Peanut Butter While Watching Weight

Options
I like peanut butter, but I don't like it enough to crave it, or want it on a daily basis. However, I've heard it has a lot of nutritional value. Within moderation of course, is peanut butter something I should be working into my diet? Or since I'm not a huge fan, should I just leave it alone?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you don't love it, don't eat it. There is no one food you *have* to work into your diet.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    leave it :)
  • BrittaneyHG
    BrittaneyHG Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED peanut butter.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's a good source of protein, but it's not required. I, personally, couldn't live without it, so I work it in. But find what satisfies you!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Most peanut butter has some protein, but also alot of fats. You are probably better off eating some almonds or cheese.

You don't have to eat any one thing to be healthy. You just have to learn what your body needs (protein, vitamins, iron, carbs, fats, etc) and find sources of it that YOU like.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i say dont bother
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat something only because of it's nutritional content. I don't like fish or red meat and I wouldn't start now...but peanut butter :love:
  • alliep53
    alliep53 Posts: 1
    Options
    Agreed, just leave it out:) THere is also almond butter, which I prefer to peanut butter. IF you're trying to incorporate healthy fats Im an avocado junkie and I love cinnamon roast almonds!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    to be honest it's NOT that nutritionally dense. I think that people who say "oh, peanut butter is so good, la la la..." REALLY mean that as a somewhat indulgent snack or treat it's quite healthy, compared to say, chocolate covered pretzels.
    I eat peanut butter every single day in my oatmeal so I'm not bashing it, but I think the people who sing praises about it are just HAPPY to have something really really delicious that they can feel good about eating! Peanut butter seriously is wonderful to many of us, but if you don't already love it, peanut butter is actually verrrryy high calorie per gram of protein compared to ANY other type of protein. Protein powder would probably be a better choice if you're looking for something nutritionally dense.
    Just my opinion!! :)
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hitting your macro-nutrient numbers (protein, carbs, fats), you can eat whatever you want. If you plan on losing weight, make sure you're eating in a calorie defecit (which mfp should already be set up for).

That being said, I eat peanut butter almost every day because it's good!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's a good source of protein, but it's not required. I, personally, couldn't live without it, so I work it in. But find what satisfies you!

Please see thread.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/568563-peanut-butter-is-a-good-source-of-protein?error_user_id=10016622&error_username=My1985Freckles&hl=peanut+butter+not+a+good+source
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If u like it, no harm in having it... If u don't crave it, better stay off. Why add unnecessary cals. :) Instead have something u love... in moderation ofcourse..
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The people who seem most successful at losing weight and keeping it off are those who understand that it's all about balance, and changing the ratio of foods you eat. When you want to lose weight, you need to eat MORE foods like vegetables and meats, and LESS foods like peanut butter that have nutritional value and are not worth eliminating from your diet, but are higher in calories.

Most people lost weight because they learned how to moderate what they eat, and took control over their eating. I still eat cookies sometimes. Eating peanut butter once in a while will not break your diet goals.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    It has protein but it also has a ton of calories so I skip it and use Bell Plantation's PB2 which has a MUCH better calorie/protein ratio. (85% less fat calories + 6g protein per 2 TBSP). I'm really not a peanut butter person but I do like to use it in shakes and homemade oatmeal bars and cookies, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Not really. There's many better choices on a calorie basis for nutrition. The healthy fats that everyone suggests are the ones we want least of in our diet (omega 6's). Saying that peanut butter is fine in moderation.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I have it every day, but more mixed in with protein powder etc to give it the extra I think it's missing in the form of protein bars \m/
  • kitas719
    kitas719 Posts: 1
    Options
    I myself love peanut butter and find it brilliant to keep you going... i have it in the morning with two slices of wholegrain bread and it can keep me going for hours with out feeling the need to pick at food or crave food.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter after a run. :smile:
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You don't "have to" eat Peanut Butter especially if you are not a fan of it.

I personally love it, and eat it practically everyday... but usually in a shake of just on a slice of wheat bread. I don't use the low cal kind that most people gravitate towards because you could eat more of it. The kind I use has flaxseed, wheat germ, egg whites etc. which makes it higher in protein, fiber and antioxidants plus it tastes great :smile: