Heavy Lifting with Resistance Bands

Options
Hi all. I am interested in starting a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), but I am having some issues:

1) I really need the flexibility to workout from Home. I am a Dad who has my two small kids 50% of the time. I work a lot, and have a girlfriend. Juggling all of these things and getting to a gym is problematic (I already do P90 sculpt 3X a week at home and do well with that)
2) I looked into starting a home gym but that is expensive, even if I make my own DIY power rack and bench, with weights I am looking around $350 to START. That is more than I can go now.
3) I live in an apartment so space is a premium
4) I travel a lot for my work

So these four things and the recommendation of another user here, led me to look at resistance bands. I can get resistance bands (for under $100) that will give me all the weight I need to get me to 300lbs. My questions are:

1) Is this a decent way to start?
2) If I start with this, and start buying the heavy weights piece by piece, can I make a smooth transition?

Help please!

Replies

• chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    One bump. Anyone?
  • ben_running
    Options
    I own the original Bodylastics set, but I've not used it much, HOWEVER I have been using it recently. As far as heavy goes, I've not used if for that purpose (just general toning). I notice that when I'm benching with the multiple heavy bands that I really have to brace myself, so there is some resistance there. To keep from rambling, I'll just say that it's better than nothing. It travels well and I can expand it by buying more bands.

G'luck
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are a great option for your circumstances. They do work well, they are inexpensive, they take up very little space, you can travel with them and they can be used in an absolute ton of neat and fun ways to give you a great work out.

And I have to admit, unless you are very good at that type of stuff I'd be very wary of doing a dyi rack and bench.

The only thing I would look into is if you can mimic the moves that are done in the Stronglifts 5x5 program with the bands. I imagine that a quick google search will help you there.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I really think this might be the way for me to start out. This would at least get me through the first 6-12 months of the strong lift program.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Bodylastics and would strongly recommend them. They're extremely high quality (and come with a lifetime guarantee) and give a great workout. My boyfriend lifts 60-pound dumbbells and was resistant (no pun intended) to trying the bands, assuming they would be too easy, but realized he needed to start varying his workouts. Well, he tried hooking up two 30 pound bands and couldn't even budge it (to his shock and surprise)! He now uses both the dumbbells and the bands.
  • naprestsleep
    naprestsleep Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am interested in starting a heavy lifting program (Stronglifts 5x5), but I am having some issues:

1) I really need the flexibility to workout from Home. I am a Dad who has my two small kids 50% of the time. I work a lot, and have a girlfriend. Juggling all of these things and getting to a gym is problematic (I already do P90 sculpt 3X a week at home and do well with that)
    2) I looked into starting a home gym but that is expensive, even if I make my own DIY power rack and bench, with weights I am looking around $350 to START. That is more than I can go now.
    3) I live in an apartment so space is a premium
    4) I travel a lot for my work

So these four things and the recommendation of another user here, led me to look at resistance bands. I can get resistance bands (for under $100) that will give me all the weight I need to get me to 300lbs. My questions are:

1) Is this a decent way to start?
    2) If I start with this, and start buying the heavy weights piece by piece, can I make a smooth transition?

Help please!

Strong Lifts is all about the free weight training while doing the set program. I would pick some other strengthen training with resistance bands and when you get a home gym setup switch to Strong Lifts.