Sedentary or Lightly Active Setting?

Options
Hello! I had a question regarding my settings. Initially, I had myself set to "sedentary." Today, however, I changed to "lightly active." I am a teacher, so I do stand all day and move around my classroom. However, I don't move at a quick pace or walk as much as a nurse would, which is the example given by MFP. I work out about four times a week, as well. When I updated, the difference in calories seemed staggering! Any thoughts on this on whether I should leave it or change it back?

Replies

• rajhara7
    rajhara7 Posts: 11
    Options
    I would leave it on sedentary and monitor your weight loss for 2 weeks. If you start to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week or are feeling unhealthy (due to lack of calories), then change the setting.

The worst thing that will happen is you may lose more weight than you initially expected!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for months (and months) but I still don't really know the answer to this.

I have a desk job, so I chose sedentary - but I've been told multiple times that most people, even those who sit down at work, don't really have sedentary lifestyles.

*shrug* and bump
  • theresak331
    theresak331 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! When I started MFP at the beginning of March, I was thrilled with the weight loss...I was losing about 1 lb a week. It has now taken me three weeks to lose .8 lbs, even though I have been drinking water, trying to eat even healthier, and working out and eating back most of my exercise cals. I weigh in this weekend, and I am nervous!
  • markyb1977
    markyb1977 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    weigh your food for a week, see how accurate your portion estimates have been ... you may surprise yourself... normally rice and potatoe's