heavy lifting vs. higher reps

Options
So I am recently getting into strength training more frequently, and really do not know much about it. I just dropped 20 lbs since the first of the year doing mostly cardio and changing my eating habits. I'm very pleased with the results I've seen so far but am looking to now lose that extra body fat and put on some lean muscle. I have become quite fond of running so I am still planning on doing that 3-4 times a week as I do now. What I'm asking is for some advice on what I should do to get more of a toned physique as opposed to being bulky. Right now I've been doing what I guess would be considered "heavy lifting". I have been doing about 30 mins of cardio, (Running or cycling) followed by 30-40 mins of weight training. Heres what I have done the past couple weeks:

5 sets of 5 reps, resting for about a minute between each, moving onto the next exercise....repeat. The last exercise I do 3 sets of 8-10 reps since they focus on smaller muscle groups. Right now I am lifting enough weight that by the last set I can rarely finish. What I'm worried about is that form is always compromised by this struggle to complete.

day 1: Incline barbell bench press, pullup, skull crushers, weighted sit up
day 2: Barbell front squat to press, barbell push press, dumbell dead lift, lying external rotation
day 3: Dumbell row, dumbell bench press, shoulder press, weighted back extension

I usually rest a day in between unless my schedule does not allow it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. I am primarily looking to strengthen and lose fat in my core and chest. I'm also going to the beach in 8 weeks and want to look as good as I can. I obviously know that this is not going to happen overnight, but I am willing to put in the effort to make it happen quickly. What I really want to know I guess is if I'm on the right track or should I be doing less weight with more reps. I've heard benfits of both. Ready....GO! thanks

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get a legit routine from bodybuilding.com or muscleandstrength.com. Look for one for muscle building/mass gain. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll NEVER get big (bulky as you call it). Getting "bulky" is waaaaaay tougher than people think it is. Lift heavy follow a routine YOU choose and keep eating a deficit, you will eventually lose fat and start to notice your muscle more or look as you say "toned" (hate that word).
  • LouisCyphre
    Options
    I'll start by saying that I am NOT a trainer so my statements are based solely on my experiences.

Do both! I have worked through the P90X workouts and other workouts as well as with personal trainers at the gym and the most effective approach I feel I have taken is to mix it up. I find that I get bored with a style after 2-3 weeks; switching it up not only keeps me interested in working out but also prevents my muscles from acclimating to the same movements/weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Fat loss usually means calorie deficit. To "bulk" on calorie deficit is practically impossible. High reps build muscle endurance and does little to actually "tone up" muscle. Lifting heavy while on calorie deficit helps to build strength and retain the muscle you already have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Fat loss usually means calorie deficit. To "bulk" on calorie deficit is practically impossible. High reps build muscle endurance and does little to actually "tone up" muscle. Lifting heavy while on calorie deficit helps to build strength and retain the muscle you already have.

IDEA Fitness member

^^^ This. Spoken perfectly bro.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Higher reps increase muscular endurance whereas heavier weight/less reps increases muscular strength. As for your worry about compromising form, you could always remove a little weight as you go on to do your next set - and still do it to almost failure (this method has a name but I can't think of it at the moment - I could dig out my university kinesiology notes but that would most definitely take more time than I have available ;)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yup Yup.

Ideally you probably want to mix things up a little Compound exercises keep in the maximal strength range, 3 to 5 reps @ 80%+ of your 1RM. Supporting exercises can be done for anywhere from 6 to 10, 8-10, 8-12 reps.

For example, this is my max effort lower body training day planned for tomorrow morning.
    a. Back Squat: work up to a 3RM
    b. Bulgarian Split Squat: 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps
    c. Good Mornings: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
    d. some kind of ab work, see how I feel...
  • Ultrafan14
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

What if you want to build endurance AND strength?
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get a legit routine from bodybuilding.com or muscleandstrength.com. Look for one for muscle building/mass gain. If you're in a calorie deficit you'll NEVER get big (bulky as you call it). Getting "bulky" is waaaaaay tougher than people think it is. Lift heavy follow a routine YOU choose and keep eating a deficit, you will eventually lose fat and start to notice your muscle more or look as you say "toned" (hate that word).

I got that routine from menshealth.com. Thanks for the advice. I guess I didnt think about the whole calorie thing. Makes perfect sense. Also, I hate the word toned too. haha didnt know what else to use tho.
  • renwicker
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Thank you for the advice. I rarely go over in calories for the day. If I do, its only a few hundred. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and find what works for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What if you want to build endurance AND strength?
    Then you cycle your workouts. Have a strength day and an endurance day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • renwicker
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone. Sounds like I'm already on the right track for the most part. Just tweak my routine as I go I guess.