Tracking Calories for Strength Training?

Options
I just joined up and I am really enjoying using MFP. While I was playing around just getting use to the tools I noticed when you add in strength training it does not automatically enter burned calories. I know this is probably because everyone's body burns at a different rate. If I am lifting weights and keeping track of my set, reps, and weight amount how can I come up with my calories burned? I know buying one of those HRMs/calories counters is one way, but is there any other. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Got this from here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • kpwatson
    kpwatson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you enter it under strength training on the cardio side it will add calories burned.
  • McKristy
    McKristy Posts: 53
    Options
    As you know the best way is to use an HRM but you could also track strength training under cardio for a vague guide.
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great formula Mercenary! I've been looking for something like this for those of us without HRM.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Step 1
    Weigh yourself before each weight lifting session. The number of calories you burn partially depends on your weight.

Time the number of minutes you lifted weights. This includes the time spent resting between repetitions.

Step 3
    Determine the intensity value of your weight training. A bodybuilding level of effort is vigorous and burns 0.055 calories per pound per minute. Circuit training with weights burns 0.042 calories per pound per minute. Strength training with free weights burns 0.039 calories per pound per minute. Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute.

Step 4
    Calculate the number of calories burned. First, multiply your weight by the number of minutes you exercised. For example, if you weigh 140 lbs. and lifted weights for 35 minutes, the formula would be 140 x 35 = 4900. Then multiply this number by the intensity value to get the number of calories burned. If you were circuit training, the formula would be 4900 x 0.042 = 206 calories burned.

Got this from here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

THANKS FOR THIS!
  • Kazimira
    Kazimira Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the formula! I have often wondered this myself, especially since my HRM tanked.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Close to the MFP prediction too actually... and as always dont take these numbers as set in stone.

Today in 45 mins of training with light weights i was 240 cals according to the Live Strong calc. and about 192 in MFP... Not a bad guess, but its jus that.

Be interesting to see when i get my HRM!
  • Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    According to The Journal of Sports Science there are formulas for both genders....the one thing you should time is your heart rate. Even without a HRM you should be able to get an average of your HR.

Here are the equations:

Men use the equation Calories = [(0.6309 x average heart rate) -- (0.09036 x weight) + (0.2017 x age) -- 55.0969] x time / 4.184.

Women use the equation Calories = [(0.4472 x average heart rate) -- (0.05741 x weight) + (0.074 x age) -- 20.4022] x time / 4.184.

The best thing to remember is that muscle continues to burn calories after the work out.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Since weight training, actual heaving lifting, is anaerobic, heart rate doesn't count for much. Depending on your size it's between 200 and 300 and hour. I automatically put my strength training under cardio and manually input 300 for each session, then log any other cardio activity during those days (like intervals) as separate activities and use my HRM to track those and enter separately.
  • Creativeballance
    Options
    Like it.