Exercise and Desk Job???

Options
What can i do at my desk and still getting some type of small exercise in? Does a stress ball count?

Replies

• Barbie1125
    Barbie1125 Posts: 115
    Options
    Are you alone in an office or do you have lots of people around? I stand up and do squats once an hour , no set amount just as many as I can fit in with out anyone catching me or until im gonna fall over. I try and use anything I can, full binders or full folder boxes as weights and do something with them. I know its sooo tricky! With squats you can say you dropped something.. with the binder you can say you were looking for something.. with the folder boxes you can say you were getting one. Good luck!
  • IamEMarie
    IamEMarie Posts: 13
    Options
    I have tons of people around me :(
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I keep a pair of stretch cords in my office and use them when no one is looking lol
  • Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    i dance in my chair, whenever im on hold!!!!!
  • citygirl123
    Options
    I have read that sitting on a stability ball instead of a desk chair helps tremendously. I have yet to try it tho. Just a thought.
  • RainRedfield
    RainRedfield Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Pushups, Situps, Dips between two desks ;)

Usually you can find somewhere to get your heart rate up for 5 or 10 minutes.

Personally I use most of my lunch break to take a walk.

-Rain
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I could really use some tips too, love the squats idea!
  • Whitney0919
    Whitney0919 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just work my legs, by holding them up for as long as possible, which engages your core too. There is not much you can do when there are people around, but at least it's something....
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use my 10 minute breaks to walk around the building a couple of times. Nothing that will make me sweat and smelly but better than sitting at my desk.

I also get up every so often and stretch. Everyone here is used to me so they just shake their head and smile. :)
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i dance in my chair, whenever im on hold!!!!!

Hahahaha!! I do this too but I listen to music on my phone with one earbud in. I'm always moving! I'm also a leg "fidgeter"...always bouncing them up and down.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    All the things I employ:

~Walk around the floor
    ~Take the stairs
    ~Eat at my desk, and then take a walk during my lunch hour
    ~Stand instead of sitting
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I do wall pushups or calf raises while listening to conference calls.
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day . . .would love some advice too . . .checking back later!
  • dulcemiel
    dulcemiel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've gained so much of my weight since i started this desk job. I started forcing myself to walk during my 15 min break. Take the stairs to the bathroom (which adds up with my increased water intake).
    Make yourself go tell someone something instead of an email (if you can get away with it) do pushup even against a wall.
    Hope that helps a bit.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Google "office yoga exercises and stretches". Never avoid an opportunity to walk. If you spend a lot of time in front of a computer monitor, set an online alarm to remind yourself to do a short stretch every 20 minutes or to briefly rest your eyes.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do wall sits as long as i dont have a customer. You lean against the wall and "sit" with out a chair and hold for about a minute.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am stuck sitting at a desk all day too :( and have been wondering about things I could do to burn some extra calories. I am only a 6-month temporary co-op student so I'm not comfortable enough to ask to bring in an exercise ball chair but I think that is a great idea/invention. I do get up to stretch here and there but I usually work through lunch so I am not able to go for a walk then. I sit in a cube so there is some privacy but people walking by could easily see me. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • IamEMarie
    IamEMarie Posts: 13
    Options
    all great ideas. Thanks you guys
  • volleypc
    volleypc Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A lady in our office sits on an excercise ball instead of using a desk chair. I don't do much as far as working out at work, but I do stretch a couple of times a day.. especially back, neck, and shoulders.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Exercise before or after work.