Benefits of Green Tea?

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
I know green tea is good for you but does it actually help you lose weight?

Replies

• linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    According to this article on Web MD it helps....but it was also written back in 2000, so I'm sure there is more recent research, I just couldn't fnd any.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20000322/drinking-green-tea-may-help-you-lose-weight

It won't work by it self, but is an aid to a good diet and exercise to help speed up your metabolism.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks for the references! It looks there are benefits to it in any case (certainly can't hurt weight loss). Has anyone drank green tea daily and noticed a difference? I want to start drinking more tea but I'm wondering how much it actually can help because too much upsets my stomach (I know adding milk might help that but I prefer tea plain).
  • Mrshotwing
    Mrshotwing Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I drink Green tea daily at least 4 to 5 cups. I love it, plain or with honey in it.
    I have been an avid tea drinker for over a year now and Yes i have noticed a difference. :)
  • sanaabid
    sanaabid Posts: 7
    Options
    I was talking to my uncle about this - phd in biochem - and he said, for the anitoxidant properties to actually benefit you, you need drink copius amounts! So drink you need to drink it throughout the day everyday
  • Moxie42
    Options

Interesting information! Kinda bummed to hear it's not good for iron levels- I'm already slightly anemic :-/
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Hm, sounds like I need to weigh the pros and cons. On one hand, it sounds like it can be effective and it does have a lot of health benefits.....on the other hand, my stomach can probably only handle 2-3 cups a day at most and it's not good as far the anemia goes (definitely can't do iron pills- they make me soooo sick). Maybe I'll just aim for 2 cups a day for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the info and input!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    you can also get it in pill form, so it's a bit more concentrated. I usually take a couple of them in the morning along with my fish oil and multivitamin. not sure how much they help, but also know they won't hurt. so might as well.
  • txmom4
    txmom4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had read some of the benefits of drinking green tea about two weeks ago, so I thought I'd give it a try. I live in the south so I prefer iced tea (too hot here for hot beverages!). I brew green tea and pour it over ice. I drink 4 cups daily and have definitely noticed a difference. It helped me push past a plateau that I had been stuck at for a week. Part of it may be that the fluid fills me up and I'm not as tempted to sit and snack, but either way, it worked for me. :)
  • zen_mama
    zen_mama Posts: 51
    Options
    Hm, sounds like I need to weigh the pros and cons. On one hand, it sounds like it can be effective and it does have a lot of health benefits.....on the other hand, my stomach can probably only handle 2-3 cups a day at most and it's not good as far the anemia goes (definitely can't do iron pills- they make me soooo sick). Maybe I'll just aim for 2 cups a day for a few weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the info and input!

As far as your iron levels go...have you considered taking alfalfa tablets? My mom suffered for years from anemia induced exhaustion and a homeopathic healer put her on the alfalfa tablets. Also eating more dark leafy greens and making sure to get enough vitamin C (aids in absorbtion of iron) will really help boost your iron levels. I had issues with my iron levels for years until I switched to a vegetarian diet and began eating more greens and beans.
  • Moxie42
    Options

As far as your iron levels go...have you considered taking alfalfa tablets? My mom suffered for years from anemia induced exhaustion and a homeopathic healer put her on the alfalfa tablets. Also eating more dark leafy greens and making sure to get enough vitamin C (aids in absorbtion of iron) will really help boost your iron levels. I had issues with my iron levels for years until I switched to a vegetarian diet and began eating more greens and beans.

Interesting! I'll look into the alfalfa- I hadn't heard that before. I've gone through phases of eating a lot of high-iron foods but I kinda gave up because I really wanted to donate blood but even after weeks of eating tons of dark leafy greens (especially spinach) and red meat, I still failed the iron tests. I should be eating more greens in general though anyway- I eat a lot of veggies but not as much of the dark leafy greens as I should.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options

Interesting! I'll look into the alfalfa- I hadn't heard that before. I've gone through phases of eating a lot of high-iron foods but I kinda gave up because I really wanted to donate blood but even after weeks of eating tons of dark leafy greens (especially spinach) and red meat, I still failed the iron tests. I should be eating more greens in general though anyway- I eat a lot of veggies but not as much of the dark leafy greens as I should.
    That's great to know! I am anemic as well and have never heard this.