PCOS and lost belly fat...pics??

Options
I have PCOS and I am working towards reducing my 33 inches waist size for a 112 lb body. I know there is no spot reduction and of course, that with PCOS it is difficult to get rid of the belly fat. But, I would like to know if there's anyone out there who has been successful in it? I'm looking for some inspiration!! Thanks!

Replies

• nuke0409
    nuke0409 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Isn't there anybody out there who has achieved fat loss with PCOS?? Wow....never realized it could be this disappointing! :sad:
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It takes time after you are being treated for it. I was put on Metformin in Nov 2009 and after a year or so I finally noticed it was not as prominent and my whole body shape changed...PCOS has a 'look' about it...and I don't look like that anymore...after 2+ years. I just saw some pics of myself in 04-06 and WOW...how my doc missed it all those years, I'll never know....

It wasn't until the last 6 weeks of low carbs, High protein that I'm really seeing a major difference. I have also started strength training...it isn't going to go away with cardio alone for me. I also am eating gobs...1800-1900 cals a day now over 5-6 meals and snacks. Blood sugar seems to stay at a steady level all day now.

The sooner you can regulate the insulin resistance the better you'll be. I figured if my body doesn't process the sugar properly, then don't put it in there in the first place. My trainer also knows what the syndrome is so she was able to help me this way...The only grain carbs I eat are oats, ezekial sprouted grain bread, and quinoa and usually no more than twice a day, if that. All my other carbs come from veges. Very little fruit, only a half a banana post run if I feel depleted, and virtually no added sugars. I stay around 100 g of carbs, 30 g of sugar, and mega protein...180-200g...I drink gobs of water so I don't worry about over doing the protein.

It is possible...I think there's some groups on here for the syndrome, so peak around a bit in the forums. Someone will likely chime in here with a link or two.
    ETA: I have pretty much figured all this out with the help of my trainer and a little web research...my doctor was pretty much no help...told me for years to eat 1000 cals a day and exercise more and I should lose weight...yah, not so much.
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Thanks much for getting back. I have been working out since 4-5 weeks and I dont want to lose any weight (since I already weigh 112 lbs for a 5' 4" height) but I struggle with losing the lower belly fat. My lower waist measures about 33 inches which feels ridiculous for my body type. I have been on low carb diet since a year now but haven't been able to have more of protein. Can you tell me what can be the best sources of protein that I can include in my diet or may be share some ideas that you have?
  • papergirl22
    papergirl22 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sure, for protein I eat a lot of chicken, salmon, tilapia, pork loin, lean red meat. I also eat eggs, greek yogurt. In general every time I eat it's primarily built around protein and veges, breakfast is eggs and oats.

If you aren't interested in losing weight, then eat at maintenance calorie levels (tons of info here on the forums how to do that) but just change what you are eating.

Also, like I said, strength training/lifting heavy....will overall help burn fat.

Read around the forums, there's lots of PCOS talk...I just shared what worked for me. We all have to find our groove...good luck!
  • striveforhealthy
    striveforhealthy Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about three years ago. I've never used any types of medications but knew getting healthy would subside my symptoms.

For me, losing stomach fat has not been an issue. I mean, I still have a stomach but it hasn't been stubborn. It's been shrinking along with the rest of me. The problem I am having is with my back fat/love handles. They have shrunk some but still very noticeable with any type of bodycon or tight dress. I have just asked assistance from my husband in setting up exercises for me to help me get rid of it by toning the area up.

I've been doing a low G.I. diet for the last year and a half and it has worked fairly well. South beach has a list of low gi foods found here: http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

Also, just go to my profile to see my before and most current which was taken about a month ago. I've lost about 5lbs since that picture was taken.
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hello,

i was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago. since then i've lost 25 lbs. i have to admit i did lose centimetres faster on my legs rather than my stomach but i DID lose it there! i mean, i don't have abs or anything yet but it's coming along.

lately i've been noticing that it's the fact that my core isn't very tight that has been adding more "volume" to my tummy rather than fat. there are a quite a few layers of fat still there and losing them would help, but working on my transverse abdominis muscles can contribute too!

try some core workouts and pilates. it's not really for fat loss, but inches lost are inches lost (or centimetres). plus a good stable core is also great for your back. try to remember to always draw your tummy in.

i have some pics on my blog, i'm not quite sure out to post them on forums yet.

anyway, keep us all updated. i'm sure we all need some inspiration!
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I wanted to know how bad/good does it get to tone your body when having PCOS and all of your replies are amazing and have given hope. I go to the gym Mon - Fri and do mostly core workouts like pilates, PiYo etc. I hope to some day post pictures of a different toned me in here (I do see a thin line of my upper abs now which I am totally excited about though they are still covered in fat)...

For all the women out here with PCOS, please feel free to chime in here!
  • nuke0409
    Options
    Sure, for protein I eat a lot of chicken, salmon, tilapia, pork loin, lean red meat. I also eat eggs, greek yogurt. In general every time I eat it's primarily built around protein and veges, breakfast is eggs and oats.

If you aren't interested in losing weight, then eat at maintenance calorie levels (tons of info here on the forums how to do that) but just change what you are eating.

Also, like I said, strength training/lifting heavy....will overall help burn fat.

Read around the forums, there's lots of PCOS talk...I just shared what worked for me. We all have to find our groove...good luck!

