What are " stones"

Options

Replies

• SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    They're the maguffin in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's a bit like Americans using "cups" as a measurement in recipes. WTF is a cup? (I now know it's 8oz, or around 230ml but a 'cup' to me is something you drink from).
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    It just makes us Brits appear lighter. 14 stone sounds far better than 196lbs.

Haha! This! I much prefer to say my weight in stones

I'm the opposite! I prefer to say I'm 146.5lbs than 10 stone 6.5lbs as no one I knows uses just lbs as weight measurement and so they don't know how much I weigh! Ha.
  • sammyjbray
    sammyjbray Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Stones are always used here in the UK :)

But for some odd reason only when referring to a person's weight. When shopping or in the kitchen people in the UK use kilos (now some odd person will come and say they use pounds).

--

Or ounces in the kitchen :)

Mrs Beeton know best. ;)
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    It's a bit like Americans using "cups" as a measurement in recipes. WTF is a cup? (I now know it's 8oz, or around 230ml but a 'cup' to me is something you drink from).

Or something I would wear to protect the old "crown jewels" during a game of cricket ;-)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

That's because it is lighter, lol 14 stone is 140lb :)

Um, nope, 14 stone is 196lbs (14 x 14)

@lisaamartin1 - Ok topic changes over to beer,ale,lager now because you are drinking one....I want a pint. Why call it a pint?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Do you use feet in America, or are people measured in inches?
  • fteale
    Options
    And where do people stand on chains and furlongs?
  • fteale
    Options
    BTW I am English and use stone for weight, and lbs and kg (or more often oz and g) interchangeably in the kitchen. I also use both cm and inches, and km and miles. For some reason despite being taught both in the UK we don't get confused about it.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    And where do people stand on chains and furlongs?
    I don't know but I like whips and chains..does that count??? (joking)
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Ok why call a beer and pint, here a pint is 16oz? Which is 2 cups.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

That's because it is lighter, lol 14 stone is 140lb :)

never mind.....................
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't describe my height in inches, but that would be more descriptive than describing it in yards.

That's just another step up, doesn't invalidate the Feet and inches, Stones and pounds point. Anyway, a yard and a meter are practically the same length, and most of Europe would measure itself in Meters and centimeters, so nerr :tongue:
    So does 20+ stones equal a boulder? lol

No, it equals obesity
    ... and that means using Kgs in place of pounces, ounces, stones etc. But most (older) people still think in terms of pounds and stones

How many ounces are there in a pounce, and doesn't it depend on the size of your p*ssy ?

:happy:
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I learned about Stone by watching BBC America love Watching "You are What You Eat" Jillian cracks me up!!! She also has some great tips and tricks!!
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight......in the UK: 10 stone = 140 pounds = bar total for a crazy night at the pubs.....
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    OK, so this stupid American wants to make sure he understands.

In America we use pounds.
    In Britain they use 'stones'.
    And kg are used everywhere else?

Yup!

Well, to be more exact: stones are only used for human weight. Foods are in metric (although some people still think of food in pounds - you'll see it in butchers shops, alongside the metric.)

Newborn babies are "pounds" though. The doctor will record the weight officially in kg, but the parents will say "She weighed 8 pounds!"
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Stones, furlongs, chains: a lot of these units of measurement Americans hear in sports.

The weight of professional boxers is often given in stones before a match.
    Furlong is a measurement used in horse racing.
    And chains? Hmm. In America, chains represent 10 yards in American football :)
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I learned about Stone by watching BBC America love Watching "You are What You Eat" Jillian cracks me up!!! She also has some great tips and tricks!!

Jillian McKieth is INSANE ! x :explode: lol x
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Jillian McKieth is INSANE ! x :explode: lol x

^^ This, and she has an unhealthy obsession with other people's *kitten*. (And she used to claim a Mickey Mouse doctorate).
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Surely there are only 6 stones: Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ronnie, Bill and Brian :smokin: