17 day diet

Options
My mom and I have found this book called "The 17 day diet" by Dr. Mike Moreno and we just started it together. Were only on day 3 of cycle 1 and I like it so far but I was just wondering if I'm wasting my time. Have you or anyone you know tried it or hear about it? Feedback would be awesome!

Replies

• alainaharrington
    Options
    My co-worker has completed two cycles and LOVES it. She has lost over 35lbs. Good luck to you.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds on it .. it worked very well. I've stalled now though, but then I stuck mostly to the first and second cycle. It is healthy and easy to do in comparison to some diets I've tried.
  • swilson1226
    swilson1226 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just bought the book too. I am also interested in people's feeback. For those that have tried it; what works best? what are some potential pitfualls to be aware of?? I am on the 2 day of the first cycle and would love to hear some receipe ideas. Thanks!
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you can make a cheat sheet, put down all the rules and post it on your fridge - very helpful so you don't have to constantly go back and flip through the book. Mark off your 17 days in the calendar too.

In terms of food, make sure you eat lots of protein and have lots of water. Also, I found a bit of greek yogurt with some sugar free jam mixed in was really good to stop me craving anything after dinner in the evenings.

I would say the only pitfall that I'm experiencing is that the diet is probably about 1200-1500 calories a day in cycle 1. That is way below my BMR (which I'm only learning about now).. and doesn't allow even a smaller person with a only bit of weight to do much in terms of exercising.

I like the basics of this diet, but think that the second and third cycles are probably more overall healthy.
    For me now - I'm having to join the "eat more, weigh less" club to see if I can restart my weight loss as I've lost nothing in nearly 2 months. Now, in fact, if I cheat even a tiny bit, I gain weight - a sure sign that the diet wasn't enough calories for me long term.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you can make a cheat sheet, put down all the rules and post it on your fridge - very helpful so you don't have to constantly go back and flip through the book. Mark off your 17 days in the calendar too.

In terms of food, make sure you eat lots of protein and have lots of water. Also, I found a bit of greek yogurt with some sugar free jam mixed in was really good to stop me craving anything after dinner in the evenings.

I would say the only pitfall that I'm experiencing is that the diet is probably about 1200-1500 calories a day in cycle 1. That is way below my BMR (which I'm only learning about now).. and doesn't allow even a smaller person with a only bit of weight to do much in terms of exercising.

I like the basics of this diet, but think that the second and third cycles are probably more overall healthy.
    For me now - I'm having to join the "eat more, weigh less" club to see if I can restart my weight loss as I've lost nothing in nearly 2 months. Now, in fact, if I cheat even a tiny bit, I gain weight - a sure sign that the diet wasn't enough calories for me long term.

You do not have to consume 1200 - 1500 calories. There is no limit on calories. He does say you should atleast have a minimum of 1200 but it fits whatever calorie range you need because it just tells you what you can eat, the other real specifics is 2 fruits before 2pm each day, cup of lemon water in the a.m., green tea, 2 servings of yogurt a day the other items are unrestricted until you get to the other cycles reintroducing the carbs/startches which are two servings before 2pm as well. I love it. I have not strictly followed it since about a month or so ago but have learned some healthy habits through doing it. I finshed Cycle 1, 2 and 3 and plan to restart again soon. Good Luck to you.
  • walker001
    walker001 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost, as soon as I went off, I gained. MFP is 100% better.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted a success story on here saying they used that and she lost a TON of weight. The reviews on amazon are really good including one by a medical doctor who approves the diet. I was considering getting it myself.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I loved the 17 Day Diet! I lost 35 pounds on it and never felt like I was depriving myself. Some of the recipes in the book are really good, too.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 8 of cycle 1 and I'm really happy with it. I'm eating lots of vegetables and salad. I really love yogurt. Have started to like green tea again. I'm not hungry and my taste buds seem improved. I've written myself a list of lunches and dinners to make it easier as it helps to plan in advance. I'm losing very nicely on it and feel very keen to keep at it. My husband was so impressed with my results so far that he's joined me on it.
  • swilson1226
    swilson1226 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful!!! Thank you so much. I appreciate your feedback. I see you have the right idea, judging by your amazing weight loss!!
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I tried this before and definitely wasn't eating enough. I am starting it again on Monday and will definitely make sure I am eating enough. Is anyone doing this that has their diary open? Would love to see ideas on meals/snacks. Thanks!