Does your family support or sabotage your goals?

Options
Most of my family members are supportive but also have the attitude that they dont believe im going to stick with it in the long run. I was reading the "worst comments ever made about your weight" thread and it reminded me of things my mom says. She doesnt purposely try to hurt my feelings but...
Ive had two babies in the past 2.5 years and was wearing maternity clothes the whole time. Went shopping with my mom and bought my first post pregnancies Jeans with a button. They were size 11. I started losing in January and by March had to get 9's. I was so happy but when I told my mom about it her response was "well, im a 7." Really?
Ive lost about 20lbs and my 9's are getting loose and everyone is starting to make comments about how good I look but my mom says make sure you dont gain it back.
Shes always offering me bad fatty foods or talking about how thin my sis in law is (125 at full term preggo)!
Sometimes I feel like she is so unsupportive of me. I know im an adult and shouldnt care but it really stings when im not expecting it!

Replies

• BiggTim
    BiggTim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My family is supportive. I'm glad my wife is because sometimes I want to eat junk food and she stops me.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My immediate family is supportive, that's all I need.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My family is supportive. Especially my dad. My dad is a health nut. He's 68 years old and super fit. Like, he built a whole mini house all by himself.
  • jroja021
    jroja021 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My jnlaws are like that to me. They say 2 more weeksvill give up the diet.. stupid things like that. Lol the thing my mom does is always remind me that back when she was young 800 calories was the norm for weightloss... I tell her I'm counting calories when I eat food I like but whatever... she'll have her comment and in my head I just tell myself shes old!
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My family doesn't acknowledge it at all. I cook healthy and they won't eat it. They cook (or most likely buy) greasy junk and get angry when I don't join in the gluttony. Mostly, I just ignore it, but it feels like sabotage. They also like to bring all sorts of tempting yuck into the house.

I'm on my own around the house, but my boyfriend is very supportive and also interested in health and fitness.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My husband has been very supportive and even eats whatever I eat even though I know he'd rather order a pizza! He always tells me how great I look not matter what my weight-which is probably why I gained 50 lbs since our wedding without really noticing.

But I totally understand where you're coming from with your mom. They don't mean to bash our egos (they probably got it from their parents and its become a habit) but they do and it's disappointing. You should tell her it hurts your feeling when she says stuff like that. It'll be hard but I'm sure she's not aware that she's hurting you.
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Supports me toning up/getting in shape, applauds when I reach a goal, but continues to bring crap into the house (chips, beer...). He's no twig himself and could stand to lose 15-20 lbs... I'm wearing him down, though! LOL
  • lizal76t
    lizal76t Posts: 13
    Options
    I live with just my husband and try to cook healthy for both of us but it's tough when he is eating a bag of potato chips or some greasy Mcdonalds (even though I know I hate the stuff) and I am eating my yogurt and almonds lol. I do have my mother on myfitnesspal and she is very supportive I think it helps just to have at least one person checking in on you.

On the in-law front, my mother-in-law had gastric bypass last year and has lost over 75 lbs. It is great that she lost the weight but it bugs me because she eats unhealthy now that it is over (doesn't stick to her post-bypass diet) and then she is always talking about losing the weight. She in no way needed that surgery to lose the wieght (she wouldn't even try going to the gym or walking outside) and I know I should be happy for her but to me it feels like she cheated. Now when I go to dinner there I have to eat tiny amounts b/c she cooks with pure lard and it is always some fatty meats lol!

PS if anyone needs someone to check up on their food diary and exercise habits I have been told I am super annoying (but some people need that!!)!
  • rissasgunnadoit
    Options
    well im a military wife so i dont have my family or friends around me, and my husband isnt supportive, so thats why im so glad i have MFP for that boost of confidence and how supportive everyone is on here :)
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm like you with some of my family being supportive and others...well kinda rude. We had a family get together after my second baby and my uncle kept on mentioning things about my weight. He came up to me and asked me why I was so fat and that I used to be so pretty and slim. I wanted to put him on a chokehold.
    My older sister who has always struggled with her weight was so happy that I gained 90lbs and said to me that I shouldn't work out at all because I look good at 5'5 216lbs....Really?
    My mom doesn't say outright things but more like side comments like, "you know you should really work out harder", or "I think your just eating too much, you should stop with all the sweets". I know its out of love but damn sometimes it just hurts.

Yes I use to be a size 2 but I have had to beautiful babies and a thyroid problem but every day now I try to eat better and exercise more for myself and my kids. They are the ones that matter. Eventually when its all said and done I'll have earned my healthy size back....it'll feel good when I can knock out some teeth with my guns too LOL
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My family just hopped on board with me! My fiance is also very supportive (pouring water right away at dinnertime since I've temporarily given up juice, cooking the meals I've planned so I can get homework done, etc.). I'm lucky :).
  • candidglances
    candidglances Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My family is supportive of me! My dad says that he thinks i look fine. He constantly used to pick on me about my slight weight gain but i realize that's just my dad thinking he's being funny. I know he doesn't really think it so i've come to peace with the fact he's just picking on me but still loves me regardless of my weight. My husband is my biggest support right now as we both strive to get ourselves healthy with exercise and eating better! He really drives me when i'm feeling lazy and tired. When I feel the need to veg on chips he tells me NO and that's exactly what I need, someone to help me get back on track on those days. :)
  • pancakemix16
    pancakemix16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My husband supports and sabotages my goals. He will ask me to go out for walks and play tennis which I love. Than he will ask me if I have eaten, and if not he says you need to eat. I hate this because he usually asks me at night when I have finished all my eating. It is also hard because I have dealt with an eating disorder. I know he wants me to lose it slowly but if I start slow I quit.
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options
    Most of my family are pretty good. My MIL is great, always caters to me and what I want, much to hubby's disgust sometimes lol. My side of the family are a little dysfunctional, so don't really worry about them, as don't have a lot to do with them. But mum and dad are supportive whenever I post something on FB. Hubby is supportive but not. He does support me, I think though as the weight is coming off, I'm getting more confident and I'm starting to look good, he's subconsciously trying to hold me back as well. I don't worry too much about it.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    My family is really supportive of me. At my lowest weight, they supported me and helped me in my anorexia recovery, gaining weight, etc, and now my mother is supporting me in my decision to lose weight. They just want the best for me and they want me to be comfortable with myself and I am extremely grateful for that.