cardio before weights or after?

Options
What is better....cardio before weight training or after??

Replies

• feedme
    Options
    Good question! It depends on how much cardio and what your goals are. Personally, I think a short warm up cardio (10 minutes) before weights and longer after (30 - 40 min) is good. Having said that, currently I try to do 60 minutes so I split it 30 before and 30 after. I read somewhere that this is optimal for fat burning. However, if you are trying to build muscle, I would do it all after, because it definately compromises your strength if you tire youself out with cardio first. It's also good to change up your routine every couple of months so your body doesn't adapt, so you could try different ways.
  • rizzagizza
    Options
    whenever i go to a body pump class i make sure i do a cardio session first, even if it's only 10 or 15 mins. i feel that my muscles are more stretched that way and i get more done in class, plus it burns a few more cals!

otherwise i would do something like 15 mins cardio, 30 mins situps/weights etc, 15 mins cardio for a standard session on my own in the gym

x
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    For me, the endorphins from the cardiac workup help to keep me motivated during the session with weights.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It's good to warm up with a 10 minute cardio prior to weights, but personally, when I do that, I usually wind up maxing out on the weights, and a thorough cardio session afterward is impossible for me. I separate the two by at least half a day.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    there is alot of controversy on this.....I know trainers that have clients do cardio before weight training and some that do it after. To me it makes sense to do it before that way your heart rate is up and in your target heart rate zone.....

I am studying to be a trainer and so far in my studies cardio is done first. Like I said trainers do it both ways. I personally dont see any difference in muscles being warmed up or stretched by doing cardio first as my cardio is using my legs.....I lift with my arms, but each person is different and does what is best for them. I do it first to get my heart rate up.

My opinion....cardio first. I know people that throw cardio in before during and after weight training as well. The first cardio session is longer then they add in short cardio bursts during weights and then finish off their gym session with some light cardio.

Hope this helps, good luck
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you are doing both in one workout, there is no question that doing one first will leave the muscles more fatigued for the second. Unless you are in a position to do more than one workout a day, or you can get results by doing only one or the other on a given day, you will have to make choices based on what you prefer and what your goals are.

Personally, I do cardio first because I have found that, while it has a negative effect on my strength workout it is not nearly as great a negative effect as if I try to do strength first. The flip side is that I usually push myself so hard in my cardio workouts that it is often a struggle to summon up the energy and motivation to complete a full, quality strength workout. But right now my preference is to do at least 6 cardio workouts a week, so I live with the consequences.

In a 2004 study, a resistance-only, and a run first/resistance training group achieved a higher post-exercise oxygen consumption compared to run-only and resistance training first/run groups, but the effect was modest at best and the study too limited to really generalize the results.

There are those who advocate doing resistance training first because you will "burn up all your carbohydrates and burn more fat during cardio". That is one of those exercise myths that refuses to die, and I would not base the sequence of your concurrent training on that "concept".
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are doing both in one workout, there is no question that doing one first will leave the muscles more fatigued for the second.

Very true

I always found it's easier to do cardio when fatigued than it is to do weights though.
    With cardio, you just have to remember to keep your feet moving :grumble:
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that really helped a lot!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I do weights first. I have found that I can get my heart rate into the cardio range and pretty much keep it there if my strength training is rigorous enough. If I do cardio first, I'm worn out and cannot give my weight training the focus it deserves.

Bodybuilding.com seems to be fairly consistant in it's member recommendations to do weights then cardio. My goal is not to just lose weight but to reduce my body fat% to a pretty low figure, which involves making muscles :smile: .
  • Azdak
    Options
    I do weights first. I have found that I can get my heart rate into the cardio range and pretty much keep it there if my strength training is rigorous enough. If I do cardio first, I'm worn out and cannot give my weight training the focus it deserves.

Bodybuilding.com seems to be fairly consistant in it's member recommendations to do weights then cardio. My goal is not to just lose weight but to reduce my body fat% to a pretty low figure, which involves making muscles :smile: .

You should know that the elevated heart rate you experience during strength training is not the same as an elevated heart rate during cardiovascular exercise. The underlying physiological mechanisms are different. During strength training (traditional resistance weight lifting to voluntary fatigue in less than 15 reps), even if heart rate is elevated, cardio training (i.e. increased VO2) is not taking place.

If resistance is low enough that cardio training IS occurring, then you are probably not experiencing much increase in strength or muscle mass.

