HRM and calorie counts

Options
2»

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    HRM is way more accurate because it takes into your individual stats while MFP estimates are just that- generic estimates.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I just went swimming. My HRM says I burned 340 calories and when I entered the info into MFP it says I should have burned 820! That is a huge difference and I am happy to eat back what my HRM says I burned instead of eating 500 more calories. If you did that every day imagine how many extra calories you are eating in a week! I say go with your HRM
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    On a average 60 minute workout on the treadmill very fast pace walking 7.2kph. My Polar FT7 usually records more cals burnt than the running machine. On average my HRM give me 652 cals burnt per hour against 612 on the running machine. I usually up it by doing plenty of arm movements ie punching/slapping. This must add to the cals that the treadmill doesn`t pick up.
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    Options
    My HRM is usually less than MFP too, but only by like 20-30 cals or so.
  • TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My HRM is about 100-150 cal burn difference than mfp, and its my hrm that is more cals burned than mfp....I trust my hrm more than MFP...Since i have been eating according to the cals burned to what my HRM says, i feel like i have more energy, better results with dropping my last 6/7lbs...as i didnt get a hrm until this last christmas. As long as your settings and info are programmed into your hrm correctly..i would def trust that as your best bet on getting the most reliable number for cals burned.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I just went swimming. My HRM says I burned 340 calories and when I entered the info into MFP it says I should have burned 820! That is a huge difference and I am happy to eat back what my HRM says I burned instead of eating 500 more calories. If you did that every day imagine how many extra calories you are eating in a week! I say go with your HRM
    just curious how you use your HRM while swimming??

sorry if this is a stupid question. -_-
  • mommyhof3
    Options

It is water resistant and has a chest strap so I don't have to push any buttons. Not a stupid question. When I went looking for a HRM I wanted one that was water resistant because I do a lot of swimming.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

It is water resistant and has a chest strap so I don't have to push any buttons. Not a stupid question. When I went looking for a HRM I wanted one that was water resistant because I do a lot of swimming.

awesome! Mine is water resistant (polar ft7), but the chest strap isn't, so it doesn't do much good...
  • mommyhof3
    Options

awesome! Mine is water resistant (polar ft7), but the chest strap isn't, so it doesn't do much good...

My chest strap is water resistant. I wonder why the polar ft7 is water resistant but the strap is not?!