Sweets Cravings :(

Options
Anyone have any suggestions? I love my work but they are constantly bringing in treats! Cupcakes, muffins, donuts, breads, ice cream, cake, candy, chocolate, etc....and I can't say no! I've had two cupcakes already today!

If anyone has some reasonable great suggestions, i'm all ears..

Replies

• Angelgirl040688
    Angelgirl040688 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    take in treat that are healthy. so when they offer you a sweet treat you can politley decline and then eat y9our own treat. so u wont feel hungry and resort to something that will cause greef...
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    I <3 ice cream and sweets.
    I actually found this recipe on MFP yesterday, and it seems curb my craving:

1 small tub of Cool Whip Free, thawed
    3 tbsp of natural, reduced fat peanut butter
    Smuckers sugar free chocolate syrup.

Mix the peanut butter and cool whip together
    Separate into 12 greased (or lined) cup cake tins
    Drizzle 1 tsp - 1/2 tbsp over each one, and swirl with a toothpick
    Place in the freezer for a few hours until frozen

I did the math, and only 75 cals a piece, its nice a creamy and def satisfying. I'm trying to allow myself to have one at night if I'm good for the day =) I can't seem to figure out how to post pics or I would XD
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    sweets are TOUGH!!!
    especially when they are provided, and all you have to do is eat them.

one thing that has helped me quite a bit is sugar free pudding.
    pop a little coolwhip on top and go to town. it seems to satisfy my cravings for sweets (and im a guy who had NO issue housing a whole stack of oreos before MFP).

another one is dark chocolate and peanut butter. i'm a SUCKER for reeses...cups, pieces...you name it...i want it.
    but milk chocolate has the most sugar in it, and who KNOWS what their "peanut butter" is...

so grab a bar of high % cacao, and a nice jar of teddy natural. little piece....little dip...eat...repeat.

hope i'm not leading you down the wrong path...but these are options that are healthier than all the white flour and stuff that's in the cakes and treats that tend to make their way into the office. :)
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    yes very helpful! has anyone had the challenge of food always being presented to them? How do you decline a delicious cupcake?!
  • JHarasek527
    JHarasek527 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but at my office it is girl scout cookies. I just try to take little bites and make one last for as long as possible.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    only advice i can give you there is to step up, flex your will power, and say no thank you.
    if it's likely something you'll regret or avoid putting in your diary, don't do it. it's honestly that simple.
    :)
  • etavi
    etavi Posts: 85
    Options
    The day I went on my diet, there were PILES of baked goods in the lounge left over from last weeks bake sale. I was offered some, and I just responded. "No thank you, I'm on a diet" People understood, and the offers stopped. Its worked so far =)
  • Jezebel_Barbie
    Jezebel_Barbie Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Well you can either decline, and stay strong in the face of any presure to eat it anyway, or eat it, log it, and respond accordingly (do more exercise, eat less somewhere else in the day).
  • happytobefit
    Options
    greatnjob keep up the good work
  • happytobefit
    Options
    just look at the serving size and go from there somtimes a box of girl scout cookies can be 450 cal if you eat the whole box that means you ytou have to do the stairmaster for 30t mins.to burn it. ggod luck
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any suggestions? I love my work but they are constantly bringing in treats! Cupcakes, muffins, donuts, breads, ice cream, cake, candy, chocolate, etc....and I can't say no! I've had two cupcakes already today!

If anyone has some reasonable great suggestions, i'm all ears..

Sugar activates the same region of the brain that cocaine does, it is no wonder that it is hard to resist. If you cut out all sugar, it will take about 3 weeks for the intense cravings to fade.
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets too. Specifically chocolate. One thing I enjoy and its only 90 calories is a fudgesicle. Also a nonfat yogurt with fruit kind of helps too.
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    only advice i can give you there is to step up, flex your will power, and say no thank you.
    if it's likely something you'll regret or avoid putting in your diary, don't do it. it's honestly that simple.
    :)
    ^^^^ This. Do you really want that cupcake to have control over you? Seriously, it's just food, you have the control. It's not what you can't have, it's what you choose not to have because it's not good for you. A treat now and then is okay.
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If I plan a treat in for after tea (which I usually do!) then I find it far easier to say no in work as you know you can have your own treat later guilt free.

