Another Question for Breastfeeding Moms

Options
I'm a mom of a 12 week old and nursing. Does anyone have suggestions on a great workout bra and where to find for women who have large breasts, especially for running? I'm currently in a 36H but don't want to run in my nursing bra because they bounce too much and make it very uncomfortable. Not to mention I don't want to get it all sweaty and gross. I currently wear a bra that's WAY too small when working out because I like that I'm held in good but know I shouldn't and I'm afraid it will start to affect my supply.

Replies

• dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Not sure what would work best.... do they sell sports bra's that fit?

I just wanted to say I wouldn't worry about it affecting your milk. That's all supply and demand :-) So as long as your baby is drinking, your going to keep making it no matter how tight your bra is.
  • katkrak
    katkrak Posts: 92
    Options
    I wear my nursing bra with a sports bra over it. And, yes, it does get sweaty, and I have to wash it every time (luckily I have 4!) I will be curious if anyone has any better suggestions too-right now, this works great aside from the washing part.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My 9 month old son is still nursing. I started exercising when he was 6 weeks old and I just wore a Nike sports bra. If he needed to nurse while I was at the gym I would just pull the band up over my breasts to nurse him. It worked well enough and didn't stretch out the sports bra. Those things have so much elastic in them it'd be hard to do so. I think La Leche League makes a nursing sports bra.

I wouldn't be worried directly about supply in terms of wearing a bra that's too small, but I would be worried about creating a blockage and ending up with mastitis that can affect milk supply.

I had mastitis with my second daughter and with my son. No fun.
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think you're ok wearing a securely fitting workout bra b/c you'd just wear it for an hour or so...definitely wouldn't leave it on longer than that though.

What I do is go to a specialty bra shop and get fitted for a really good sports bra. I'm very small across my back with a large cup so I need to be fitted. Then for added support I always wear a workout tank that has a built in support shelf in it. Our breasts are really heavy when filled with milk so we really need to be sure we keep them supported!
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    My only advice would be to wear it only when exercising and go back to your nursing bra when you're not to avoid clogged ducts/mastitis.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    http://cacique.lanebryant.com/full-figure-bras/sport-bras/15023c15041/index.cat

They carry a large selection of bras in many sizes. Also having a buy1 get 1 sale.

Or maybe you could pair a lighter weight sports bra with one of those cami tanks that has the built in shelf bra. So you are doubling it up for more support.

Hope you find the support you need and best luck with the new bundle of joy!!!
  • SlimmerSteph
    SlimmerSteph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!