Protein - Is there such thing as too much?

Options
For today, I have already passed my "Daily Goal" of 49 for protein (I am currently at 83). Is there such a thing as too much protein or should I try to stay close to the "Daily Goal" of 49. :huh:

Thanks!!!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    How Much Protein Do I Need?
    The amount of protein you require depends on your weight and your daily caloric intake. Most Americans consume more than enough protein in their daily diets. A few specific groups of people are at risk for being protein-deficient, including elderly women and people with illnesses or eating disorders. A protein deficiency is defined as eating 50% to 75% of the recommended amount of daily protein, Butterfield explains.

Ideally, you should consume 0.36 grams of protein for every pound of body weight, according to recommended daily allowances (RDA) set by the Food and Nutrition Board. So if you weigh 170 pounds, you need about 61 grams of protein each day.

Protein should also make up approximately 15% of your total daily caloric intake, also according to the RDA. In a diet of 1,800 calories a day, for example, about 270 of those calories should come from protein.
  • mollyr02
    mollyr02 Posts: 2
    Options
    It really depends on your specific caloric needs. I'm in the middle of the Insanity workout - which recommends that I get 40% of my calories from protein. You can adjust your MFP goals to whatever you need them to be...
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    No, its very very very hard to consume too much. Any more than is required will be converted to glucose and stored as adipose tissue (fat) or used as energy to move you around.

Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study