Exercise for the disabled

Options
Other than walking, does anyone have any recommendations for exercises that someone with physical disabilities can do? Insanity is out of the question, walking slow only burns so many calories and gets old. Just looking for low effort exercise ideas that I can add to my regiment.

PS. I have multiple sclerosis which causes extreme fatigue and muscle weakness. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Replies

• picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    There are dvds out there called Sit and Be Fit that use light weights and resistance bands.
  • HeidiLynnM
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, and I am in a flare right now. My sister inlaw has Ms, and uses a cane. She either uses the treadmill or elliptical. It keeps your legs stronger. Walking is sooooo good for your legs. I know how it feels. I am in pain almost every day. Add me as a friend if you want :)
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Have you tried a stationary bike or elliptical! Both keep you legs moving in one plane of motion. With the bike you get a little support from the seat too. Otherwise you could look into chairaerobics.

The best thing to do is to speak to a physio or your doctor about it as I'm making random suggestion and am not a qualified professional.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • tumteetum
    tumteetum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Pilates is working quite well for me (fatigue, muscle weakness are part of my illness too).

I'm also using DVD workouts designed for seniors which have seated elements to them. Jane Fonda's Prime Time Fit & Strong has a non-cardio toning workout which is part seated, part standing but you can use a chair to balance. It's about 20-25mins and has definately helped me with flexibility and posture and I think some inch loss.

I also bought a good rebounder (the PT Bouncer) for very gentle rebounding. Not sure it will work as well as claimed but thought I'd give it a go.

Swimming and/or exercises in the pool is another thing I'm hoping to introduce soon. Just short sessions to begin.

Other things that have been suggested or seen friends getting results with are a stationary bike (or one of those Pedal Exericers you can use sitting comfortably), cross trainer/elliptical, weight training, Tai Chi, yoga and using a Wii.
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am an above knee amputee. My primary cardio is cycling. I use a exercise bike with foot straps at the gym. I also have a recumbent tricycle I ride frequently when there is not snow on the ground. Not sure if it is possible for you, but I also lift weights. I can't do certain things, but I do a lot of core, upper body, and what I can for legs (Leg press, leg extension, etc).
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have neurological condition that causes balance & co-ordination problems with some involuntary movement (mild).

I use what's called a 'Passive Trainer' as I am unable to pedal by myself but its like motorised pedals and they help my legs do the pedalling motion. I can burn about 650 cals in an hour.

A study done on people with Parkinsons showed that 'Forced Exercise (assisted pedalling so you'd pedal faster than you were able to by yourself) activates different areas of the brain to voluntary exercise and can reduce muscle spams and tremor. I've been doing it for a year and have had a big improvement in reduction of involuntary movement and better voluntary control or fine motor tasks like typing, eating etc (not as shaky with food going everywhere!)

I also love my Wii and do some games from sitting in chair, some from floor and sitting or standing on balance board (with walking frame around to hold onto).
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm a paraplegic and I use a stationary desk-top bike for cardio and I also do weight training with free weights. If you could get some adjustable dumbbells, you could start out as light as necessary and then add weights as you see fit ... you could do quite a few different exercises with those.
  • clarrie94
    clarrie94 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hi :) my dad had MS too but he is still managing running and cylcling at the moment, but my mum is a sports teacher for the disabled and she does quite abit of volleyball and table tennis with them so i dont know whether they would be any good but walking is still a good way to burn cals