the protien won't hurt. APPLES!! I swear by apples. An apple is the best "on the walk" treat and I find that if I chow an apple before or after I eat a meal it seems it burns faster.

Navel Oranges are good for this too, but its not as easy to peel an orange when you're hiking a trail at 3.5 mph.

Good luck, don't give up hope, my first 3 weeks I lost nothing working out at the gym until I gave up processed foods and stuck strictly to chicken & veggies :o)
  • gracey2521
    Options
    I am no expert at all but I suggest more protein, less fat & carbs; going by the MFP standard isn't good. You do need fat & carbs for milk production but lowering these a little and bringing up the protien won't hurt. APPLES!! I swear by apples. An apple is the best "on the walk" treat and I find that if I chow an apple before or after I eat a meal it seems it burns faster.

Navel Oranges are good for this too, but its not as easy to peel an orange when you're hiking a trail at 3.5 mph.

Good luck, don't give up hope, my first 3 weeks I lost nothing working out at the gym until I gave up processed foods and stuck strictly to chicken & veggies :o)

I definitely agree with this. Processed foods can really weigh you down. Also, try adding more veggies! They fill you up and are healthier calories than some of the other things you are eating.
  • rosemarydav
    Options
    Try to space your meals and snacks, and as others have suggested, reduce your carbs a little and have a bit more protein. You do need a good healthy diet for breastfeeding, but make sure your carbs are good complex ones- Good Luck!
  • Briaboo4
    Briaboo4 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Do you measure yourself? I've only just lost my first pound after three weeks of exercise (two weeks of watching what I eat) but I could see changes in my measurements after the first week.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I held my weight until shortly after I was done nursing. Talk about holding water weight....
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I definitely agree with this. Processed foods can really weigh you down. Also, try adding more veggies! They fill you up and are healthier calories than some of the other things you are eating.

Agree with the above....there is a lot of "junk-type" food in your diary...and to me what seems like a lot of comfort foods....try and add in more lean meats, healthy fats like nuts, and up your veggies.....it is not easy by any stretch, I know, but it does work!!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    more protein, less carbs, more fruits and veggies, less sugar, and track your sodium you may not be noticing a loss because it is held up in water weight. That is only my opinion.

IMHO detox diets just make you loose water and nothing else. Change up your eating habits and your body will do it naturally for you. The first week is hard and then the healthy choices get easier and then finally you may not even notice you are making them.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe substitute some fruit for the candy/sweets? Apples, celery w/neufchatel cheese, etc . . . will fill you up . . . good luck
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the little one! How long ago did you have your baby? Some women's bodies hold onto fat while they are nursing- I guess it is nature's way to ensure that the baby gets everything it needs. That was the case for me. Be patient with this process (I know it is hard), eat healthy foods when you feel hungry, drink lots of water, try and take the baby for a walk everyday, and sleep whenever you get the chance! Once you start weaning the baby, the extra weight will gradually come off.
  • SarahClag
    SarahClag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Try to eat as many "whole" foods as possible. Things with only one ingredient. Carbs are good, but try for Oatmeal or brown rice. Also- Get some more veggies! A little less sugar, too.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    One thing I forgot...I was nursing every 2-3 hours through the night during the first 6 weeks or so and I would feel so hungry-starving really! I had to substitute my pb and j for an apple or a banana! Watch those nocturnal calories!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    more protein, less carbs, more fruits and veggies, less sugar, and track your sodium you may not be noticing a loss because it is held up in water weight. That is only my opinion.

IMHO detox diets just make you loose water and nothing else. Change up your eating habits and your body will do it naturally for you. The first week is hard and then the healthy choices get easier and then finally you may not even notice you are making them.

I am with you on this :)
    less sugar and simple carbs and also less fat needs to be in your diet.
  • littlekarma
    Options
    Up your protein to at least 1/3 of your calories for the day. And make sure to get at least 30g fiber every day, 1g of fiber removes 6 calories from your body by itself, with no help from you. Also, drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day. I know it sounds like a lot! If you eat several small meals instead of 4 big ones, it should level out your blood sugar and help with those cravings. Indgulge in a treat once or twice a week, but make it a controlled indulgence. Be honest with yourself about the food you put into yourself and hold yourself accountable. If I have an off day where I ate out and made a bad choice, the next day I try to think "cleanse" and drink tons of water and my herbalife shakes only. You will get the hang of weight loss if you keep with it. Good Luck!