It's not an "off/on" switch--but you cannot really achieve cardio and strength training simultaneously. (Circuit training alternates).
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I've always done cardio first & weighst second. At one point I read that it's best to do weights first--don't recall the reasoning--so I gave it a try..But ended up going back to cardio first. The reason is that I use a HRM & your skin must be damp for the chest strap to conduct a signal. I move around soo much while doing weights & sweat soo little that I'm constantly finding 00 reading. But by doing cardio first I'm soo sweaty already that I don't have that problem
  • Circuit training is the best.
    otherwise
    i do weight training so i have strength to do heavy weight.
    Also do cardio second, it will burn more fat since weight lifting also use up all the gluten(sp? sugar carbo i don't know the actual word for in it) in the body.

bodybuilding.com states that as it is a body building site...I buy my protien from them, anyhow someone earlier posted that it depends on what your trying to do....if you need to lose weight/burn fat cardio first if your trying to be a bodybulider (I kno a few) then cardio after weights.

My personal trainer classes all say cardio before weights....unless your goal is to increase muscle mass like a bodybuilder would do.

But once agian.....different people different opinions. I know trainers who do it one way and then some that do it the other. I guess basically what works for you is best. If you see results then keep doing what your doing.

good luck tho either way. I dont really think this will ever be answered in a right or wrong way.
  • 135gratitude
    Options

You should know that the elevated heart rate you experience during strength training is not the same as an elevated heart rate during cardiovascular exercise. The underlying physiological mechanisms are different. During strength training (traditional resistance weight lifting to voluntary fatigue in less than 15 reps), even if heart rate is elevated, cardio training (i.e. increased VO2) is not taking place.

If resistance is low enough that cardio training IS occurring, then you are probably not experiencing much increase in strength or muscle mass.

It's not an "off/on" switch--but you cannot really achieve cardio and strength training simultaneously. (Circuit training alternates).

This is interesting - I didn't know this!

So, for example, when I am doing P90X and my heart rate monitor is reading an average of a 70% MHR, and at the end says "700 calories burned" should I trust that number? I have been enterting that number into MFP. Is that not accurate?

Thanks in advance for any info!
    :smile:
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Do most of your aerobic exercise before your weights program if you do both in the same session.
    Complete your weights session, cool down then immediately concentrate on recovery, repair and rebuilding rather than additional exercise.
    Consider separate sessions for cardio and weights on different days. This is a popular option when weight loss is not the primary goal. You could also experiment with separate sessions on the same day, but you need to get your refueling right with this approach.
    If weight loss is a primary goal, doing both on the same day with cardio first may offer some advantages in increased metabolism and energy expenditure.
    If strength, rather than hypertrophy (bigger muscles) is a goal, you probably should do cardio and weights on separate days because the heavier lifts may not go as well after doing cardio first. You need to be as fresh as possible for those 4RMs.
    You could mix and match upper and lower body workouts. For example, treadmill running and upper body weights one day and lower body weights and swimming another day.
    Don't get too hung up on this whole idea; if it suits you to reverse the order occasionally, it won't be a problem.

For more info visit: http://weighttraining.about.com/od/techniquesandstrategies/a/cardio_weights_2.htm

Sources:

Drummond MJ, Vehrs PR, Schaalje GB, Parcell AC. Aerobic and resistance exercise sequence affects excess postexercise oxygen consumption. J Strength Cond Res. 2005 May;19(2):332-7
  • Azdak
    Options

So, for example, when I am doing P90X and my heart rate monitor is reading an average of a 70% MHR, and at the end says "700 calories burned" should I trust that number? I have been enterting that number into MFP. Is that not accurate?

Sorry, my router went out this morning and Comcast has been playing with the network, so I have spent the entire day trying to diagnose my internet connection problems--and It appears that I still need to go out and get a new router--and waste tomorrow hooking it up.

Good thing I don't have a job--I don't have time for work ;-P

So, here is my answer to your question, "Is that accurate?":

Yes, no, maybe. What I was referring to was "traditional" weight lifting, e.g. 1-3 sets, up to 15 reps working to "failure". P90x is a combination of moves that will incorporate more "cardio" type movements as well as strength.

