Sugar Cravings

Options
K8tzmom
K8tzmom Posts: 20 Member
Help!!! I've struggled with my weight for years. I've tried every diet possible, but my downfall is always candy and other sweets. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and was able to stop drinking 25 years ago relatively easily compared to stopping eating licorice, gummy bears, etc. Anyone out there relate? What has worked for you?

Replies

• justagirl2013
    justagirl2013 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking of it as a diet, think of it as a lifestyle change.

You don't have to give up sweets, candy, chips, soda, etc unless you are confident that you will no longer want them the rest of your life. For me, it's near impossible. I may be in the minority, but if I want something sweet, I eat a hershey's kiss. It's 22 calories. As long as it fits into my calories/macros, then I will eat it. I do eat healthy/clean 90% of the time, so really a few things here and there won't harm.

Just make sure you aren't eating them every day, all day :)
  • K8tzmom
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback . ;My biggest problem is I can't stop at 1. Just like when I quit drinking, I do better with total abstinence - it's getting there that's tough.
  • pjd100
    pjd100 Posts: 10
    Options
    The 12 step program of AA
  • gorisn
    gorisn Posts: 11
    Options
    i have a bad chocolate addiction, but i havent eatin any in at least 3 wks. for me it took about a week to ajust but after that it got easier. if i want something sweet i usually have a drink of diet pop. i use to hate diet pop but now im actually like it now and it hits the spot. i also find really ripe bananas to be sweet so i will have one of those if im craving. my point is, maybe u could find some healthier options to sooth your cravings.
  • pjd100
    pjd100 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sugar is one of the biggest addictions, (Alcohol is sugar) If you have an addictive personality as you have said its quite easy you have cross addicted to sugar you may have done this and not been aware of it. I was lucky and I think i have cross addicted to exersize i do about 2.5 hours a day. Another addiction I have picked up rather then drinking , is i can bing on food I have to watch it. I find this site helps when you have to put your food in each day.
    Good Luck
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    salt water taffy is also a lovely addition (20 cal/piece). I agree that it is a lifestyle change. You don't have to give it up completely, just have to learn to have things in moderation. I'm still learning that, but it's making a difference.
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to be realistic about my limitations. When I am wanting sweets & pick up a bag of candy in the store, I look at the nutrition facts & multiply the calories by how many servings there are. It's entirely possible I won't stop til the bag is gone. If I can't afford the calories, I don't buy it. This is where single serving packages can come in really handy, since I have sweet cravings daily. Congratulations on giving up alcohol, being able to do so shows you're a strong person so I'm sure you can do this too.
  • K8tzmom
    Options
    Yes, I'm thinking that getting on this website when I'm thinking "gimme candy" could work. I feel better and more in charge just reading others posts, and posting my own. Thanks to all for the many suggestions!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Help!!! I've struggled with my weight for years. I've tried every diet possible, but my downfall is always candy and other sweets. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and was able to stop drinking 25 years ago relatively easily compared to stopping eating licorice, gummy bears, etc. Anyone out there relate? What has worked for you?

Sugar cravings and addiction is the same as alcoholism...............treat it the same. Just say NO.
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I'm doing South Beach right now to combat the cravings. It's like Day 11 and I'm having massive cravings today....I'm trying to chew gum and drink water and coffee to combat them.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Theres two trains of thought with sugar cravings. One is to "Diet" and fight the cravings, the other is to change your body so that you turn your "cravings" into manageable wants.

Cut out grain products and get your carbs from LOTS of veggies and 1 serving of fruit. Your body craves it because your internal system is set up to want it....change your body from the inside out.

Wellfitlife.wordpress.com
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have sugar cravings as well. I bought fun sized candy and limit myself to one or 2 a day. Gives me what I want without me over indulging.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Try a lower carb diet and read labels. Even things that you don't think would have sugar in them, do. Which could trigger more cravings. So if you think you want to get as far from sugar as possible and not follow "everything in moderation", make sure you read the labels and learn other words manufacturers use in place of the word "sugar" in the ingredients.
  • glenoakchic2006
    glenoakchic2006 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I feel you every tooth in my mouth is a sweet tooth and I love to bake cookies, cakes, pies. i bake all the time but I don't eat what i bake for the most part. I have lost 19 lbs so far and when i'm craving that something sweet i like to have yocrunch lowfat yogurt. it's about 180 calories and they come in lowfat vanilla yogurt with oreo pieces or m&m's. Or my personal favorite is strawberry yogurt with granola. hope that helps
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    BTW I have been on a lower carb diet/lifestyle for a year now and I don't crave sugar or sweets nearly as much as I used to.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had to give up sweets for a little while until I got out of the cycle of constantly craving them. After that I was able to have them in reasonable amounts.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I eventually got it under control by substituting fruits and berries combined with either yogurt, oatmeal, or nuts, and limiting myself to only high quality DARK chocolate. There are health benefits to dark chocolate (not milk chocolate) so I build it right into my diet. The unsweetened cocoa powder in my breakfast smoothie is sweetened by the berries in there and keeps me happy all morning long. Now I won't touch a typical chocolate candy like a Hershey's Kiss - ew... doesn't taste right to me at all.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Cut out sugar, or desserts! Also I eat rice cakes instead of bread! Those things have cut my cravings down Alot! Sugar is evil!!!! Lol! And I eat 6 times a day, 3 meals, 3 snacks, and at least 8 cups of water a day, at least! Also I plan a day ahead what I am going to eat! It will save u from over eating!
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    It's all about little substitutions. If you want to eat something, eat a bell pepper. Crave something sweet? Eat a bell pepper. Want a beer? Bell pepper.

:wink: