caffeine

Options
I'm looking for something to drink in the morning like coffee but I can't drink it without real sugar.Some days I'm very sleep deprived because of my 11 month old and I work so just thought maybe there's something a little lower in calories, thanks x

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I have coffee every morning with 1 tsp. sugar. It's only 16 cal and 4 carbs. It's not enough for me to give up.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    It's 16 calories for a tsp, I think you can deal with giving up 16 calories for a cup of coffee
  • MeghanAshworth
    Options
    I think if it's only one a day then I should be ok, but may have to use a substitution. Does anyone know a good sugar substitution? x
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Red Bull. Not exactly economical though.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I think if it's only one a day then I should be ok, but may have to use a substitution. Does anyone know a good sugar substitution? x

If I absolutely need somethng sweetened I use Stevia.

To the OP, if you are looking for something other than coffee, have you tried Yogi Perfect Energy Vanilla Spice tea? Almost the same amount of caffeine as coffee, and I can drink it without anything in it.
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Stevia is decent but it's got a mild bitter aftertaste. At least it's natural! ... so they say! Who really knows? My rule is everything in moderation. If you want one cup of coffee with a teaspoon of sugar then you shouldn't deprive yourself. Now if you want a second, third, or fourth cup, I'd try switching to black tea because for me that's easier to take without any sugar.

good luck! :)
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off cream and then sugar in my coffee while in college, it took a while and drinking it black was an acquired taste, but now I'm a certified coffee snob.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I told someone last week that if I die in the morning they'll have to pry my coffee mug out of my cold dead hands.

I use sweet n low, I've used sweet n low as long as I can remember, I actually don't like sugar in coffee. If I had to, however, I'd just drink it black, I love me some coffee.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I weened myself off cream and then sugar in my coffee while in college, it took a while and drinking it black was an acquired taste, but now I'm a certified coffee snob.

Same here! I went from only being able to drink lattes, switched to coffee with lots of cream and sugar, and slowly weened myself to black coffee about 5 years ago. I love it now.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ummm a little obvious maybe but try artifical sweetners?! People can be worried about the effects of artificial sweetners, but you'd have to eat a bucketload of them to have anything bad happen to you and everything in moderation, right? They're usually low cal or even calorie free.

Failing that, why not try gradually reducing the amount of sugar you have in your coffee? I used to always have a spoonful of sugar in my tea, but cut down to half a spoonful, then a quarter, then just a tiny bit, til I eventually weaned myself off it completely. I hate tea with sugar now!!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Try Stevia or Splenda. They don't have the nasty fake sugar taste.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan, but they do make crystal light with caffiene now. It's 5 calories for half of the packet. But I would just go ahead and drink the coffee if you really need the caffiene...it tastes better! :smile:
  • bw57767
    bw57767 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried using splenda?
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I actually stumbled upon this just the other day. I used to used to use both splenda and creamer. But then I would also drink a cup of MIlk (Ultra Skim non fat) with a scoop of Vanilla flavored protein powder. Instead for what ever reason I combined a combination of the coffee and the protein powder. I cut the sugars and carbs from the creamer/ milk and the splenda and just used the Vanilla protein powder to flavor the coffee. I have cut my calories by 90. sugars by 10g sodium by 70g carbs by 4g. And it actually doesn't tast bad.
  • simonkimberlin
    simonkimberlin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a little clear honey? I drink green lemon tea with just a drop of honey in it to take the bitter edge off and its quite nice, not sure on how it would work with coffee but its all natural. :)