Otherwise have it and just make sure you log it (and burn if off or include it in your daily allowance)

This isn't a diet (for me) its a lifestyle change, a little bit of what you fancy is fine as long as you don't go mad (and 99% of us go mad on the odd day) x
  • denisekh88
    Options
    My work just did a "healthy" potluck and everyone brought in healthy options...it was wonderful :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    yes very helpful! has anyone had the challenge of food always being presented to them? How do you decline a delicious cupcake?!

You log everything. Obsessively. Then you do your best to try to meet your calorie goal every. single. day.

Who says you can't have a cupcake every once in a while? No one, that's who!

But if you start tracking them and being honest to yourself about what you are eating, and cut those calories out of the rest of your life, you'll start thinking "this sweet nothing now and the hungries later, or 4 ounces of lean chicken at lunch and satisfied ALL AFTERNOON LONG."

Then maybe you'll still enjoy a cupcake or something from time to time, because you've budgeted for them and you are a responsible grown-up and sweets are not evil incarnate. They are evil incarnate when they start replacing significant numbers of QUALITY calories.

If you find yourself unable to stop from NOMNOMNOMing too many of them and co-workers are pushing them on you, inform the co-workers who bring them in that you've just been told by your doctor that you have a sugar sensitivity or something, or be honest and tell them you are trying to balance your diet, thank them very politely for their offer, but say for the sake of your health that you'd really appreciate it if they'd please stop offering you sweets to you directly, and tell them to enjoy one for you!

Sugars are hard. Social sugars are harder. Thankfully, this isn't Al-Anon. You won't get sugar drunk, get behind the wheel of a car, and start running down pedestrians if you have a cupcake every now and again. But you have to force yourself to learn moderation - one or two cupcakes a week won't kill your diet. Two a day is not good.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can soooooooooooo relate to what you're sayin and I too have this problem at the office. I try to fill up on protein and if I eat a cupcake or two, I have to count it into my daily cals which doesn't leave a lot left for dinner! Grrrr:frown:
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My office is always celebrating something or having leftover sweets from meetings and I sit right near where the food gets left out for people to take. So long as I don't peek around my desk to see what's there, I'm good, but the second I see it, or the second someone offers and I know exactly what's there, my willpower goes. So I know just what you mean!

I always have my own snacks so it's not like I don't have something healthier to distract myself with, but when someone offers me a delectable piece of cake, I have a hard time saying no. I have three ways of dealing with this issue:

1) I allow myself to have a small amount and enjoy it like it's the last piece of cake I'll ever have, and then I promise myself to work it off the best I can and make sure to follow through with that promise. I also cut out my plans for other snacks for later in day to help detract from calories/sugars/etc. or I decide to snack on more veggies later on to feel good about making up for a bad choice with a healthier one.

2) I remind myself that these sweet offers come around often, and if I say no today, there will always be another chance to get a tasty treat another day.

3) I say, "I'll wait and see if there's any left later" and distract myself with work for a good while before I check back to see if there's any sweets left. The good stuff goes pretty quick in my office so usually if I say, "I'll wait and see", about 90% of the time, it'll be gone when I look back, and then I can just get over it and eat my healthier snacks instead.
  • shannoni_23
    Options
    JUST SAY NO. :-) I was at a birthday party, and the mom said "have some pizza!" and I said "NOOOOO!" and she was like "oh yeah sorry." Then came the cake-she says "have some cake!" and I pointed at her and said "STOP OFFERING ME STUFF!" and she laughed and said "omg, I'm sorry, I keep forgetting. Well, have an orange" I was so proud of myself :-)
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's Club Soda Chocolate Cake

3 items
    Pam to spray 9X13inch pan
    1 (18.5 oz) chocolate cake mix moist style I like dutch chocolate
    12 oz club soda

Mix the cake mix and soda until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and put into preheated 350 oven. Bake until knife comes out clean about 30-35 min.

I put this in the database unter the title given I think. The cake mix I used and soda after cutting into 25 pieces gave calorie count of 7 per piece I think

I limit this to on a really need situation. Otherwise I try fruit or tea or coffee. Also drink extra water. Sometimes I think I need a sweet when really I dont. But lets face it some times you just need a sweet.