Conflicts in MFP Calories

Options
Rivers2k
Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
How do I figure out Calories. I am having Steak for dinner and the search results showed an average of 6oz is 200 calories. That seems low to me and every where else on the internet shows 320 Calories for 6ox of grilled steak.

I joined here a while ago and my wieght yoyo's I do well for a while slip up once and then put all the wieght back on. I am determined to stick with it. i Just don't know if I can trust the Calories on MFP

Replies

• tpt42087
    tpt42087 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What kind of steak and how is it being cooked?
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    Sirloin and Grilled.

No oil just some seasonings that I have the nutrition info for.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sirloin and Grilled.

If you have the packaging info that came with it, can you just create your own entry?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How do I figure out Calories. I am having Steak for dinner and the search results showed an average of 6oz is 200 calories. That seems low to me and every where else on the internet shows 320 Calories for 6ox of grilled steak.

I joined here a while ago and my wieght yoyo's I do well for a while slip up once and then put all the wieght back on. I am determined to stick with it. i Just don't know if I can trust the Calories on MFP

Are you looking at weight cooked or raw?
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    weight of steak is decided before it is cooked. i am sure a rare steak would weigh more afterwards then a well done steak would. nothing is going to be 100% correct
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    Sirloin and Grilled.

If you have the packaging info that came with it, can you just create your own entry?

I meant I have the nutritional info for the Seasoning, so I don't need that info. The meat has no calories on the package.
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    weight of steak is decided before it is cooked. i am sure a rare steak would weigh more afterwards then a well done steak would. nothing is going to be 100% correct

I am looking at 6oz cooked (Grilled) Steak. I know nothing will be 100% correct but 120 calorie difference is a big difference.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I found the same conflict with calories burnt for exercise; my exercise bike and pedometer come up with way less calories burnt than the ones that come up on here. Personally I would always err on the side of caution. If everywhere else says a higher calorie for your steak then I would do a manual entry and count the higher number.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Weigh it after you cook it. 6 oz of raw steak will have a different nutritional value than 6 oz of cooked steak.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I Am pretty sure the 320 is correct. I'll bet someone punched in the 4 oz portion for the six ounce.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    In a 3 oz. serving you will be around 158 cals, 5.3 grams fat and 25.8 grams protein.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Many entries are not accurate and you should verify by going to another source such as the nutrition database on self.com. There are many sources of this information. As I started using the tracker, I checked each entry that I made. I found that some entries lacked certain nutritional components that I wanted to track. So I sourced the information and made the edit adjustments. It was time consuming, but after a month or so I had 90% or so of the stuff I eat on my lists, that task fell away and it just check and click, very fast.
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    So if the 320 is correct do we just not trust the MFP numbers or just sort of use it as a guidline?

Do you all just use the tracking and get the Calories from someplace else?
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    [/quote]

Many entries are not accurate and you should verify by going to another source such as the nutrition database on self.com. There are many sources of this information. As I started using the tracker, I checked each entry that I made. I found that some entries lacked certain nutritional components that I wanted to track. So I sourced the information and made the edit adjustments. It was time consuming, but after a month or so I had 90% or so of the stuff I eat on my lists, that task fell away and it just check and click, very fast.
    [/quote]

Good tip Thanks
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it too much! 120 cals worth of steak isn't what will effect your diet.. it's those times you mess up & don't care, just like you said. i would take the smaller count & add an extra half ounce of meat to your count & it's been met 50/50.