Thanks for your advice. I think I pretty much eat most of things that you mentioned but not enough protein. I average about 40-50g of protein every week. I just cant seem to fill myself with protein much but I am working towards it - reducing carbs and upping protein! Hope it works.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    hello all,
    ing
    I have PCOS and have successfully lost over 34lbs. My personal diet has just been eatting as clean as possible it comes out to be a low fat, high protein (very high actually), and I do get about 50% Carbs in daily (mainly Bran cereal that I have a few times a day).

To target belly fat I really have been eatting 1200-1400 calories a day (I'm 5'1). I also do cardio everyday I run on the treadmill, powerwalk, or go on the elliptical with a high resistance.

With PCOS it is most certainly possible to lose fat and belly fat, you just have to put work into it. Thats why I am a STRONG believer in Cardio. My legs are so solid now and my tummy has significanly reduced!

Please dont be discouraged and feel free to add me (:
  • Erminia29
    Erminia29 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 22 and was diagnosed with PCOS and have a horrible belly fat and love handles, it's very obvious because I'm not fat only in that area. So the belly fat was bringing me down so I decided to watch what I eat, I eat wheat and things with whole grain and my Stomach has gone down a bit, I also go to the gym a little less than once a week, but I am planning on moving it up to 3 days, also I enrolled in Zumba class I start tomorrow, I'm excited and determined to tone my stomach. I have always been slim so this is really wierd to me I never thought I would ever need to exercise or watch what I eat. When i was diagnosed I went from 120 to 140 within 4 months but it's just the belly fat that depresses me :( but I'm in this with all of you and I'm determined to loose this belly fat !!
  • DCpaleochick
    DCpaleochick Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    wow 72lbs.. you ROCK!!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to cut fat, you need strength training. Cardio just burns calories, it isn't as great at cutting fat. Now, the variable with women with PCOS, is they need low carb (not low calorie). Generally I seen around 80-100 g of carbs a day. This is how it is for my wife. But the bigger thing is heavy strength training. Pick up some weights and make sure it's heavy enough that you fail at 8-12 reps.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well.

I've found that the most effective exercise for losing belly fat is HIIT (high intensity interval training) - for example, on a spin bike, do 20 seconds MAX effort, then 40 seconds recovery. Repeat x5 to start, working your way up to 20 intervals. This will light your metabolism up, and help burn fat.

Combined with heavy weight training, you should see results.
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    bump
  • AshleyLo_44
    AshleyLo_44 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The sad thing about PCOS is that if you don't stay on top of your weight lose then you'll gain it all back and more. I've been fighting this battle for the last 8 years and it's like a yoyo. So discouraging at times.

But if you keep in mind that you have to be careful what you eat and drink and when working out you tagert your whole body and not just specific areas you will get the results you want. I have photos of my weight lose so far on my profile if you want to see a start. I've been battling other medical problems so I also have that disadvantage against me as well.

I'm here if you need anything and for anyone else dealing with PCOS as well
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    For an average person, a flat stomach starts with the diet and then the workout. Are you eating or drinking things that could stall your goals. Alcohol can be a big culprit. Now add PCOS to the mix and you really have to work. Since you aren't trying to lose weight you should focus on a diet and workout that burns fat. When you lose body fat eventually it will come off the gut. I HIIT, Strength Training, Pilates are all good options. Insanity is a good example of a workout that will get your stomach flat.
  • zurcher13
    zurcher13 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am 25 and I was diagnosed with PCOS January 2013 after 1+ years of TTC. I started at about 230 lbs. with a lot of excess fat around my stomach (the kind that sticks out further than anything else on your body). I started a low carb lifestyle change and after a few months of slowly losing weight (about 10 lbs. in 4+ months) I got on Adipex, an appetite suppressant. I lost an additional 10 lbs. in the first month. I paired it with Metformin for the second month 2000 mg per day and have lost another 5 lbs. in two weeks. I am currently at 202 lbs. but have gone from a size 20 to a 14! Most of the weight that I have shed over the last few months has been around my stomach. Personally I give credit to the low carb lifestyle change. I am still TTC and struggling to overcome my PCOS symptoms, but I feel with my current success that it won’t take me long to win the battle! Good Luck!!!
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost 180+ pounds. I didnt find it necessary to go low carb but do keep my carbs moderate. (Between 95 grams and 135grams on average). I found what worked the best for me was cardio with 1-2 resistance sessions per week (I didnt do any heavy lifting). I have maintained a good amount of lean body mass (147 pounds lean mass when i was 191 pounds). I did a mixture of les mills classes plus a mix of things like running outdoors...stair climbing (on actual flights of stairs), and also lots of body weight work and that worked well for me :)
  • JavaJael
    JavaJael Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Isn't there anybody out there who has achieved fat loss with PCOS?? Wow....never realized it could be this disappointing! :sad:

I have PCOS - managed to lose 40 lbs and go from size 22 to 14, body fat % 50+ to 26% - in 3 years (it didn't happen quickly). I did a program called Body-for-life. Probably the biggest thing is to watch your carbs, and especially the QUALITY of your carbs. That said - maintenance has been an issue for me. BFL was pretty intense, especially logging foods, and I stalled out....had a shoulder injury that would require surgery to be repaired, and then I got pregnant. I didn't gain weight while I was pregnant (either time) because I was very vigilant about my nutrition, exercise, and I was on insulin to keep tight control. Now many years later... I'm as big as I ever was, if not a bit bigger, with more health issues .... BUT I have hope. I did it before, I can do it again, even if it will be harder now with kids and being older.