A Big Challenge Ahead!

Options
Hi, I am 42 years, live in England, married with three children (22yr, 17yr, 14yr). I finished a Masters Degree in Public Health in Sept 2011 but delaying going on to do a PhD because I feel I have to lose a lot of weight before going for interviews considering my speciality. I have about 200lbs to lose which seems daunting but those first steps are my biggest challenge. I feel if I do not reduce my weight in the very near future I will have to look at medical interventions which I would rather not do but my weight is now taking its toll on my body. I have downloaded the myfitnesspal app hoping this my aid my progress.
I would like to support people in their goals as I achieve mine especially those with a long road ahead. Mel x

Replies

• Marblee
    Marblee Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, im 18, and I have about 100 pounds to lose. I think what you're doing is very couragous and amazing. Taking the first step is always hardest but you can do it. My first step was to get a gym membership. I have been attendng for two weeks now and I feel oh so very good! I don't know if I have lost weight since I never weigh myself. I want to support you on your path to a better and healthoer life! Congrats on taking the first step.
  • descriptdds
    Options
    Hi! Good luck. I'm in my mid- 20s and recently started a new relationship where I've put on some "love pudge" weight-- really, it isn't more than 7 or so pounds but I hate feeling how my body changes with weight gain. My clothing fit differently, I walk differently, I breathe differently, etc. I'm small framed [but tallish] so I actually feel weight differences even as little as 5lbs. I want to be back to my fighting weight and in the process, figure out a way to not make my weight fluctuate so much [last winter I was 15 lbs lighter than I am now, which is about 10 lbs lighter than my "normal' weight.] I hope i can find a great support network and great success here, too. I don't doubt that we will both b successful in our goals!
  • AmelineUK
    Options
    Thanks Marblee for your kind words and support. Well done for going to the gym takes a lot to do that. We both have a big challenge ahead but I am sure we can make it. :)
  • AmelineUK
    Options
    Even if it is 7 pounds you need to lose it can be really difficult and it is still a challenge to keep going. Good Luck to you to descriptdds :)
  • robynatk
    robynatk Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi here! I just joined a week or so ago. I have looked at my options....gastric bypass...lapband...ect, and have decided to do it the old fashioned way. There is alot of support on here,l have 120lbs to lose. I have my good and bad days...today wasn't the best...but tomorrow is a new day. Welcome to MFP!!