Calf muscle injury - looking for idea's

Options
I know there are a lot of runners and such on here. So looking for advice on helping my calf muscle get better, and also other exercise idea's.

I was walking and just started jogging (in place). It started hurting a little bit a couple days ago. I just figured it was the leg exercise I was doing and the increas of activity. Well today I started my warm up and was doing jumping jacks. Not far into it and a pain goes through my left calf and that was it I was down for the count. Now before anyone say's get tough or any other rude remark I am a mother,(spend 24 hr in labor without any med's), with fibro and deal with pain daily and never take so much as a advil so when I say this was pain I mean this was pain.

I want to keep moving and getting exercise in just walking is out, jogging is out, heck jumping jacks maybe out for now. So any idea's.

A) right now have muscle rub and calf wrapped tight with a heating pad wrapped around it. Any further idea's

B) what exercise can I do instead that are calorie burners. I am just getting back into serious exercise after about a 12 year break. So need ideas

Thanks for the positive feedback

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    swimming could be good if you have access to a pool. You can also do water running in a pool, which is a great work out and no impact. Also you may want to try and take some aleve for any inflammation, until the calf is feeling better. I think a lot depends on what the pain is from, and you'll need to sort that out....that would kind of impact your future exercise plan, you know?
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I wanted to start out in water routine but where we live the only pool around is public pool and to cold for that right now. Once it does open it is so packed all you can do is basicly stand in one place. I will try some form of pain med. I just hate taking pain meds cause they seem to effect me. But will have hubby pick up something tonight on way home from work.

Are there any Yoga or pilates exercises I could maybe do that wouldn't inflame my leg. I am sorry if I seem so dumb about these things but I am a newbie.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Ice it; 15 minutes on, 20-30 minutes off. Let it heal. Make sure you stretch really good every time before you exercise. Wear good tennis shoes with proper support (with socks!) Try to exercise on a mat, if no mat then carpet. Drink lots of water, it naturally cushions joints.

Take it easy, you don't have to go balls to walls every time. Push hard, but monitor yourself for injury and pay attention to training tips regarding postures and stances because if you are in the wrong position you can really hurt yourself.
  • annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    I pulled my calf muscle 2 years ago while running very fast uphill. It was very sudden - like a snapping sensation and the pain was unbelievable! I went to a sports doctor and he told me to stop running for 4 weeks. He also said that I could do anything else, as long as it did not hurt the calf to do it, including bike riding. I did not run at all for the full 4 weeks, until I went back to the doctor and he gave me the okay to start again. Occasionally I experience a slight twinge in the calf, but I am back to running on a regular basis. The key is to really let it heal 100% or else you will likely end up with a chronic injury. If it does not hurt to ride a bike - do that in the meantime
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Take it easy, you don't have to go balls to walls every time. Push hard, but monitor yourself for injury and pay attention to training tips regarding postures and stances because if you are in the wrong position you can really hurt yourself.

:laugh: Had to laugh at "balls to the wall" made me think of a movie line "Balls to the wall boy's" think it was down periscope. That seems the way I do everything though. I get so pumped up that I just go full full throttle. I was so excited about getting healthy and losing this dumb weight. I finally felt like doing some exercise other then walking and was trying to branch out. I had asked before for suggestions (didn't get any). My post always seem to get lost in the number of post and I either didn't get a reply or they seem to start a war (asked about upping my calorie intake ~ BIG mistake).

I haven't tried cold yet just cause cold seems to make my fibro act up but will try that. Thanks for the idea's.

I just hope this doesn't keep me down. I have joined a couple challenges to keep motivated and try to learn exercise's I don't want to miss out or get eliminated from them. I just want to keep moving somehow.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    I pulled my calf muscle 2 years ago while running very fast uphill. It was very sudden - like a snapping sensation and the pain was unbelievable! I went to a sports doctor and he told me to stop running for 4 weeks. He also said that I could do anything else, as long as it did not hurt the calf to do it, including bike riding. I did not run at all for the full 4 weeks, until I went back to the doctor and he gave me the okay to start again. Occasionally I experience a slight twinge in the calf, but I am back to running on a regular basis. The key is to really let it heal 100% or else you will likely end up with a chronic injury. If it does not hurt to ride a bike - do that in the meantime

