Changes in menstrual cycles?

Options
Hey everyone, so I apologize if this is too personal but I'd really like to know if any women have experienced a delay or absence of their menstruation after change in diet/weight loss? I'm not pregnant but am still unusually late. Any ideas?

Replies

• NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did..I started my fitness journey in January... Period was 9 days late in Feb. It also has gotten loads lighter and shorter!
  • Wildgirl10
    Options
    Not a delay but my cycle went from 28 days (I had a baby 9mths ago) to 21-23 days..so the excersise has made it fluctuate a bit.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    low carb can mess with them a bit. Stress, injury, and all sorts of things can too.
  • amblee125
    amblee125 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Yes! Mine are much shorter and so much lighter!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes, this can totally happen! It usually only takes about 1 or 2 cycles for it to get back into a routein.
  • Chrimd
    Chrimd Posts: 1
    Options
    You seem young so, I would tell you that, in my experience, the low-carb diet changed my cycles a little. I am now peri-menopausal so, I have gained weight for no apparent reason and I can diet and exercise all month long and never lose an ounce. I am merely maintaining a weight that I would have cringed at in my younger years so, hormones could also play a part.
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have but I might be peri menopausal. Im 43! Did not have cycle in March but had two in April along with a severe acne breakout! I think because of that it slowed my weight loss is March but was able to get to goal in April! Waiting to see what May holds for me as I decided to go for 5 more pounds
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i havent gotten mine since novermber....so I'm getting concerned! but i run a lot so that might be it...
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This month I missed mine altogether! LOL I had to buy a test just to make sure there wasn't a bun in the oven. I am hoping that it's back next month. Lighter would be nicer too :)
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    i have noticed since i started working out, mine is a bit more ..
    but i have read that diet and or exercise can play havoc on your periods as your body tries to level out the hormones
  • Jaidee1979
    Jaidee1979 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so I apologize if this is too personal but I'd really like to know if any women have experienced a delay or absence of their menstruation after change in diet/weight loss? I'm not pregnant but am still unusually late. Any ideas?
    I'm experiencing the same as well. I'm currently five days late. Don't know if I should be worried or not?!
  • thirdday70x7
    thirdday70x7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't be concerned, hun. The same thing happened to me last year when I started working out/dieting. Then I stopped going for several months and as of this month it happened to me again. It's all part of your body adjusting to your new routine!

Best of Luck!
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations seem to be common so not a big concern but just be aware that very a low body fat percentage can cause cycles to stop and this would be an unhealthy sign (probably below 12-15% body fat for women).
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mine came 2 weeks late last month and a week early this month and I am normally very regular but it is normal when your body takes on major changes. No worries in a few months it'll get back to normal for most women.
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone(: I'm trying not to be nervous but it's been about two weeks since I was due so we'll see!
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I did..I started my fitness journey in January... Period was 9 days late in Feb. It also has gotten loads lighter and shorter!

This!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Mine was off and sporadic, then started losing and now they tend to be more constant....still off a day or so here and there but we are getting there.
  • Gerry_Lane
    Options
    This is not uncommon. All hormones are stored and released from fat cells. As you lose fat, you lose the storage space and it does change your cycles. That is part of why many anorexic people do not have cycles any longer.

Gerry
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    This is not uncommon. All hormones are stored and released from fat cells. As you lose fat, you lose the storage space and it does change your cycles. That is part of why many anorexic people do not have cycles any longer.

Gerry

I actually just read a book about this so I assumed that my change in diet was most likely the reason for my late cycle. It's actually pretty fascinating=p
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have always been off on my cycles and 7 days. I am now on track now every 27-28 days still the same length. The only change is since Feb when I started working out my symptoms for my cycle got worse.