So Sore

Options
I've just recently started exercising (I was inert/did nothing for three years) and did all 6 of these exercises two days ago: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/cardio/no-treadmill/15-minute-fat-burning-cardio-workout/?page=1

I woke up so sore the next morning, I couldn't go to work. My boyfriend advised me to do it again, as that would help my soreness, but again, I woke this morning trying not to yelp in pain as I walked down the stairs. Any advice to help alleviate/prevent this?

Replies

• kicksxit
    kicksxit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also one last note, even though this might not be relevant: the workout is supposed to be 15 minutes, but both nights, I took about 30 an hour to complete, because I was so slow and would often need to stop between reps to catch my breath.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You've been on a couch for 3 years. You need to ease in.

Start by walking with a few running intervals. Working yourself to a level of soreness that prohibits you from getting out of bed isn't making you healthier, it's making you prone to injury. I would google something like Couch 2 5K and trying that out.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems with shin spints try this exercise: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/04/banish-shin-splints-forever-with-one-magical-exercise/
  • kicksxit
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If you keep at it, it will get better as your muscles adapt to the change. I always try to move when I am sore. Go for a walk. Getting the blood flowing will make it feel better for a little while. If you sit you will just get stiff on top of the soreness and when you do decide to move it's really painful. That's why it's worse in the morning (because you've been inactive while sleeping).

Keep moving! It WILL get better!
  • kicksxit
    Options
    That definitely makes sense. I pushed myself to do it again and followed up with a painful 20 mile bikeride. My thighs loosened up by the end of it and it wasn't so tough to pedal anymore. Awesom! But After I sat down for 20 mins, though, my things were so tight and sore...I guess I gotta keep exercising to avoid the pain :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Ease into it, mix things up, and it's okay to take a break as needed. Make sure to stretch well, and stay hydrated.