As I mentioned before, the body is not a series of "on/off" switches--everything works in unison. When Nautilus selectorized strength machines became popular in the late 1970s, the company made 2 specific benefit claims. One was that the unique design of the cam resulted in a constant resistance force vector throughout the entire range of motion, thus 1 set of exercises using Nautilus machines was equivalent to doing multiple sets of conventional strength exercises or machines.

Two, Nautilus claimed that doing the circuit with ligher levels of resistance (12-15 RM) with no rest between exercises would elevate heart rate and result in simltaneous cardiovascular and strength training, thus removing the need to do separate cardio. Pretty cool, huh? No wonder many clubs installed the Nautilus circuit in a separate room and required you to pay extra for a "Nautilus" membership.

In the mid-1980s, a study was done to directly investigate claim #2. Participants trained on a Nautilus circuit, following the exact directions from Nautilus. The study looked at what progress was made during a 12-week program. Based on stress tests and VO2 analysis, it was determined that, while participants had maintained a 75%-80% heart rate level throughout the workout, there was no improvement in cardiovascular fitness after 12 weeks of Nautilus training.

Hmm....in order to investigate further, they actually did some VO2 studies on subjects during the workout itself. What they discovered was that, while heart rate increased during the exercise, oxygen uptake did not. When you do cardio exercise, the increase in heart rate reflects an increase in oxygen uptake, or aerobic intensity. During strength training, that association does not exist.

(It was a great study, well constructed with clear results. Along with other studies that showed no particular advantage for Nautilus training over other types of strength training, it pretty much started the decline of Nautilus as a company, a decline from which they never recovered.)

Now a combo workout, like P90X, or even a circuit training workout, is going to be more difficult to analyze. First of all, there will be a "carryover" from the cardio intervals, esp if you push at a high intensity--VO2 will remain elevated while the other noncardio movements are performed. Secondly, I suspect that many of the "strength" type movements are not performed at a 12-15 RM resistance level or less.

I suspect that if you analyzed a lot of P90X workouts, you would find results similar to most circuit-training programs--there are increases in both muscle strength and aerobic fitness, but not to the same extent as if you were doing dedicated programs. As far as calorie burn? Harder to say, without knowing your weight, the length of the workout, and the specific movements. For a 1 hour workout, it's not out of the question.

Hope this makes sense. I knew this would come up, since so many people here do these types of classes. I am more concerned with the folks who are doing traditional weight lifting routines and thinking they are getting cardio training too, because HR is elevated or who are using HRMs to track calories during this part of their workouts and assuming they are actually burning those calories.
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Sorry, my router went out this morning and Comcast has been playing with the network, so I have spent the entire day trying to diagnose my internet connection problems--and It appears that I still need to go out and get a new router--and waste tomorrow hooking it up.

Yes, no, maybe. What I was referring to was "traditional" weight lifting, e.g. 1-3 sets, up to 15 reps working to "failure". P90x is a combination of moves that will incorporate more "cardio" type movements as well as strength.

As I mentioned before, the body is not a series of "on/off" switches--everything works in unison. When Nautilus selectorized strength machines became popular in the late 1970s, the company made 2 specific benefit claims. One was that the unique design of the cam resulted in a constant resistance force vector throughout the entire range of motion, thus 1 set of exercises using Nautilus machines was equivalent to doing multiple sets of conventional strength exercises or machines.

Two, Nautilus claimed that doing the circuit with ligher levels of resistance (12-15 RM) with no rest between exercises would elevate heart rate and result in simltaneous cardiovascular and strength training, thus removing the need to do separate cardio. Pretty cool, huh? No wonder many clubs installed the Nautilus circuit in a separate room and required you to pay extra for a "Nautilus" membership.

In the mid-1980s, a study was done to directly investigate claim #2. Participants trained on a Nautilus circuit, following the exact directions from Nautilus. The study looked at what progress was made during a 12-week program. Based on stress tests and VO2 analysis, it was determined that, while participants had maintained a 75%-80% heart rate level throughout the workout, there was no improvement in cardiovascular fitness after 12 weeks of Nautilus training.

Hmm....in order to investigate further, they actually did some VO2 studies on subjects during the workout itself. What they discovered was that, while heart rate increased during the exercise, oxygen uptake did not. When you do cardio exercise, the increase in heart rate reflects an increase in oxygen uptake, or aerobic intensity. During strength training, that association does not exist.

