New to Running...lots of questions!???!!?!?!

Options
So, I've been working out on my elliptical, walking, & running(a little). I would really like to be able to RUN a lot. Does anyone have any advice on how to train for this or how to work my way up to do this? I'm also really interested in investing in a watch that will read your pulse rate and calories burned for you. However, I don't want to spend a ton of money.What brands are good? Last question...what are some of the best running shoes or the kind you all would reccomend?

Replies

• looplooploop
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5k program. I did it and was running a 5k in no time. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    There's lots of groups on MFP too for support.

Can't help you with the HRM. For shoes, go to a running store and have them analyze your gait. They can recommend shoes for you far better than anyone on here can without seeing you run.
  • fluffymcfluffster
    fluffymcfluffster Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people use Couch to 5k. However, just google running for beginners, etc. There are so many programs to help you. In short, just start. Run a minute, walk a minute. Or, run 5 walk one for 20 minutes and slowly work up. Don't increase your running by 10% each time running. Don't over do it as you start to run. Look up a plan, and find one you think is manageable. Google has so many options.
    Use search function on this site for watches, training ideas, etc. I can't help with the watch. I bought a bad one.
    Shoes - whatever is comfortable. If you go to a running store, they will fit you for proper shoes...
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a semi-novice runner myself (I've had to run for sports before, but you couldn't have paid me enough to run just for the sake of running).

I run in Vibram Bikilas and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I have been called insane before, though. I love how I can feel the road under my feet and know if my form's off.

Also look into interval training to get started. Couch to 5k, already mentioned, is perfect. It starts you off on an easy run-walk-run-walk interval system, gradually decreasing the walk times and increasing the run times until you can run a 5k without stopping.
  • kelise89
    kelise89 Posts: 3
    Options
    i got a MIO (brand) sport watch that reads your heart rate and calculates calories, can get wet, you can time up or down. it was $45canadian. i really like it
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing C25K, loving it.
    I have a POLAR FT7, its great, make sure you get a HRM that has a chest strap. Some chest straps are more plasticy.

Goodluck with your running :flowerforyou:
  • Sb65513n
    Sb65513n Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use an app called Nike+GPS for iPhone. I love it. It had a 5k program on it I trid to follow but mostly I just ran even if it was only a block. I kept going until today I can do 6+ miles.
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    c25k...there are several different versions of this. i downloaded mine for free on my ipod. it gradually builds you up to running a 5k so i would say its a great place to start. its working for me. i think there might be one for a 10k also, but ive not tried it. i like baby steps haha best of luck!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 610 - pleased with it. That probably doesn't meet your criteria on the cost side, though. Some other Garmins may meet your needs at a more economical price point.

Ditto on all the C25K or Hal Higdon type programs. Shoes - at the very least have a running store check you out to determine if you need pronation support or neutral. Once you know type and find a brand/sinze, you can sometimes find good deals on previuos generation shoes on the online outlets. I've been a fan of Asics and Salomon (road and trail).
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Like the others have written, use a couch to 5K program to transition into running. For the shoes, it's very personal. I went to a specialty running store and they looked at my bare feet, had me walk, sized my feet, and then brought out a few to try on. They also had me try on the left one from style A along with the right one from style B. "which one is more comfortable?" Then kept that one on, and went to trying one on from style C, and so on until I was wearing a shoe that felt awesome. You'll spend a bit more there, but going forward next season's pair may be bought at the big box retailers for less money. HRM, I have a Polar and didn't actually get one until I had been running for five years. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money to calculate calories burned. Good luck!
  • goal262
    goal262 Posts: 6
    Options
    I agree the Couch to 5K is pretty good..Hal Higdon has some good training schedules too..he might be the one who does the Couch ..one. Also from recent experience, I was training for my first half marathon but I wasn't stretching enough and I developed that PAINFUL Plantars Fasciatis.( spell..?) Anyways went to the dr. and turns out I had very tight calf muscles which in turn caused the plantars pain..so STRETCH as much as possible because I have not been able to train for over 2 months and it takes up to 6-8 months for the heel pain to go away! Good luck!!
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging 3 wks ago and I am in the country so I started out walking and using telephone poles as my markers. I would walk to one pole then jog to another then walk again and so on. Now I am jogging almost the whole 4.5 miles with the exception of a some hills they really get me winded at times. I have really started to enjoy it so much I hate it when I have to miss a night.

As for the HRM I am wanting to get one of those myself and don't have a whole lot of money to spend so I am continuing to look for those. Hope this helps and good luck!!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you plan on doing a lot of outdoor running, I recommend a Garmin Forerunner or another watch with GPS. It's really nice to just hit 'start' and know your pace, distance, time, calories, speed, etc... It's worth the money. I can say that because mine was a gift!! ;)

I was a non-runner up until a year ago and I didn't follow a program. I just ran until I felt the need to walk. I now run 3 times a week 2-4 miles each time. I can't say I LOVE it, but it's good exercise.

Good luck!
  • mouser24
    mouser24 Posts: 4
    Options
    try adidas shoes. right now i have "adidas flyby" and i like them a lot. I also love saucony. i havent had great luck with nike but everyone has different feet so you may love them
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I just started running BUT just remember not to run too fast. For years I would try running and could only run for like 5 minutes straight (and afterwards felt like dying). That is until I realized that I was sprinting. Now it's not nearly as difficult.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a c25k graduate! I've been working out pretty consistently for a couple of years, but have never been a runner. Started the program at the end of January and finished by running the 3.1 miles without stopping! The program works!

I have a New Balance N4 heart rate monitor - chest strap & watch type - works great. They run about $70, but I picked up a new on on eBay for $26.

As for shoes, everybody has their favorites - you probably just need to try several different brands on and see what feels good to your feet while you're in the store. I've always bought New Balance or Asics for my workouts, and have been running in Asics. I can't afford to spend a heap of cash on those either, so I wait for the Kohls sales and coupons - that helps!
  • taranb626
    taranb626 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information everyone! I'm def. going to check out the couch to 5k! You all have been very helpful! Again, Thanks so much!
    :flowerforyou: