Ideas that don't involve veggies

Options
bmblair041
bmblair041 Posts: 35 Member
Can't stand veggies, try to force em down and I just puke em back up whether I want to or not. Soooooo. I'm trying to make healthy foods that don't have veggies in them. Any suggestions? I don't know how to cook much so I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

Replies

• Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you like hummus? I never did, but now I like eating it with pita bread or crackers. It's a great source of protein.

And even better: no cooking required. :)
  • returningmyfatsuit
    returningmyfatsuit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How about pasta with sauces with veggies? Like tomato sauce, and process a few carrots in or something? Hmmm. It's tough!
    I don't eat as many veggies as I should, life goes on :)
    Also, sweet potato chips or fries? I like those... Otherwise, whole grains and lean meats and some fruit? No kraft dinner ;p

I'll second hummus as well. It's really good, and I'd have never thought I'd like it. Chickpeas in general, actually!
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe this will get you started: http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/kids_cooking/going_stealth
    Good luck.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Non-veggie snack:

Spiced Nuts and Seeds
    Mix 3 cups whole nuts with 1/4 cup each flaxseeds, quinoa, and sunflower seeds.
    In a separate bowl, whisk 2 egg whites with 2 tablespoons honey, 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon each cayenne, cumin, and cinnamon. Toss with nut mix. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 325 degrees until dry, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Scrape from pan while cooling, to avoid sticking. Makes 16 servings (~178 calories each).

Tuna and White Beans
    Mix 2 ounces drained, water-packed tuna with 3 tablespoons cooked white beans. Top with a simple dressing of 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and pepper to taste. Makes 1 serving (172 calories).

If you are veggie averse, you should try to vary your diet in other ways -- don't limit yourself to just chicken/beef. The more varied your diet, the more nutrients you'll get. If you don't mind fruits, then try sauteeing some chicken, then remove from pan and cook some apple slices in the pan juices. Throw the chicken back in, and serve over whole wheat noodles or brown rice. Apples or cherries go nicely with pork, and you can always make banana pancakes.

You might find it a help to make a weekly menu of meals, or a list of favorite foods. It is a lot easier to make healthy food if you have all the ingredients/have a menu than it is to stand in front of your refrigerator and try to figure out what you can eat/make.
  • hinmana
    hinmana Posts: 16
    Options
    You could do like fresh fruit plates with cottage cheese (so you get protein). Also you could make whole wheat pasta. Turkey sandwhiches or wraps.Greek yogurt is a good accompaniment to meals.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    -whole grain pastas and tomato sauce like someone else mentioned with some lean ground chicken or turkey :)
    -burritos/soft tacos with low fat beans and the fixings (try doing romaine lettuce or the leaf lettuce instead of iceberg) add some pico de gallo instead of salsa, guacamole maybe, olives, onions. sometimes that stuff doesnt taste so bad on a taco
    -use whole wheat/low carb tortilla shells
    -also can make a quesadilla. use a lower fat cheese and add some chicken in it
    -also i know you arent big on veggies but if you are big on mexican food try a taco salad with some mixed greens. once you add all the stuff in it it's amazing.
    -and try some brown rice, get the precooked instant brown rice and it doesnt taste hard and textured like the other stuff and is more tolerable you can do stir fry with some chicken with minimal veggies just chicken and rice is good too...
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to hide veggies in many different foods so that you can neither see nor taste them. That way you can (hopefully) get them down and benefit from their awesome nutritional qualities. I made a hidden veggie casserole once for my niece and nephew who both hate veggies. What they saw (and devoured) was a creamy, ooey gooey cheesy pasta. What they ate was squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, broccoli, and onions....all in one casserole. And they asked for seconds....and thirds the next night!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    People have given some good suggestions. One I've learned is to try different cooking methods. Some people can only stand them raw, some only when cooked. Some prefer them boiled others grilled/roasted. It really can make a difference in how they taste.

You might consider, though, that puking up all veggies is NOT normal. Vegetables are critical for a healthy diet - period. If you really can't eat them at all without throwing up, you should see a doctor about it and perhaps you've got something causing this (food allergies? Not sure what could cause this type of reaction.)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,041 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit and nuts unless you have some dietary restriction (like you don't like them either). Try veggies from time to time because one's tastes change. Do you hate corn or potatoes? Those are veggies, too.
  • Mindarin
    Mindarin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    fruit is healthy. ESPECIALLY berries. eat all kinds of raspberries/blueberries. blend them up with ricotta cheese and a TBSP of honey for a protein shake. :)

Also..how do you feel about tomatoes? they're technically fruits. And corn is a grain, but still has SOME of the health benefits of veggies.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    this is what i do. today i had some mac n cheese with some broccoli mixed into it with some of my veg prawns. spaghetti with some mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, etc. you can have a smoothie and have a juicy one and just throw in some greens. doesnt really taste like anything. i make banana strawberry smoothies and throw some greens in there. a serving may turn it green, but all you do is taste banana and strawberry.
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a psychiatrist? You are seriously vomiting whenever you eat ANY vegetable? An ENTIRE food group...seems pretty darn extreme and sounds like it's linked to some kind of psychological trigger...