(It was a great study, well constructed with clear results. Along with other studies that showed no particular advantage for Nautilus training over other types of strength training, it pretty much started the decline of Nautilus as a company, a decline from which they never recovered.)

Now a combo workout, like P90X, or even a circuit training workout, is going to be more difficult to analyze. First of all, there will be a "carryover" from the cardio intervals, esp if you push at a high intensity--VO2 will remain elevated while the other noncardio movements are performed. Secondly, I suspect that many of the "strength" type movements are not performed at a 12-15 RM resistance level or less.

I suspect that if you analyzed a lot of P90X workouts, you would find results similar to most circuit-training programs--there are increases in both muscle strength and aerobic fitness, but not to the same extent as if you were doing dedicated programs. As far as calorie burn? Harder to say, without knowing your weight, the length of the workout, and the specific movements. For a 1 hour workout, it's not out of the question.

Hope this makes sense. I knew this would come up, since so many people here do these types of classes. I am more concerned with the folks who are doing traditional weight lifting routines and thinking they are getting cardio training too, because HR is elevated or who are using HRMs to track calories during this part of their workouts and assuming they are actually burning those calories.

WOW! What a great answer - thanks for taking the time Azdak! Makes perfect sense.
    :flowerforyou:

I figured P90X was no substitute for my running (I still run 3-4 times a week in addition to my daily P90X), but I hope I am accurately accounting for my calories (I use my HR monitor).

Have you read anything about heavy lifting being hard on the aorta? My dad is 65 and fit as a fiddle but has a congenital aorta defect and the cardiologist recommended he quit his heavy lifting (I am taking a shot in the dark here - but you seem to know a lot about a lot!).
  • Azdak
    Options

WOW! What a great answer - thanks for taking the time Azdak! Makes perfect sense.

I figured P90X was no substitute for my running (I still run 3-4 times a week in addition to my daily P90X), but I hope I am accurately accounting for my calories (I use my HR monitor).

Have you read anything about heavy lifting being hard on the aorta? My dad is 65 and fit as a fiddle but has a congenital aorta defect and the cardiologist recommended he quit his heavy lifting (I am taking a shot in the dark here - but you seem to know a lot about a lot!).

Having spent most of my time as a fitness professional working within the medical world, I must be extremely cautious about providing any specific information. The load on the heart that occurs with heavier lifting is more of a pressure load (as opposed to aerobic exercise, which is a volume load); that is why the increase in heart rate that occurs with weight lifting is not the same as the increase that occurs during cardio.

For someone with an aortic defect, there could be concerns. As in any medical condition, it is important to make sure your father is communicating his desires clearly with his cardiologist and that the cardiologist is knowledgeable about the specfic demands of lifting and how they would affect your father's specific condition.

It is quite possible, perhaps even probable, that you father will have to restrict/modify his weight lifting activity. However, as a rule, cardiologists don't see a lot of 65 year old lifters, so it's worth pressing the point a little just to make sure.

It may also be possible to come up with a modified routine that allows your father to do some lifting while minimizing risk (things like different exercises, using dumbbells, independent single-arm movments). It wouldn't be quite the same, but it might be possible to come up with an acceptable substitute. Again, it really depends on the specifics of his condition.
  • 135gratitude
    Options

Having spent most of my time as a fitness professional working within the medical world, I must be extremely cautious about providing any specific information. The load on the heart that occurs with heavier lifting is more of a pressure load (as opposed to aerobic exercise, which is a volume load); that is why the increase in heart rate that occurs with weight lifting is not the same as the increase that occurs during cardio.

For someone with an aortic defect, there could be concerns. As in any medical condition, it is important to make sure your father is communicating his desires clearly with his cardiologist and that the cardiologist is knowledgeable about the specfic demands of lifting and how they would affect your father's specific condition.

It is quite possible, perhaps even probable, that you father will have to restrict/modify his weight lifting activity. However, as a rule, cardiologists don't see a lot of 65 year old lifters, so it's worth pressing the point a little just to make sure.

It may also be possible to come up with a modified routine that allows your father to do some lifting while minimizing risk (things like different exercises, using dumbbells, independent single-arm movments). It wouldn't be quite the same, but it might be possible to come up with an acceptable substitute. Again, it really depends on the specifics of his condition.

Thanks again for a great answer.

You hit the nail on the head - the cardiologist quite easily told my father to just give up the lifting, not knowing what that means to him, and eventually, to his strength and fitness level.