Who eats high amounts of protein even on rest days??

I have recently started to increase the amount of protein in my diet in order to help tone and build muscle definition. But should I still be trying to eat pure protein bars and other high protein foods on rest days even if it will put my over my calories? Just not sure if its more important to get the protein or stay close to daily calorie goal on rest days...help...

Replies

• strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 265 Member
    Me!! Me!! I eat high protein all the time, including rest days (but I think you already knew that :smile: )
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I set up my macros so that my base for protein before exercise adjustments would be just over my weight (so it's at 136). That is the lowest I try to hit on any given day, but I do better some times than others.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    If you're eating about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass, every day, you should be covered. If you come in a little over or a little under sometimes, no big deal.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    I eat tons of protein every day. When you lift weights, all you are doing is breaking down the muscle. It's the protein that feeds it to make it stronger. A day after you lift weights, your muscles are still recovering and its important to feed them.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    I do, I just hit 225 g of proteins today :smokin:
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,266 Member
    I try to hit 100 on rest days and 200 on weight days.
  • ashleygx26
    ashleygx26 Posts: 140
    I always eat high protein... On or off days. I find I feel like I made the healthier choice
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    I have recently started to increase the amount of protein in my diet in order to help tone and build muscle definition. But should I still be trying to eat pure protein bars and other high protein foods on rest days even if it will put my over my calories? Just not sure if its more important to get the protein or stay close to daily calorie goal on rest days...help...

I always eat high protein but I don't go over my calorie goal for the day. Personally I adore the Pure Protein bars as well but hate the amount of sugar in them. Do a bit of research into making your own protein bars, it's quite easy if you have a surplus of good whey protein. My wife makes a batch weekly for the past 2 months and I LOVE THEM.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Always eat high protein - but there's no reason why hitting high protein should be the cause of your going over calorie goal.

You might want to take another look at what kind of protein you're eating, if it's so high calorie (migh be fine on workout days, but you can eat lower cal proteins on your rest days).
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    I aim to eat 120 grams of protein daily. Sometimes I come in a little higher, sometimes a little lower, but its the same for me whether I am on rest or workout days.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    i eat the same amount every day whether i exercise or not.
    If you plan your days properly, you will be able to meet your macros without going over calories.

I find it helps to plan out my day the night before, starting with dinner as thats ususally the biggest meal - eg if i am having pasta for dinner which is high carb, i will have a lower carb lunch. If I have a sandwich for dinner and am low on protein, I will make a dinner with a lot of chicken.I then use my snacks to make up any shortages, or to have a treat if I have calories left over.

If you just eat lunch and dinner and look at macros afterwards, thats when you run into problems making everything fit. You will soon learn which meal combinations work best to suit your macros :-)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,128 Member
    I do. We repair muscle on rest days.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Protein is the number one macro, if water were a macro it would be number 2.
    I aim for about 200 but usually end up at about 250.

What a little extra protein among friends?
    :wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I do... 150+ every day, regardless... sometimes as much as 250g depending on the day.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Your calorie goal is only 1300 so going over for you probably isn't really a bad thing since 1300 is a pretty low daily goal, especially if you are trying to build muscle.
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    My diet only drops 25-40 grams on rest days simply because I don't do a post workout protein shake. Everything else stays the same.
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member

I always eat high protein but I don't go over my calorie goal for the day. Personally I adore the Pure Protein bars as well but hate the amount of sugar in them. Do a bit of research into making your own protein bars, it's quite easy if you have a surplus of good whey protein. My wife makes a batch weekly for the past 2 months and I LOVE THEM.

So true - I have gotten a few good protein bar recepies from friends on here and plan to make some of my own this weekend - looking forward to seeing how they come out!
  • laurcampbell
    laurcampbell Posts: 54 Member
    Thank you all so much for this feedback - what is everyone eating that they get their protein up over 100g every day? Until I became consious of increasing my protein my usual intake was really low, maybe 60-80g a day, now with trying I just reach about 100g...
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    I eat 1.3g. protein per lb of overall body weight. I weigh 230ish lbs @ 6'0- 6'1ish height

I mostly eat this stuff mainly because I dont need an abundance of carbs mixed with my protein but here is my list:
    chicken/canned chicken,
    steaks
    peanut butter
    90/10 ground sirloin/beef
    Dairy milk/eggs/cheese
    protein powder shake x3 a day

I work out 3x a day 4-5 days a week so I eat a lot of protein

I dont eat the Protein bars because most of them have way to much sugar.
    Also I always stay with in my macros or daily calorie intake goals and try not to go over them as its important to stay with in those goals. You can adjust your Carb,Fat,Protein macros higher or lower depending on your needs so you dont have to go over.