This is a fear that I will hurt myself bad or end up with a chronic injury. Sure don't want that have enough of those. Bike riding is not an option here. Not cause of pain just not safe. Other idea's
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    I just finished getting over a calf strain and am back to running. Mine kind of made a wet snap/pop sensation and balled up a little. A friend of mine is also my Physical Therapists and he had me of course do the R.I.C.E. thing. We also worked on (i'm gonna screw up the name so i will describe it) negative lifting for the calf, kind of opposite of a calf raise. Stair/Step/Platform slowly lower my self on one leg (the bad one). Eventually I added weights and still do the exercise. Another trick was he had me buy a cheap rolling pin from the supermarket and I use the rolling pin like a runner's stick (expensive) over the affected area to stretch and warm up the muscle before exercise. Also lots of time on the bike to maintain cardio. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • annamook
    annamook Posts: 28
    Options
    Bike riding is not an option here. Not cause of pain just not safe.

Stationary bike?
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just finished getting over a calf strain and am back to running. Mine kind of made a wet snap/pop sensation and balled up a little. A friend of mine is also my Physical Therapists and he had me of course do the R.I.C.E. thing. We also worked on (i'm gonna screw up the name so i will describe it) negative lifting for the calf, kind of opposite of a calf raise. Stair/Step/Platform slowly lower my self on one leg (the bad one). Eventually I added weights and still do the exercise. Another trick was he had me buy a cheap rolling pin from the supermarket and I use the rolling pin like a runner's stick (expensive) over the affected area to stretch and warm up the muscle before exercise. Also lots of time on the bike to maintain cardio. Hope this helps and good luck.

This.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    Bike riding is not an option here. Not cause of pain just not safe.

Stationary bike?
    [/quote]

Don't have one or know anyone who does I have a treadmill, Few weights but nothing to write home about. Just got some bands the other day haven't even got to open yet.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options

Thanks for the idea. Trying to wrap my head around all this but think I understand the exercise. Ok another dumb question what does R.I.C.E stand for. Told you all I am a newbie.
  • Justacoffeenut
    Options
    I do appreciate all the positve feed back. I want to get better and keep moving. Thanks for no one chewing me out.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I would drop calf raises altogether to be honest. They get hammered pretty good with heavy squats and DL's, not to mention other exercises like lunges.
  • glonigan
    glonigan Posts: 82
    Options
    sorry for delayed response. RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation. The best purchase I made for my legs have been the CEP Compression Socks. I am in the process of upping my mileage and wear these post run. Another good exercise are knee bumps. Basically stand 4-6" from wall with bad calf leg and slowly try and touch your knee to the wall while keeping your heel on the ground. Make sure your knee is going over your small toes and not the big one. This also helps with knee stability as well. Good Luck

The Calf exercise should be negatives for the calf and not calf raises which will help with the actual motion found in running (flexing and lengthening at the same time.) I am not a doctor or PT but took melatonin last night and got a great nights sleep. :-)
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Ice, gentle stretching, rest, repeat.
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was having calf issues for awhile...I was lucky to feel the strain coming on and was able to stretch them out before a tear or something worse...I bought support sleeves at a running store(made by cep), and they have helped greatly...They feel fabulous while youre running too...Worth a try...
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    For at least the first 48 hours you should be icing, which will help reduce any swelling. After that you should alternate ice and heat for about 20 minutes at a time. Always finish with ice. Maybe some bio-freeze would work at well. Just rub it onto the area that hurts and lightly wrap it. Good luck
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    RICE ( Rest Ice Compression and elevation) and arnica gel!!!! really helps injuries heal,
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I know there are a lot of runners and such on here. So looking for advice on helping my calf muscle get better, and also other exercise idea's.

I was walking and just started jogging (in place). It started hurting a little bit a couple days ago. I just figured it was the leg exercise I was doing and the increas of activity. Well today I started my warm up and was doing jumping jacks. Not far into it and a pain goes through my left calf and that was it I was down for the count. Now before anyone say's get tough or any other rude remark I am a mother,(spend 24 hr in labor without any med's), with fibro and deal with pain daily and never take so much as a advil so when I say this was pain I mean this was pain.

I want to keep moving and getting exercise in just walking is out, jogging is out, heck jumping jacks maybe out for now. So any idea's.

A) right now have muscle rub and calf wrapped tight with a heating pad wrapped around it. Any further idea's

B) what exercise can I do instead that are calorie burners. I am just getting back into serious exercise after about a 12 year break. So need ideas

Thanks for the positive feedback

Sounds like an achilles problem, be really, really careful and don't try to run on that. Have you been to the doctors to find out?

Somebody mentioned swimming, that is an excellent alternative OP, there will be no strain or stress on your calf.