Be fair to yourself

Options
Be fair to yourself

Imagine someone walks up a hundred steps but feels a bit tired, so they stop and step back down one step. They tell you bitterly: “Now I may as well forget this whole idea of reaching the top! I’ve totally blown it!”

What?! You’d think that was crazy, right? Acting as if all that progress, the 99 steps they did climb, never happened – because they had one slip! But people do this all the time when it comes to weight loss.

You lose weight, maybe four or five pounds, maybe much more. But you slip, have a bad day or a ‘weak moment’, and eat something you shouldn’t have. And what do you tell yourself? “I’ve completely blown it! Now I might as well really binge!”

Beware the perfectionism trap. Aim to eat sensibly and healthily most of the time, not all the time. We all consume more than we should of the wrong kind of food or drink now and then.

Everyone’s weight fluctuates a bit and you should prepare for this (once you’ve reached a healthy weight). Have a ‘sliding scale’ in your mind of a couple of pounds on either side of your target weight. No one can live for long under a self-imposed, too harsh dictatorship

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    this is just what I needed to hear. i'm having such a hard time with the idea of maintaining. thank you so much.
  • Melissa_Dawn90
    Melissa_Dawn90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is very motivating. THank you :)
  • glwelch2012
    Options
    New here and this was nice to read. Thanks!
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    :)
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Love it! :heart:
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Be fair to yourself

Imagine someone walks up a hundred steps but feels a bit tired, so they stop and step back down one step. They tell you bitterly: “Now I may as well forget this whole idea of reaching the top! I’ve totally blown it!”

What?! You’d think that was crazy, right? Acting as if all that progress, the 99 steps they did climb, never happened – because they had one slip! But people do this all the time when it comes to weight loss.

You lose weight, maybe four or five pounds, maybe much more. But you slip, have a bad day or a ‘weak moment’, and eat something you shouldn’t have. And what do you tell yourself? “I’ve completely blown it! Now I might as well really binge!”

Beware the perfectionism trap. Aim to eat sensibly and healthily most of the time, not all the time. We all consume more than we should of the wrong kind of food or drink now and then.

Everyone’s weight fluctuates a bit and you should prepare for this (once you’ve reached a healthy weight). Have a ‘sliding scale’ in your mind of a couple of pounds on either side of your target weight. No one can live for long under a self-imposed, too harsh dictatorship

Very helpful, thank you
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Just what I needed after a day that threw everything off.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    :smile:

it really makes ya think .. i used to be the all or nothing kind of person, but this go around, i am working hard to change that ..
    this hit the spot, so i thought i would share ..
  • cindoje
    cindoje Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realize what you said was my problem. I didn't have a happy medium! My mentality was all or nothing.
    Eventually I would burn out for not giving myself breathing room on my diet and exercise plan. Then I would quit and gain the weight back. I believe I went through this cycle at least four times.
    Now I try not to be so hard on myself. I didn’t gain the weight in a day and I’m not going to lose it in a day either. Just stick to the plan most of the time.
    I’m glad you addressed this as I know many people think this way. It also serves me as a reminder.

Thanks
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    When I joined this my aim was to eat healthier and not skip meals. I have skipped meals all my life so this in itself made it easier for me because now I eat all day. I usually have my big meal at lunch and then snacks throughout the day and I haven't deprived myself of any particular food, I just eat in moderation and when I do cheat which I do sometimes I just make sure I get back on track the next day. I love this site. I don't exercise like the majority does in here, I take a daily walk for about 25 minutes but that is it and this all works great for me so each person needs to figure out what works for them
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Having a bad day today. Scale not moving then did in the wrong direction. I just can't seem to get this and wrap my head around it. Thanks for the positive read. Hope I can figure this out soon and get things moving in the right way again.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    "Like" :) Thanks!
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lisa!!! :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Having a bad day today. Scale not moving then did in the wrong direction. I just can't seem to get this and wrap my head around it. Thanks for the positive read. Hope I can figure this out soon and get things moving in the right way again.

just keep plugging away .. the scales will move

also make sure you taking measurments and i would suggest finding out TDEE then subtracting from there
    there is a post " in place of a map" it has wonderfull info

i couldn't find the exact one i was looking for, but the link below has the exact same info under a different title
    * i made it a tiny url but it leads to an MFP forum post*

http://tinyurl.com/cejlk4c