How much is a cup?

Options
Wikipedia tells me many things. But for US (as we don't use 'cups' in England), it says 240ml. Is this right? Or how else do you measure a 'cup' ?

Replies

• Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep u got it. garvick.com gives measurements from English to metric conversions. Hope that helps :-)
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Thank you! I decided I should look today because I'm interested in trying new recipes and most things measure in 'cups'. This has just opened a whole new door for me.
  • redcut
    redcut Posts: 176
    Options
    a cup is 8 ounces also
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    some measuring jugs have cups on them as well
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    16 tablespoons, too.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    250ml = 1 cup
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    ~240mL (8 fl. oz) for liquids. But be careful if you are talking about food... density plays a huge role there, so you should be going by grams (usually in parentheses in the nutritional information) and use a food scale.

**EDIT - made note that it is 8 FL. oz. Please don't take "1 cup chicken breast" to be "8oz" or "225g" because it isn't...
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    250ml = 1 cup

yh that's what I use when measuring my water intake
  • hastenbeck
    Options
    Wikipedia tells me many things. But for US (as we don't use 'cups' in England), it says 240ml. Is this right? Or how else do you measure a 'cup' ?

you can buy "cup measures" from the bakeware section in the supermarket, i got mine from asda - hope this helps
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Thanks people! it's just so many food diary things are measured in 'cups'. This makes life much easier.
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I'm in the USA but I find that measuring in grams is MUCH easier for me and more accurate, too. It is just the baking where I resort to cups/teaspoons again.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm in the USA but I find that measuring in grams is MUCH easier for me and more accurate, too. It is just the baking where I resort to cups/teaspoons again.

But baking is where you should really be measuring by mass. Your 1 cup of flour might be my 1.25 cups and might be the recipe author's .75 cups. Most baking ingredients can compress a lot. But on the other hand it would be fairly silly to weigh 1/4t of salt.
  • sarah44254
    Options

But baking is where you should really be measuring by mass. Your 1 cup of flour might be my 1.25 cups and might be the recipe author's .75 cups. Most baking ingredients can compress a lot. But on the other hand it would be fairly silly to weigh 1/4t of salt.

yeah but my recipes don't state masses needed, they state cups :frown:
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    yeah but my recipes don't state masses needed, they state cups :frown:
    the recipes may be in cup/tbsp, but on the packaging of the product itself, it should say "serving size: "1/2 cup (82g) for instance... so you should still be able to use weight.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I'm British and now live in America - I love the cups/tspn/tbspn measurement - so easy. Don't think I could ever go back to the ml, g, kg etc :D
  • SheehyCFC
    Options
    I'm British and now live in America - I love the cups/tspn/tbspn measurement - so easy. Don't think I could ever go back to the ml, g, kg etc :D
    A fellow "Sheehy" ?!?!
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    A fellow "Sheehy" ?!?!

Indeed! I married a Sheehy. One of 12. :D
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So glad I coud help u :-)